Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dragons Roleplayers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Dragons Roleplayers (/showthread.php?tid=18223)

Dragons Roleplayers - Shofie - 01-15-2017

I've been seeing these pop up a lot more lately, and I remember they were pretty prevalent in WoW's RP scene.

I'm curious if there's lore supporting the "dragons-in-disguise" thing, and I'm missing it, or if players are just being creative about how they're explaining it. Is there anything to actually back up the idea of dragons hiding out as humanoid races?

RE: Dragons Roleplayers - Shoshopu - 01-15-2017

Well, imps glamour as other monsters all the time so I imagine dragons could glamour as people if they wanted to. I don't know why they want to, but you never know.

RE: Dragons Roleplayers - Kilieit - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 02:44 AM)Shoshopu Wrote: Well, imps glamour as other monsters all the time so I imagine dragons could glamour as people if they wanted to. I don't know why they want to, but you never know.

Younger dragons appear to be ridiculously curious - and older ones might still want to see for themselves what all the fuss is about, or relive the glory days...

Presumably visiting mortal settlements wouldn't be as dangerous as it used to be, given the end of the War? So they would have a little less fear to explore.

I'm curious about the examples of the disguises though - like I know there's an in-universe rumour that dragons disguise themselves as men to walk among them, but doesn't that turn out to be "heretics that turn into aevis/etc"?

RE: Dragons Roleplayers - Warren Castille - 01-15-2017

I know a couple of sekrit dragins but I don't think the lore has any credible demonstration of dragons intentionally masquerading as Spoken races for the sake of anything. Outside of the trueblooded Ishgardian transformations we don't get anything about dragons being able to access human shapes.

RE: Dragons Roleplayers - Shofie - 01-15-2017

I'm curious because it seems like dragons would've disguised themselves to avoid the whole....war thing, if they could?

I thought about the Aevis thing, but it's my understand that they aren't "dragons", and they can't "go back" once they change.

RE: Dragons Roleplayers - Sounsyy - 01-15-2017

Here's what I could find on the topic. It's said that Dravanians are skilled with glamour magicks, but it doesn't specify if this is on the heretic side or if actual Dravanian dragonkin are also skilled with glamours. This also doesn't account for the misinformation given to us pre-Heavensward about the truth behind consuming Dragon's Blood, which is the ability Guillaime casts on himself during the MSQ fight in The Heretic Among Us, whereupon he turns into a giant Aevis. I also couldn't find an instance where an actual dragon (not a man-dragon aevis, syricta, diresaur) glamoured itself into a person. They always just use heretical agents to sow their poison in the masses.

Moenbryda Wrote:Iceheart did what? And...you're certain about that, are you? Dravanians are skilled with glamours, after all... Look─if you say that's what you saw, I believe you. It's just that I've never heard of a primal being summoned like that before.
The Heretic Among Us Wrote:Faced with Lord Drillemont's accusations, the false inquisitor declares that he cannot betray that which he owes no allegiance, and that all Ishgardians must be held to account for their persecution of the heretics. With that, he summons his Dravanian allies and endeavors to defend himself, going so far as to use his magicks to assume the form of a dragon. The ruse serves only to anger Lord Drillemont, however, and with his aid you dispel the heretic's glamour and slay his scalekin accomplices.
Guilliame Wrote:My glamours...dispelled...

More on dragon blood consumption and transformation in this other thread.

RE: Dragons Roleplayers - Teadrinker - 01-15-2017

If dragons could do this then the Hrasvelgar/Shiva thing would have been a non issue.

RE: Dragons Roleplayers - Jana - 01-16-2017

I feel like FFXIV's dragons would be too proud to glamour themselves as a "lesser" race.