Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" (/showthread.php?tid=185)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Kylin - 07-23-2010

Well, now that we have more info with the release dates and have had time to think over some of this...

I think it would be in our best interest to have a poll no matter what happens. Some people might be furious that they don't even get a chance to vote on the unofficial RP server. The collector's edition people will have access to the servers before the rest of us. Thus what could happen if we don't have server lists released before then is:

Someone who bought the collector's edition immediately puts up the poll with the entire server list (I would have various safeguards in place already to prevent abuse of the voting system). The poll would last for a mere 24 hours (no time to waste since people are already playing the game). For those not familiar with how voting here works, we usually leave formal polls up for 7 days. That wouldn't be a viable option in this scenario though. After the 24 hours ends, the winning server would become the unofficial RP server. Those who have to reroll shouldn't have an issue in doing so since it's only been 1 day since they started playing (and most of that day would probably be spent downloading the game and update patch Laugh ).

I personally think it would be best to just forget about choosing the server closest to a certain letter or a certain number on the list. A short 24 hour vote would be much better. Of course, people would be warned a week in advance before this via mass email if we don't have server lists made public by that point.

Objections? Did I even make any sense? >.>

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Aveline - 07-23-2010

I don't know.. I think choosing '7th server on the list' makes it easier for everyone. The only case in which it wouldn't is if S-E starts randomizing the server selection list for each person. Not sure if that will happen, but if it did that would throw everyone off.

HOPEFULLY we have the names of the servers before the C-E comes out. I am guessing we will and here's why: The people in the beta get to take their names with them to the final release, and they've said they want to give players migrating over from XI the same option. It's unlikely they are going to reserve everyone's name for ALL servers, so when the time comes to reserve your character name, they will probably give people in beta a list of the servers and ask them to pick which one they want their name reserved on. It seems like at that (hypothetical) point is when the best time to pick a server will be. They may have some weird mojo way of doing it that makes no sense though, so this could be totally off.

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Kylin - 07-23-2010

Does anyone know if they released FFXI server names before release? If they did, it's probably a safe guarantee they'll do so again. If not...well then it's anyone's guess as to whether they will or not. I realize the server selection process was random then but not sure if they still released the list or not.

Edit: I guess a better question would be if it's common for other MMO's to release server lists prior to release. I've actually never paid attention to that in my past MMO experiences.

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - ArmachiA - 07-23-2010

Aion did. They released their server names when the open Beta was out.

Re: Server Selection P2: "What if's?" - Bear - 07-23-2010

I think the biggest problem with RP servers right off the bat is that they are never regulated properly, you always see people with retarded names speaking like their vocabulary consists of 4 words, and they can't even spell them properly.

That said, I'd still like to start on an RP server XD, but I think I'll end up playing on whatever server the majority of this community chooses.