Hydaelyn Role-Players
Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! (/showthread.php?tid=18313)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Aysun - 01-22-2017

Despite having what feels like quite a few followers, my tumblr is pretty quiet! But it's mine! As in, for me! Big Grin

While it can be disheartening to only get a few notes on something you post, don't let it make you think it's because no one likes it or cares to read it. Sometimes things just get lost in the dashboard (most of the time this, because wow so many posts if you follow a lot of people). Other times people only reblog certain things, or only like certain things/styles of things, based on what they want showing on their own blog.

RE: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Faye - 01-23-2017

There's really no recipe for what to post to gain followers. All sorts of people follow all sorts of blogs for all sorts of reasons. So really, post whatever content appeals to you. Otherwise, some tricks for gaining new followers:

1. Follow other blogs that interest you first! They may follow back
2. Tag your posts so people searching for the type of content you're posting can find you
3. Post actively without any long lulls of inactivity. Setting up a queue can help you with this (and also help you from spamming anyone's dash with several posts at once)
4. Voicing any sort of controversial opinion (or basically any sort of opinion, period) will usually cost you at least a couple followers
5. Respond to your messages, participate in people's ask memes, do memes you get tagged in and tag others in them, etc. People will be more interested in a blog that actually interacts with them and others.

Aside from that, though, I wouldn't strive for tumblr popularity. There's no pay off there, and the most tangible reward you'll find are more people to get angry when you post something they dislike. Just do you imo. If that gets you tumblr popular, great, and if it doesn't, that's great, too.

RE: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Max - 01-23-2017

Doling out original content (Screenshot edits, art, etc.) will certainly get you noticed. Engage in the community often. Run an event or two and network with others.

RE: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Ellmida - 01-23-2017

(01-22-2017, 07:49 PM)Trishelle Wrote: Wow...thank you so much, y'all! After reading your responses, I think it's safe to say that I'm focusing on the wrong thing! xD The main reason I created the blog was because I wanted more people to know about my character and all the things that make her, HER. It makes me happy to post the things I do, and I think that's what I should focus my attention on! Thanks again! :3 (lala flails)
 Personally I was never really a fan of the tumbler blogs, though I know people who use them and are happy with it. Me I tend to orient more to story posts and I like to use the forums a lot for that reason, plus it's the easiest way for me to make connections outside of game.

If you want to be able to share your character with more people you could post a link to your tumbler or check the calendar for events to bring her to.

RE: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Hixxi - 01-26-2017

Tag your posts, tag your posts, oh my god, tag your posts.

When I started my art tumblr I was really discouraged at first because no one was paying me any attention - I did not know tags were a thing. I try not to make them very specific. Something like 'screenshot' is going to be more visible than 'dunesfolk lalafell screenshot'. The other thing that has improved my rate of likes and reblogs is to submit posts to other popular tumblrs. There are lots out there that exist purely as aesthetic blogs or screenshot blogs or game blogs or writing or fanart blogs so if you submit some original content, you can check out similarly themed tumblrs and see if you can submit your link to them.

RE: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Kodie - 01-26-2017

Tough part is (for me at least) that my FFXIV isn't my primary tumblr. So when I follow, like something, or send an ask, it's coming from my primary non FFXIV account. I did specify on the front page of my tumblr that I do have an FFXIV account, but I know a lot of people won't check that. So in the end I probably losing out on some potential followers.

RE: Tumblr Popularity and YOU! - Leggerless - 01-26-2017

I'm running a bit behind, but I do a weekly post blog (aptly named XIV Squared) as my original content (and maybe a few screenshots here and there).

Really lagging behind though... guess 3.5 took up more my time than expected Tongue

Also, yea. Tagging posts. Think keywords for web searches and that's pretty much the same thing.

Edit: Now, if you want to be truly pragmatic? There's also scripts you can run from browser apps to see--from everyone you follow--who follows you back as well.