Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" (/showthread.php?tid=185)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Eva - 07-07-2010

I find, and this is just my own personal opinion, that Voice chat tends to be prohibitive to fluent RP. Normally the less I know about my fellow RPers and their real lives, the more easily and naturally I'm able to RP. I think voice chat is a great utility for instances and events where teamwork and coordination are needed 'OOCly', but I'm not sure that there will be much of a demand for a RPC vent.

Again, that's just my 2 gil on the matter. Others may disagree. Wink

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Renaise - 07-07-2010

Eva Wrote:I find, and this is just my own personal opinion, that Voice chat tends to be prohibitive to fluent RP. Normally the less I know about my fellow RPers and their real lives, the more easily and naturally I'm able to RP. I think voice chat is a great utility for instances and events where teamwork and coordination are needed 'OOCly', but I'm not sure that there will be much of a demand for a RPC vent.

Again, that's just my 2 gil on the matter. Others may disagree. Wink

Id pretty much agree here, last time we had a Ventrilo server it was quite popular to being with then we noticed that people ended up talking instead of role-playing. Granted it is handy for any in game stuff that requires planning and tight organisation.

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Eva - 07-07-2010

To amend, I'm not sure that there are any plans on having something organized like an instance or 'BCNM'ish style event where coordination is required (who remembers the old psycho/hystero/terro anima orders for the old Promy runs before they gimped them horribly to the point where people are now like 'lolAnima'? ^_^ ) Something like Ventrilo would certainly have helped coordinate the group's efforts on that. I don't know that the RPC has any plans on doing anything like this on a larger scale, though there may be people from various guilds that team up for such endeavors. My thought would be that if some of the guilds used Vent servers, it could be done there. And as cool as I think it would be to have a 64-person FFXIV equivalent of Dynamis, and a bunch of RPers from various guilds coordinating pulls, sleeps, etc... I just don't see it happening. Sorry, this was sort of tangent-ish.

P.S. Nice Fez! Laugh

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Renaise - 07-07-2010

Eva Wrote:P.S. Nice Fez! Laugh

Thanks XD Fezs are cool Tongue

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Guest - 07-07-2010

Ah, how I fondly remember many o' deaths from wrong anima orders. For my opinion I could care less one way or another about a voice program, but have to ask the question... Is it that hard to stay IC when voicing rather than typing?

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Shamadconde - 07-07-2010

Well when someone is a man playing a girl or vice versa, the actual kinda takes you out of the experience. There are ways around it but the average RPer probably won't go for it.

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Kylin - 07-07-2010

Just as a note guys...you're all getting terribly off topic from the main point of this thread. Too much more and I'll have to do a thread split Laugh

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Shamadconde - 07-07-2010

Anyone else see that squirrel?

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Guest - 07-07-2010

Is it behind that bunny over there?
/em points thataway
Laugh

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Seraphine Felstar - 07-08-2010

Since it seems like this thread discussion has ended, I'll do as Castiel suggests Laugh

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Kylin - 07-08-2010

*Shoots the squirrel, and then the bunny* :twisted:

Here are my proposals for the issues mentioned thus far (excluding #8).

1. How do we select a server if the names have not been released yet?

Select server number 7 on the list. Why 7? Based on the projected number of starting servers, this should fall somewhere in the middle of the list and thus, not be overly populated nor under populated. In the event that the server list shifts its order constantly on the selection menu (for instance, Cid server is listed first for one individual but is number 8 on the list for another as SE's method to keep servers evenly populated), we pick the first one that starts with the letter L. If no server starts with L, we continue down the alphabet (M,N,O,P, etc).

2. What if the server selection is random?

People will have to reroll characters. There is no getting around this. Collector’s Edition players can quickly select their server in a quick 24 hour period and then start gathering on said server. Mass efforts by the community to gather plenty of world passes will be necessary.

3. What if Friend Passes for server selections are more expensive then a starting character can afford?

We will form a temporary RPC “bank.” Each player who purchases any world passes will be recorded on a public list along with the amount they paid. After about a week or two of having settled onto the server, the RPC will organize an in game farming run to raise the money back and redistribute it accordingly.

4. What if SE designates more than one RP server?

We will vote between them. In the event that there is not enough time to vote, we select the second RP server on the list. In the event that the server list shifts its order constantly, we select the server name where the first letter is closest to the letter L.

5. What if we end up with more RP'ers then the server can handle?

An overflow server will be voted on. We should have a good grasp on the number of Rpers we’ll have by late August.

6. What if due to some conflict/misunderstanding/confusion/etc one or more guilds ends up on different servers?

We hash out the misunderstanding immediately on the forums and get everyone reorganized on the appropriate server. There is no reason to not reroll another character on another server if you’ve only been playing less than a week.

7. What if our promotional efforts don't work and we fail to mobilize Roleplayers to our servers?

We stand by the RPC’s selected server and continue promoting it as the unofficial RP server. If it is ignored by the player base, so be it.

8. What if a significant amount of Roleplayers cannot convince their friends to join the same server we select as a group?

In the end, we must do what’s best for the RP community as a whole. Individuals who have non-RP friends are encouraged to mobilize their friends on the unofficial RP server in any way feasible. However, it is ultimately not the RP community’s responsibility to mobilize those not interested in RP.

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Satrina - 07-09-2010

I'm all for an "unofficial" RP server but I don't really wish to join a vastly underpopulated server. PvE is a passion of mine and i'll be doing a whole lot of it, so I would rather not have a server like Moon Guard on WoW where 90% of the population were lvl 1-20 alts all tavern sitting. A medium or high population server would be great. I don't foresee a server ostracizing the RP community, as most people from FFXI took part in some sort of RP at times back in the day. Also not having any sort of PvP within the game will attract a lot less assholes to the game, which again will make the chances of people flipping over there being RP on a server very unlikely. As for random selection I would hope by now that will no longer be the case, and I don't think it will. When I went back to FFXI a few months ago on a trial I noticed you could select you server now from a list. I don't think SE will revert back to the random server after having fixed that issue (No one liked the random server crap).

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - River - 07-09-2010

I approve of all of these suggestions, Castiel. As to concerns of underpopulation, there were somewhere around 14 well-populated servers at North American release for XI (one year into the Japanese release). Taking these numbers into consideration, perhaps we choose number 4 on the list rather than 7. (or the closest to the letter L.)

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Aveline - 07-09-2010

Quote:I'm all for an "unofficial" RP server but I don't really wish to join a vastly underpopulated server. PvE is a passion of mine and i'll be doing a whole lot of it, so I would rather not have a server like Moon Guard on WoW where 90% of the population were lvl 1-20 alts all tavern sitting. A medium or high population server would be great.

I agree with this completely. An underpopulated server sounds like not much fun. Sad

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Tadir - 07-23-2010

Does closest to the letter L go both ways? As in, would K win over X? Or does it go from L on, looping back to A at Z?

Just trying to clarify.