Hydaelyn Role-Players
Timeline question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Timeline question (/showthread.php?tid=18481)

Pages: 1 2

Timeline question - Riggy - 02-06-2017

So I know that at the time of ARR starting, it had been twenty years since the Ala Mhigo was annexed by Garlemald. How much time has passed between the start of ARR and 3.5? Did the lorebook give any sort of timeline for the more recent events (although I guess it wouldn't have stuff from 3.5)?

RE: Timeline question - Sounsyy - 02-06-2017

(02-06-2017, 07:54 AM)Riggy Wrote: How much time has passed between the start of ARR and 3.5? Did the lorebook give any sort of timeline for the more recent events (although I guess it wouldn't have stuff from 3.5)?

This is a question that gets asked a lot, but unfortunately there's no one satisfying answer to give you. "Officially" less than a year has passed. Unofficially, roleplayers all measure the passage of time differently, with most aligning their rp with real time passage.

A more in depth answer can be found in the link below. My post is followed up by one of Anonymoose's and gives a slightly different take on it. Hope this helps!

-Discussion of Canon Time Passage

EDIT: Adding in a different link to a similar explanation.
-Try this link

RE: Timeline question - Riggy - 02-06-2017

(02-06-2017, 08:06 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 07:54 AM)Riggy Wrote: How much time has passed between the start of ARR and 3.5? Did the lorebook give any sort of timeline for the more recent events (although I guess it wouldn't have stuff from 3.5)?

This is a question that gets asked a lot, but unfortunately there's no one satisfying answer to give you. "Officially" less than a year has passed. Unofficially, roleplayers all measure the passage of time differently, with most aligning their rp with real time passage.

A more in depth answer can be found in the link below. My post is followed up by one of Anonymoose's and gives a slightly different take on it. Hope this helps!

-Discussion of Canon Time Passage
Okay, so it's in a similar position to the passage of time in that other MMO (i.e., whatever feels convenient to the plot).

Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work with my phone, though. :/

RE: Timeline question - Valence - 02-06-2017

It has been 25 years that Ala-Migho got invaded, actually. It was 20 years ago for 1.0, and since ARR happens 5 years later... That's 25. Technically you can make that almost 26 since... Well. What Sounsyy said above.

RE: Timeline question - PSDuckie - 02-06-2017

I treat it as if three years have passed between the beginning of ARR and the current time.

RE: Timeline question - Riggy - 02-06-2017

(02-06-2017, 03:49 PM)Valence Wrote: It has been 25 years that Ala-Migho got invaded, actually. It was 20 years ago for 1.0, and since ARR happens 5 years later... That's 25. Technically you can make that almost 26 since... Well. What Sounsyy said above.
But wasn't it invaded in 1557, and 1.0 was 1572?

(02-06-2017, 03:49 PM)Valence Wrote: It has been 25 years that Ala-Migho got invaded, actually. It was 20 years ago for 1.0, and since ARR happens 5 years later... That's 25. Technically you can make that almost 26 since... Well. What Sounsyy said above.

This is incorrect. Ala Mhigo was invaded in the Year 1557, 15 years before 1.0 (1572). Now five years later it has been 20 years.

RE: Timeline question - Kismet - 02-06-2017

I personally go by the passage of real-life time because following anything else is way too confusing -- for ME, anyway. So I'm in the camp that's treating the current in-universe year as 1581.

RE: Timeline question - Flynn Rosenberg - 02-06-2017

Seasonal events also mention that they've met you "last year", so I'm seeing it in a mixed bag. That said I also RP that time has flown with real-time from ARR to present. If the devs came out and said we're in a bubble, or point out exactly how long it's been since Bloodstorm and ARR, I'll be happy to knock off some time to match with the date they present.

Interestingly, Yoshi-P commented on the Bloodstorm teaser that some time has passed. We dont know exactly how long. Passed since when? I'd like to get some closure on this by the time it comes out.

Edit: Even if the devs announce that Bloodstorm begins 3 or 4 years after ARR (though unlikely), then we as a community who have mostly RPed with time passing as real-time, would not have to take any action or reaction to this. Not like SWTOR were a timeskip was forced, but we can easily just say we've RPed those 3 or 4 years between ARR and Bloodstorm, no need for a timeskip. Anyway, that's just speculation. Probably won't happen.

Quick personal PSA for roleplayers to consider: The Year 1577, or any year past 1572 does not exist in the Eorzean calendar, please do not use 1577 ICly in RP. Upon every Umbral Calamity and every Astral reset, Eorzeans reset the calendar year at Year 1. Similarly to how factories reset the sign that says “NO ACCIDENTS IN 37 DAYS” when there is an accident on the 38th day. The Eorzean calendar year is essentially saying “THE WORLD HAS NOT GONE TO HELLS IN A HANDBASKET IN 1572 YEARS.” If you tell an Eorzean that it’s the Year 1577, you’ve essentially told them that the Calamity never happened.

RE: Timeline question - Aya - 02-06-2017

As much, or as little as desired or needed... I think that's really the best answer here, and I am not saying that to be cute or anything!  The timeline once ARR begins seems intentionally nebulous, and even if they try to nail it down it wouldn't necessarily pay to cleave loyally to it. 

Just do the best you can, and enjoy the details while not sweating them too much.  That's my advice anyway!

RE: Timeline question - Kismet - 02-06-2017

Huh. The calendar reset thing is actually news to me. Guess I just missed it, lol. I will update everything accordingly, then!

RE: Timeline question - Nebbs - 02-06-2017

So it sounds like we just play it vague. So long a you don't become your own Farther it should be fine. It also explains how those rapid pregnancies work, and why a watched pot never boils.

With actual RP I could probably add up several years IC, and I do like characters to progress so I will go with a fuzzy age on things.

Still that 101year spell will only take a few days nowWink

RE: Timeline question - Valence - 02-06-2017

Annd, I cannot read source material properly it seems. Frustrated

Other than that I play it as in a compressed time bubble. I will maybe RP once, twice a week (or less, or more, but it applies to everyone). All the blanks around can be taken as way more short. Eventually, it can turn 4 real life years into less than one eorzean cycle.

RE: Timeline question - Kilieit - 02-06-2017

IDK, I figure out my main's "downtime" pretty rigorously. There's a lot of boring off-screen stuff he does between sessions and if anything he doesn't have enough time to get all of it done, not the other way around.

And like... I feel like most people acknowledge seasonal events in RP... so do you just pretend that there are 3 Risings/Starlights/Heavensturns/etc in a single cycle? Does every character get one nameday to celebrate, and that's that, because their next one would fall outside the time bubble?

Here and WoW I've been a proponent of the real-time approach to RP, simply because it's the Occam's Razor in terms of making sure everyone's on the same page regarding stuff like how long it's been since the last session happened and what time of year it is in terms of seasons.