Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry (/showthread.php?tid=18096)

Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Isamu Sato - 01-04-2017

I am currently working on my character and wanted to tie in a demon transformation when she takes on the role of a drk but i wanted her encounter to becoming a DRK to be in Doma, where she originates from. From the DRK storyline it doesn't sound impossible but I wanted to see if that would break lore or if that's ok.

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Kilieit - 01-04-2017

"Demons" in the XIV universe are usually a type of creature called a Voidsent. They have nothing to do with the Dark Knight class.

The origin of the Dark Knight class as it's presented in-game is heavily tied to the social structure and history of the nation of Ishgard, which is two continents away from Doma.

You have three unrelated elements here... and while it's possible to tie them together, the lore doesn't explicitly provide any avenue with which to do so.

I can provide lore readouts from Encyclopaedia Eorzea on voidsent, Doma, and the Dark Knight class, but you'll have to give me a bit of time to type it up.

ETA:
Lore book transcription: Dark Knight
Lore book transcription: Voidsent
Lore book transcription: Doma

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Sounsyy - 01-04-2017

(01-04-2017, 04:24 PM)Isamu Sato Wrote: I am currently working on my character and wanted to tie in a demon transformation when she takes on the role of a drk but i wanted her encounter to becoming a DRK to be in Doma, where she originates from. From the DRK storyline it doesn't sound impossible but I wanted to see if that would break lore or if that's ok.

Like Kilieit mentioned, the Dark Knights are a type of vigilante warrior deeply interwoven with the history of the city-state of Ishgard, and even at their inception they were merely swordsmen who held the unjust accountable when the system would not. The "Abyss" and its darkness were not learned until a much later date. So while it's possible to have similar archetypal vigilantes throughout the world (injustice isn't just native to Ishgard) it'd be very unlikely to have a "Dark Knight" from elsewhere.

It's possible a Dark Knight who either did or did not complete their purpose in Ishgard and were later chased out for heresy and murder of nobility might somehow end up in the Far East because plot reasons? Though a similar history of overthrowing tyrants also lies with the Hingashi art of Ninjutsu, which has become common in a village near the outskirts of Doma.

As for turning into a demon? Demons are voidsent who're believed to have once been people consumed by the darkness of the void. While it could be construed to make the "darkness" of the Void and the "darkness" of the Abyss related by saying a person had been consumed by the Dark Knight's Abyss - the end result remains the same, in that Demons are voidsent bound creatures from which there can be no return. A demon would need some form of necromancy or willing host to visit the corporeal plane and from there constantly gorge themselves on aether to sustain their strength and form here. In short, your character would no longer be a living Spoken creature. And anyone with any sense would attempt to kill your voidsent outright.

(That said there are people who RP as voidsent characters who idle around public places enjoying an alcoholic beverage or three on any given night in the quicksand. It's a headcanon that has some popularity behind it. If that's your jam, go for it!)

In any case, Kilieit transcribed some passages on the topics from the lore book and below I've linked some compilations on the topics I had already. Hopefully these help! ^^

-Dark Knight Lore Compilation (Does not yet include lore book additions)
-Doma, Raen, and Ninja Lore Compilation

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Isamu Sato - 01-04-2017

(01-04-2017, 07:56 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 04:24 PM)Isamu Sato Wrote: I am currently working on my character and wanted to tie in a demon transformation when she takes on the role of a drk but i wanted her encounter to becoming a DRK to be in Doma, where she originates from. From the DRK storyline it doesn't sound impossible but I wanted to see if that would break lore or if that's ok.

Like Kilieit mentioned, the Dark Knights are a type of vigilante warrior deeply interwoven with the history of the city-state of Ishgard, and even at their inception they were merely swordsmen who held the unjust accountable when the system would not. The "Abyss" and its darkness were not learned until a much later date. So while it's possible to have similar archetypal vigilantes throughout the world (injustice isn't just native to Ishgard) it'd be very unlikely to have a "Dark Knight" from elsewhere.

It's possible a Dark Knight who either did or did not complete their purpose in Ishgard and were later chased out for heresy and murder of nobility might somehow end up in the Far East because plot reasons? Though a similar history of overthrowing tyrants also lies with the Hingashi art of Ninjutsu, which has become common in a village near the outskirts of Doma.

As for turning into a demon? Demons are voidsent who're believed to have once been people consumed by the darkness of the void. While it could be construed to make the "darkness" of the Void and the "darkness" of the Abyss related by saying a person had been consumed by the Dark Knight's Abyss - the end result remains the same, in that Demons are voidsent bound creatures from which there can be no return. A demon would need some form of necromancy or willing host to visit the corporeal plane and from there constantly gorge themselves on aether to sustain their strength and form here. In short, your character would no longer be a living Spoken creature. And anyone with any sense would attempt to kill your voidsent outright.

(That said there are people who RP as voidsent characters who idle around public places enjoying an alcoholic beverage or three on any given night in the quicksand. It's a headcanon that has some popularity behind it. If that's your jam, go for it!)

In any case, Kilieit transcribed some passages on the topics from the lore book and below I've linked some compilations on the topics I had already. Hopefully these help! ^^

-Dark Knight Lore Compilation (Does not yet include lore book additions)
-Doma, Raen, and Ninja Lore Compilation

So there's no way one can be themselves and a voidsent at the same time?
Also, if I didn't classify as a Dark Kight but somehow attained the power of the abyss from somewhere else, could that be used to explain how I have the powers without being a resident of Ishgard?

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Aaron - 01-04-2017

DRK is one of those native jobs akin to Templars in Europe or Zande Warriors in Africa. Highly unlikely someone outside of Ishgard came across the Abyss powers by accident.

And generally, no... Voidsent no longer have whatever personality they had prior. Their goal is to eat aether.

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Kilieit - 01-04-2017

It's pretty clear in the lore that to be voidsent, barring a few completely exceptional historical examples, you must be a creature who originated in the 13th, became atrophied after the Flood of Darkness, and is now consumed with seeking aether in much the way that the stereotypical addict seeks their fix. Nothing is sacred - you'll lie, steal, betray, murder, go far beyond anything a moral person would in order to secure aether for your consumption. Adults and children. Innocent and guilty. Absolutely no distinction - if they have aether (which they do), you want it.

"Seeking aether" becomes your personality. It seems like any other individuality between voidsent is imperceptible to Eorzeans, because it's so obfuscated underneath the need for aether.

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Valence - 01-05-2017

(01-04-2017, 11:02 PM)Isamu Sato Wrote: So there's no way one can be themselves and a voidsent at the same time?
Also, if I didn't classify as a Dark Kight but somehow attained the power of the abyss from somewhere else, could that be used to explain how I have the powers without being a resident of Ishgard?

You can't be someone and a voidsent at the same time. A voidsent generally has to pass through rip or tears in the fabric of the physical realm to cross from the Void to Hydaelyn. The bigger they are, the bigger the rip must be, and consumes exponentially more energy.

Voidsent often pass through without their physical form from the Void as to minimize that cost and the void portal size. It's not uncommon for them to possess eorzean creatures or Spoken so that they get a new body.

Voidsent possession is a parasitic relationship that removes all control from the possessed soul and hands it to the Voidsent creature. Basically, the possessed person might still see what's happening, at best (or maybe not even), but they are trapped and can't do absolutely nothing as long as the Voidsent remains in control.

If you are interesting to know more I suggest that you play/watch the 30 first level of the thaumaturge class quests where a lalafell gets possessed by the soul of a voidsent.

People can also slowly turned into disfigured, hideous hybrid creatures if put in contact with enough Void matter, as shown by Calofisteri, an old sorceress of Mhach that used to drink void blood and other things to increase her magical power. She is no human anymore since long though. More like a half Void creature that is closer to a voidsent and lunacy than anything else.

As for Dark Arts, nothing in lore says Dark Arts didn't originate from elsewhere. However, nothing says it did. Some will argue that since it took centuries for Dark Knights of Ishgard to discover it, why would it automatically have been discovered elsewhere?

It really boils down to your interpretation of what Dark Arts are, a generic form of emotion driven struggle not unlike the dark side, or some form of more refined, specific art proper to ishgardian society?

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Cailean Lockwood - 01-05-2017

There's an Au Ra called Sidurgu in the DRK job quests, but he was taught the ways of the Dark Knight by someone native to Ishgard.

So it is possible for your Doman to become a Dark Knight, but it would most likely be through someone's tutoring.

What Dark Knights do is harness their natural inner darkness, however, if your character is infected with Void energy or is a Voidsent, then there would be plentiful dark energy to tap from.

Dark Knights and Voidsent are not correlated, but I'm sure you can spin the two together into your character. ^^

RE: Dark Knight Lore Inquiry - Valence - 01-05-2017

I would tend to argue that voidblood or void corruption tends to actually dampen a lot true feelings, emotions until the bearer turns more and more into something feral and driven by needs rather than the former.

And we know that Dark Arts are fed by strong emotions they use as a (deadly) fuel.

Don't take it as lore though, just my reasoning on the matter.