Hydaelyn Role-Players
Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start (/showthread.php?tid=18163)

Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Zhuto Moshantu - 01-11-2017

Hello Hydaelyn Roleplayers Coalition!  As the title of this thread suggests, I am a returning player to Final Fantasy XIV, but I will be returning with a brand new character - a female Seeker of the Sun, as the case may be.

I'm not very good as general introductions, so I'll just use the little template provided on this sub-forum.

--MMORPG background

Oh my word, where do I start?  World of Warcraft was my first MMORPG, and I was there for day one, or what little bit of day one that the servers were working.  I have since played every expansion for the game to date, though I have not played seriously since Wrath of the Lich King.  Wrath was my jam!  Everything since has felt like a hollow shell.  I do still very much love the Warcraft universe and I still RP in the setting, but the actual MMO is just an empty, soulless husk of what it once was.

Since that time, twelve years ago, I have been a part of many MMO launches - Age of Conan, Guild Wars 2, Wildstar, and Star Wars: the Old Republic, to name a few.  I am no stranger to MMOs.

--RP experience

I have role played in every MMORPG that I have played to date, but my experience as a role player predates my MMO portfolio.  I was first introduced to role play way back when one of my school friends' dads handed him an old copy of Dungeons and Dragons first edition.  This was in the era of 3.5, and I have been a role player since then, using various mediums and forum sites.  Anyone else remember Gaia Online?

--Character ideas/info

I plan to make a post in the making Connections sub-forum later.  I won't get into this here.

--How did you learn about the coalition?

From my roommate.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

I consider myself a medium roleplayer in most MMOs.  I sometimes take the initiative to dive into a heavy-RP mentality for alt characters from time to time, but my main characters are always approached with the understanding that some things can't be don IC, or at least should not be done IC.  I joined an RP raiding guild in WoW once.  Never. Fucking. Again.

I wanted to physically harm those people.  Ever try to clear Kharazan at-level, in the Burning Crusade, with a bunch of ninnies stopping to RP after every other pull?  Ain't nobody got time for that!

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

Nope!  Sorry.  Sad

My mommy told me not to use personal information on the internet!

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Ririla Rila - 01-11-2017

Id like to say, WELCOME to the RPC! Big Grin I look forward to seeing what your character is like (If it's a criminal, I'll definitely be poking you for roleplay! :o

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Thunderbolt300 - 01-11-2017

Hey there, and welcome aboard to FFXIV and the RPC! Thumbsup

Wrath of the Lich King will always hold a special place in my heart, both for the game and for the RP back then. WildStar came pretty close on launch- especially with the RP- but it's a right shame things fell apart within a few months after with the population bleedout and lack of content.

3.5 master race. grunt

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Zhuto Moshantu - 01-11-2017

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

@ Liliro Liro:  Unfortunately, the character that I have in mind is not a criminal and would not knowingly engage in criminal activity, though she is young and naive enough that a particularly cunning 'Godfather' could probably manipulate her into bodyguard work or errands that are not outright obviously dubious.  I would warn caution on doing so however, because if the truth comes to light, my little Miqo will not be pleased and this kitten has claws.

@ Thunderbolt300:  I'm right there with you in regards to Wrath, but Wildstar crashed and burned for me in less than a week.  I had two character ideas going into it, one falling flat instantly because her entire identity was wrapped around being a greasemonkey engineer and they made engineer a pet class.  I hate pet classes.

The other I just couldn't find RP for, since the Aurin were so stigmatized.  Perhaps rightly so, but I always seem to drift towards the races with bad stigmas attached to them and end up being indirectly, socially punished for it.

I also must staunchly disagree that 3.5 is any kind of master race!  I will agree that it is the master race of D20 systems, but I have grown to dislike D20 systems quite bitterly.  D6 systems are where it's at!  Shadowrun master race!

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Teadrinker - 01-11-2017

(01-11-2017, 04:47 PM)Wandering Seeker Wrote: I also must staunchly disagree that 3.5 is any kind of master race!  I will agree that it is the master race of D20 systems, but I have grown to dislike D20 systems quite bitterly.  D6 systems are where it's at!  Shadowrun master race!

Did someone say Shadowrun.

*foams at mouth*

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Thunderbolt300 - 01-11-2017

Huh. Surprised you weren't able to find Aurin RP- I actually operated heavily within the Aurin community for the 3 months I was there before the bleedout happened. It was arguably one of the strongest parts of the entire landscape, but then again, I was trafficking in evil Aurin eco-terrorism. I passed my days experimenting on Dominion players trying to turn them into trees. 

*insane laughter*

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Zhuto Moshantu - 01-11-2017

@ Teadrinker: I shall see your moth foam and raise you one cybernetically enhanced, orcish street samurai with a grudge against Ares Macrotech.

@ Thunderbolt300: I was playing an Aurin, but I wasn't really looking for Aurin-themed RP.  My bunny-girl was a scientist by profession, stalker by class.  I was more interested in the scientific aspect of her RP much more than the racial side, and since I was an Aurin looking for RP outside of an Aurin clique, I couldn't find much.

Again, it boils down to my RP curse.  I can never find what I am looking for, and on the odd chance that I do, the community for it is very small.  This is why I couldn't get into Guild Wars 2.  I LOVE the norn culture, but norn RP is basically non-existent.  Hoelbrak is so beautiful, but it was always a ghost town. 

C'est la vie!  Hopefully my approach to FF14 will yield me better results.  Miqo'te seem quite popular and for once, I have devised a maleable character that won't need to fit into a specific mold.

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Amnesic - 01-11-2017

@Wandering Seeker
Welcome to the RPC! I just joined in a day or two ago, having only been back to the game for a few weeks as well. It doesn't look like I'll ever get around to being on Balmung, but if for whatever reason you are around on Siren we might see each other!

I wanted to RP in Wildstar, but I only managed to get to it after the population bleed-out hit hard. Needless to say, I didn't hang around too long. I've played a bit of GW2, but I always got pulled away from it for some reason; Norns seriously deserved more play on there, but I saw so few in my time.

I came from WoW as well, leaving mostly because the game felt like an empty husk compared to the glory days of WotLK and all of my friends simply vanished over time. That seems to be my RP curse. The RP never really felt the same afterwards; it began to feel drained and less and less fun that it had been.

Also, I see your Ork street samurai and raise it with an ex-corporation ork-wannabe pacifist who rides around on a moped and lives in a tiny apartment.

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Faye - 01-11-2017

Hello there, welcome back! Big Grin

(01-11-2017, 06:47 PM)Wandering Seeker Wrote: @ Thunderbolt300:  I was playing an Aurin, but I wasn't really looking for Aurin-themed RP.  My bunny-girl was a scientist by profession, stalker by class.  I was more interested in the scientific aspect of her RP much more than the racial side, and since I was an Aurin looking for RP outside of an Aurin clique, I couldn't find much.

Again, it boils down to my RP curse.  I can never find what I am looking for, and on the odd chance that I do, the community for it is very small.  This is why I couldn't get into Guild Wars 2.  I LOVE the norn culture, but norn RP is basically non-existent.  Hoelbrak is so beautiful, but it was always a ghost town. 

C'est la vie!  Hopefully my approach to FF14 will yield me better results.  Miqo'te seem quite popular and for once, I have devised a maleable character that won't need to fit into a specific mold.

Yeah, GW2 RP was very hit-and-miss in my experience too... never did quite manage to break out there. For FFXIV at least? You should be able to find a TON of potential connections for a Miqo'te. There are at least 2 Miqo'te FC Clans out there (Morbolvine and Shroudwolf) and then there's the ShroudLife linkshell, which caters somewhat strongly toward Miqo'te (who generally are wanderers and wilderness people). I may be somewhat biased here, granted. Ahem.

RE: Returning Player, New Character, and a Fresh Start - Zhuto Moshantu - 01-12-2017

Well it took me a whole day to get it done, but here's that character profile!

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=18183

Just in case anyone in this thread was looking forward to it.