Hydaelyn Role-Players
Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Using a different model in game vs roleplay (/showthread.php?tid=18259)

Pages: 1 2 3

Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Redrick - 01-17-2017

I'm curious how people feel about this, for example. I would like to play and roleplay a Ishgardian Duskwight however; I'm personally very attracted to the Wildwood Elezen face options and facial hair options; but I wish to roleplay a Duskwight. I know some people are very particular with certain aspects of roleplay and I was curious how this would be taken if I attempted it. In your own opinions how much would it bother you? (Keep in mind I'd keep away from ear clasps and keep to very dark/pale skintones I can find between the two races)

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-17-2017

Plenty of people roleplay things their model can't really do. Like my main character's supposed to be a pureblooded Garlean. The thing to keep in mind is to avoid the clearly racial/tribal characteristics. But also I mean, it's not impossible that there could have been mixed blood or recessive traits. I don't think anyone's going to be so strict as to metagame and tell you you're the wrong tribe OOCly.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Maril - 01-17-2017

I can't possibly imagine, so long as you stay away from making traits unique to the wildwood, why you'd get "trouble" for using a wildwood to play as a duskwight. Whilst I can't recall right now if there's anything super tell tale that sets them apart, I imagine it's easier than for example trying to pull off a keeper mooncat on a suncat slot due to the eyes. 

Some people rely on wysiwyg a lot so you may get people who assume them to be a wildwood, but some kindhearted explaining and perhaps turning it into a bit of an IC joke will probably get you out of it fairly smoothly. Maybe you can post some side-by-side screenshot comparisons with your wildwood-duskwight attempt next to an actual duskwight? Smile

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Kilieit - 01-17-2017

My character is off-model as hell.

Most people's are - whether it's in small ways, or big ones. At the end of the day, the character creator is still limited, and people's imaginations are boundless.

As long as major features that would change people's immediate reaction to your character are easily findable (in search info, for example) I think there's no problem with it.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Nebbs - 01-17-2017

Provided you look like the model and don't mind people assuming things IC then go for it.

I find it a pain when the character is not like the toon, which then requires explaining, extra description, having to ignore things and etc etc etc.. all of which gets in the way of getting on with RP.

The line of least resistance is generally the best.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Varinh - 01-17-2017

Ear clasps should be perfectly fine, I always imagined those to be something of a stylistic choice than possessing a lore-based root. I sympathise with the decision, as my time messing around in character creation made me grow frustrated with how dark Duskwight lips on male models are regardless of how light and peachy the skin tone might be. I don't think anyone would be concerned, so long as you're willing to acknowledge that depending on the skin tones used they might be confused for being a Wildwood.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Redrick - 01-17-2017

Oh thank you all for the fast feedback I wasn't expecting it; and I wouldn't mind the situational person asking his race and I don't think the character would either. I was just curious about everyone else's thoughts so this was very nice. Thank you all for the thoughts its very helpful    : D

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Redrick - 01-18-2017

Edit: Thank you all for the help; and I'm enjoying the discussion afterwards honestly. This is neat

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Cailean Lockwood - 01-18-2017

I had a character who has alot of piercings and tattoos, which I put into his wiki and even did some photoshopped screenshots to show them:

[Image: O2aRHaP.jpg]
[Image: gL6U3zX.jpg]

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Daevan_Emberbrand

A good idea is to write in your Search Info that there are some changes and then put in a link to where people can go read about those changes. Or simply write "Is a Duskwight" even though you use the Wildwood model. You don't have to have dark purple skin just because you are a Duskwight. My character Corin is a Duskwight, but has pale skin...

[Image: fjyfRGZ.jpg]

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Kilieit - 01-18-2017

Ya, mine's in my search info too:

[Image: a0389bfbfe.png]

The 5'8'' thing is important because my character's in-game model is something to the tune of 6'2'', and the 6 inches definitely make a difference in how people would be perceiving him. I also try to mention it in emotes if I can ("looking up at" Highlanders, describing him as short in comparison to other auri men, and so forth).

There is an overlap of appearances between wildwood and duskwight, and your character seems to hit it, so anyone hoping to tell your character's clan would have to speak to him... which gives you the opportunity to portray his Duskwighty-ness. I think you'll be all good.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Aya - 01-18-2017

Similarly, Aya is a Highlander, 5' 10", who usually is wearing 2-4" heels and so standing over 6' tall [which is noted in her search info as suggested above!].  Her model is only 5' 8", I think it is, the max height for a midlander.. it might be 5' 6". I moved her over to this model ages ago due to the Highlander perma-clenched fists (aah before /cpose! :-D ) Now its just Aya.. and I don't really want to change back.

So I understand entirely! So far no one has ever objected, though sometimes they do assume she's a Midlander, and given how similar Hyur are to one-another I just assume, ICly, that they're mistaken.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Virella - 01-18-2017

I do think it is smart if there's an option to represent your race, you should pick it. Some people will pick onto it. I can understand it for Garlean roleplayers ect, because the race isn't available to them you know?

You can still tweak the models quite nicely. Yes, even duskwight women can look good, you just need to sit down and play with the character creator for a while.

And Aya, I really thought she was a midlander all along, so there you go, the proof it doesn't always really work Tongue

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - GentleGiraffe - 01-19-2017

I don't see a problem with it.

Wildwoods don't have the same shades of gray skin avaliable to them at the character creation, but the Duskwight's also offers a variety that ranges from pale to brown to lightly tanned, so I doubt anyone other than yourself would be really able to tell the difference in game. 

That said, unless you want to make a mystery out of it, I would advise putting on your bio that you're Duskwight. Supposedly other Elezen can tell the difference between the clans, but the skin/hairstyle options are so similar that as a player I would often mistake a Duskwight for a Wildwood even though my character wouldn't.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Aya - 01-19-2017

(01-18-2017, 04:42 AM)Virella Wrote: And Aya, I really thought she was a midlander all along, so there you go, the proof it doesn't always really work Tongue
Haha! Maybe it doesn't work in the sense that "not everyone will know about it" but it does work in the sense that you do not mind that interpretation, (I presume!) and should it come up importantly I could easily correct it, and should it come up in conversation Aya would just presume it was an unimportant mistake Smile

I suspect it would be much the same for Wildwood and Duskwight, except that someone -might- be less rascist for having confused the Duskie for a Wildwood, since Duskie-cism is about the only sort of IC-racism (other than all-Lala-are-cute) that you really see much of in RP.

RE: Using a different model in game vs roleplay - Damele - 01-19-2017

I have to agree with most of the community on this one. As long as your not way the hell out in left field trying to RP something that is completely and utterly fail, you should be fine. There will always be "those" that don't like it but they are not paying for your sub!