Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dark Knight question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Dark Knight question (/showthread.php?tid=18318)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Dark Knight question - Caspar - 01-27-2017

(01-25-2017, 05:11 AM)Valence Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 07:25 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If Edison never invented the light bulb, we'd never have had a light bulb! No one else would have ever created it; It simply wouldn't exist outside of that specific date and time.

...I know the lore establishes that DRKs in Ishgard discovered the arts but I'm content to let people dwell in that rather expansive grey area.

I'm content to let people dwell on whatever they like. I'm not here to judge...

Your example works only if you position yourself in a later timeframe of Edison (or whoever of the various previous inventors of the lightbulb you fancy).

If you position yourself at the exact timeframe of Edison, then nobody invented it elsewhere. It starts to get muddled since the world was already open and globalizing, but the analogy can work even better with inventions like black powder, which was indeed already used on the other side of the known world back then by the chinese among others.

But if you start taking as a frame of reference the time when they invented black powder there, and not in the western world where it was ported centuries later, then I believe to be fairly certain that they were the first to have done that and that it wasn't used anywhere else in the world.

So, my point is, maybe it happens elsewhere. Or maybe not. It's out of the lore current boundaries, and thus, fanon at best.
The analogy doesn't work either way because the quests clearly portray Darkside as a force, not something developed, unlike the name Dark Knight and the role they play in Ishgardian society as well as their fencing techniques which are explicitly Ishgardian. At least if I'm understanding Sounsyy's lore correctly. This is like arguing electricity was invented, rather than the light bulb.

The question is more how hard is it to become aware of this force, which isn't covered in the lore, so it's really speculative at best, if not forbidden or directly contradicting anything. Whether to shoulder the extra work in explaining it away or not is probably just something best left up to the discretion of individuals and RP group.

RE: Dark Knight question - Gegenji - 01-27-2017

Technically, in this situation, I would think one's emotions are the "electricity" and the Darkside/Inner Beast/what-have-you would be the "bulb." After all, the actual power comes from one's emotions, and how it manifests and is used is the Darkside/Inner Beast/etc. But that's just my take on it. Blush

RE: Dark Knight question - Caspar - 01-27-2017

(01-27-2017, 07:05 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Technically, in this situation, I would think one's emotions are the "electricity" and the Darkside/Inner Beast/what-have-you would be the "bulb." After all, the actual power comes from one's emotions, and how it manifests and is used is the Darkside/Inner Beast/etc. But that's just my take on it. Blush

Yeah, it's been said that Darkside and Inner Beast sound similar thematically so it could be a related source of power based upon emotion but until the way this power works is described in detail the correlation is murky. Along with how much is from emotion or supernatural influences. (But everything in this world is kinda supernatural.)

RE: Dark Knight question - Valence - 01-27-2017

(01-27-2017, 06:25 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(01-25-2017, 05:11 AM)Valence Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 07:25 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If Edison never invented the light bulb, we'd never have had a light bulb! No one else would have ever created it; It simply wouldn't exist outside of that specific date and time.

...I know the lore establishes that DRKs in Ishgard discovered the arts but I'm content to let people dwell in that rather expansive grey area.

I'm content to let people dwell on whatever they like. I'm not here to judge...

Your example works only if you position yourself in a later timeframe of Edison (or whoever of the various previous inventors of the lightbulb you fancy).

If you position yourself at the exact timeframe of Edison, then nobody invented it elsewhere. It starts to get muddled since the world was already open and globalizing, but the analogy can work even better with inventions like black powder, which was indeed already used on the other side of the known world back then by the chinese among others.

But if you start taking as a frame of reference the time when they invented black powder there, and not in the western world where it was ported centuries later, then I believe to be fairly certain that they were the first to have done that and that it wasn't used anywhere else in the world.

So, my point is, maybe it happens elsewhere. Or maybe not. It's out of the lore current boundaries, and thus, fanon at best.
The analogy doesn't work either way because the quests clearly portray Darkside as a force, not something developed, unlike the name Dark Knight and the role they play in Ishgardian society as well as their fencing techniques which are explicitly Ishgardian. At least if I'm understanding Sounsyy's lore correctly. This is like arguing electricity was invented, rather than the light bulb.

The question is more how hard is it to become aware of this force, which isn't covered in the lore, so it's really speculative at best, if not forbidden or directly contradicting anything. Whether to shoulder the extra work in explaining it away or not is probably just something best left up to the discretion of individuals and RP group.

But we are talking about the Dark Arts, not just the Dark Side, right?

Could take another, more organic analogy perhaps? Are martial arts invented everywhere? Yeah. Kung Fu? Too specific. Mostly comes from one place/culture.

So, the question becomes, are Dark Arts the former (martial arts), or the latter (a form of martial arts, which is kung fu)?

I'm afraid not to have any answer to that question. This is why I find it extremely hazardous to state Dark Arts are used elsewhere. Maybe another type of Dark Arts specific to that other region huh?

RE: Dark Knight question - Garrick - 01-27-2017

To weigh in here with literally passing knowledge of the lore and a 1:30am fuelled desire to post somewhere:

(Passing spoilers of my understanding of the Dark Knight story follow)

Show Content