Hydaelyn Role-Players
Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP (/showthread.php?tid=18578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Sounsyy - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 10:23 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: I have to wonder what daily life for people under Garlean occupation is like for the average person? Is it really so bad? What about Garlean occupation is so terrible for the average person?

It apparently varies depending upon the ease of the nation's annexation. Nations who resist Imperial rule face a harsher regime than those who willingly accept or surrender to the Garleans. I think this will be one of the larger themes explored in the upcoming Stormblood expansion - seeing Ala Mhigo's unwilling occupation contrasted against Hingashi's quiet obedience. Not that Hingashi's cities - Bukyo and Kugane - really have much choice in the matter, considering the Garlean Empire has already wiped two of Othard's larger city-states off the map.

Life for the average citizen? Annexed peoples cannot worship any belief or deity. They have no say in their government. To be afforded any rights, they must endure twenty years of military service or be talented in a titled profession. Their children are taken from them and sent to Garlemald to be brainwashed with Imperial ideologies. Ilsabardian nations, such as Dalmasca, have endured nearly fifty years of this. Othardian nations twenty-five or more years. Ala Mhigo, twenty. Though much of the day-to-day productive life may have been preserved, a large portion of their autonomy and culture was stripped from them. If that's worth slightly more advanced technology, trains, airships, and augmentations that may or may not be readily available to citizens not part of annexed nations is unknown.

Waning of the Sixth Sun Wrote:The new imperial army, now swelling with the might of countless assimilated nations, methodically subjugates the eastern continent of Othard and the remaining lands of Ilsabard, welcoming those nations willing to bow to imperial rule, while erasing those which refuse the Garlean standard.
Cid nan Garlond Wrote:Wherever the Empire goes, misery invariably follows in its wake.
Lodestone Wrote:Employing suppression and conciliation in equal measure, Garlemald indoctrinated the peoples it conquered, thus integrating them into its ever-expanding territory.
On Garlean Hierarchy vol. 2 Wrote:The "Aan" title is bestowed upon the peoples of annexed territories and indicates that they lack even the most basic rights afforded to a citizen. However, many Garleans view this as an opportunity rather than a condemnation, as citizenship may be granted to those who have demonstrated exceptional skills, as well as those who have contributed twenty or more years of military service.
The Mythril Eye: Materia Monger Wrote:"Beast tribe" is a designation of Garlean origin, given to those races the Empire deems detestable. Equivalent to an earmarking for extermination, the label is attached on account of association with primals—beatific beings who, amid certain circles, command godlike reverence. In stark contrast, the primals are held in highest hatred by the Garleans, who, besides calling them by the derogatory denomination eikon, have sought to suppress with startling single-mindedness any species suspected to summon them.

What we do know are the actions of the Imperial regime over Doma, Ala Mhigo, and Bozja. I find it hard to believe an empire willing to readily commit the atrocities below holds any great value for its annexed peoples, whether or not they resisted oppression.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:For long years thereafter, the Domans tasted the bitterness of life as Garlean subjects.
Yugiri Wrote:For many years, my nation, Doma, suffered under the yoke of imperial rule, and my people yearned to be free. Thus, when a war of succession broke out in Garlemald, we sought to take advantage of the chaos and reclaim our liberty. Alas, our enemy proved less preoccupied than we had hoped, and our rebellion was put down in the most brutal fashion.
Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:In the aftermath of the rebellion, the Garleans withheld any and all mercy. Those who took part in, or even supported the insurrection were given public executions, as were their families.

Glaumunt Wrote:When Ala Mhigo fell, they put my family in a camp. Bein’ a lad, I was made to do hard labor, while my mother an’ sister were made to do far worse… They hid their sufferin’ from me as best they could, but I knew, an’ the thought of it drove me mad. We had to escape. An’ so I hatched a plan to get us out o’ the city. We were pickin’ our way around a gorge not far outside the walls when they caught up with us… An’ rather than allow ‘emselves to be taken again, my mother an’ sister leaped over the edge before my very eyes. Heartbroken as I was, I didn’t put up a fight when the imperials clapped me in chains an’ dragged me back.
Brutish Resistance Member Wrote:The Empire is using Ala Mhigo as a breeding ground for new soldiers. Once children reach a certain age, they are taken from their parents and sent into the north for training…never to be seen or heard from again.
Cid Wrote:He spoke of rapid fortifications being made in Ala Mhigo, and of Ala Mhigans being driven by lash and brand to make them. He painted a godless picture, and I fear the reality of it even worse. A spy must needs smother his own feelings─to deny all that defines him. He had to stand by and watch Ala Mhigans beaten and worked and starved to death. It is enough to drive any man mad…
Hagilo's Letter Wrote:"Latest reports indicate Imperial Legatus Nael van Darnus has left eastern theatre. Joining forces on the western front.
"Changes made to invasion plans by high command. Fighting grows more fierce, imperial soldiers seem…changed. More savage, violent.
"New magitek devices deployed to strongholds on western front. Have been assigned to installation labor…"
"Radulf… They force us to kill daily* - something, anything. If only to keep us in the habit. They seek to make it a reflex in us. My grip on things is slowly slipping - on my faith…and my mind. I don't know who or what I am anymore. Darkness descends from all sides… Yet there at the center…there, brilliant, unwavering, and whole…my beacon, my lodestar…Ala Mhigo."
*Hagilo's letter takes place during Nael van Darnus's reign over Ala Mhigo during 1572. Baelsar wasn't quite as savage, but Zenos yae Galvus sounds like he might be near Darnus's level. This also means that Darnus ruled in Othard previously, likely meaning some Far Eastern nation suffered similarly under her rule there.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Mere days after receiving the Emperor's blessing, nan Garlond would soon travel to the Garlean city of Bozja in Othard to conduct the first attempt to communicate with Dalamud. The immensity of the satellite's power was indeed confirmed that day, but at a disastrous cost. Nearly five millennia-worth of amassed energy was directed by the moon to the citadel's makeshift transmission tower. The beam emitted by Dalamud was so intense that not only the tower, but the entire city was evaporated in an instant. Efforts were made by the Imperial Censors to hide the event from public scrutiny, but the vanishing of a major commercial center was too big a secret to suppress. News of the catastrophe quickly spread across Hydaelyn and later became known as the Bozja Incident.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Sylentmana - 02-23-2017

So @Sounsyy...its pretty bad. Like, really, really bad.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - LiadansWhisper - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 10:17 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: So @Sounsyy...its pretty bad. Like, really, really bad.

Yes. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably hasn't been paying attention.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Sylentmana - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 01:29 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 10:17 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: So @Sounsyy...its pretty bad. Like, really, really bad.

Yes. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably hasn't been paying attention.

I wasn't under the impression that it was good by any means. After all, conquered people rarely ever have good, but I was unaware of just how bad it really was.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Seriphyn - 02-23-2017

Yeesh, I know rape of women and girls by soldiers is very much a thing in history, but not sure if it's needed in FFXIV.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Cailean Lockwood - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 02:22 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Yeesh, I know rape of women and girls by soldiers is very much a thing in history, but not sure if it's needed in FFXIV.

FFXIV touches upon ALOT of serious subjects, just by hinting it through various NPC's around the world. Abuse, suicide, all that good and dark stuff. I'm sure something as rape is also mentioned or implied somewhere in the game already.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - LiadansWhisper - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 02:22 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: I wasn't under the impression that it was good by any means. After all, conquered people rarely ever have good, but I was unaware of just how bad it really was.

It seems that if you just surrender quickly, things will go easier for you. Well, as easy as having your children ripped from you after a certain age, and losing what rights you had as a citizen of your country/city state. But if you fight, things get far worse.

I imagine that the slave-like state of Ala Mhigo is a result of its population refusing to bend the knee. It seems it was a minority that welcomed Garlemald after deposing their mad King.

Now imagine what they will do to Eorzea should the Grand Companies and Warrior of Light fail?

(02-23-2017, 02:35 PM)Ethanial Levinstrike Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 02:22 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Yeesh, I know rape of women and girls by soldiers is very much a thing in history, but not sure if it's needed in FFXIV.

FFXIV touches upon ALOT of serious subjects, just by hinting it through various NPC's around the world. Abuse, suicide, all that good and dark stuff. I'm sure something as rape is also mentioned or implied somewhere in the game already.

Yup. Go run Sastasha.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Cailean Lockwood - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 02:38 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

Yup. Go run Sastasha.

Oh right, already at the very first dungeon we see those women kidnapped and abused by the pirates.

So there you go.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Yssen - 02-23-2017

(02-23-2017, 02:40 PM)Ethanial Levinstrike Wrote:
(02-23-2017, 02:38 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

Yup. Go run Sastasha.

Oh right, already at the very first dungeon we see those women kidnapped and abused by the pirates.

So there you go.

Also in Little Ala Mhigo, by other Ala Mhigans no less. This game does not flinch in a lot of places.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Sounsyy - 02-23-2017

It's an aspect of this game's storytelling that I've seen a lot of complaints about, yeah. To their credit, in most cases it can be easily glossed over if you're not paying attention because they usually just imply it, but it's definitely there. A lot.

Show Content

This game definitely has a lot of darker themes. It was actually a lot darker in 1.0. ARR is toned down quite a bit. It's all still there, but the game's a lot less in your face about it now, which I'm not always a fan of, but I think is a good thing in regards to certain themes.

...But yeah... prepare to see the aftermath of Garlean incursion in 4.0. This topic will likely come up sporadically.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Solenne - 03-29-2017

(02-22-2017, 08:00 PM)Sounsyy  Wrote: It apparently varies depending upon the ease of the nation's annexation. Nations who resist Imperial rule face a harsher regime than those who willingly accept or surrender to the Garleans. I think this will be one of the larger themes explored in the upcoming Stormblood expansion - seeing Ala Mhigo's unwilling occupation contrasted against Hingashi's quiet obedience. Not that Hingashi's cities - Bukyo and Kugane - really have much choice in the matter, considering the Garlean Empire has already wiped two of Othard's larger city-states off the map. 

Do we actually know that Hingashi is under Garlean control? I know we see soldiers in Kugane in the trailer that appear to be Garlean, but that's a city that is apparently open for trade with other nations, including, perhaps, Garlemald. Pretty much the only things we know about Hingashi is that it's isolationist, and it would be hard to say that about a country that's under imperial rule, wouldn't it?

Also, you mentioned in another post that the Domans tried to go to Hingashi and were turned away before they went to Eorzea (do we know that for certain, btw?). Would they seek haven in a state already ruled by Garleans, the people who just tried to wipe them out?

I'm desperately trying to find any scraps of information on Hingashi that I can because I want to make a samurai character from that country, but the information I'm reading seems very conflicting.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Kilieit - 03-29-2017

IIRC, the NIN 30-50 quests cover the mechanism of Hingashi's annexation fairly extensively? Or am I mixing up my islands xD

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Solenne - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 12:50 AM)Kilieit Wrote: IIRC, the NIN 30-50 quests cover the mechanism of Hingashi's annexation fairly extensively? Or am I mixing up my islands xD

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure it focuses on events that occur on the mainland. Princess Yuki talks about the fall of Doma, and Hingashi is never mentioned as far as I can tell from the journal entries and cutscenes. I did not save the quest text, though.

RE: Stormblood may change the entire paradigm of RP - Kilieit - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 01:19 AM)Solenne Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 12:50 AM)Kilieit Wrote: IIRC, the NIN 30-50 quests cover the mechanism of Hingashi's annexation fairly extensively? Or am I mixing up my islands xD

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure it focuses on events that occur on the mainland. Princess Yuki talks about the fall of Doma, and Hingashi is never mentioned as far as I can tell from the journal entries and cutscenes. I did not save the quest text, though.

30-50, not 51-60.