Hydaelyn Role-Players
When joining a FC becomes a job - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: When joining a FC becomes a job (/showthread.php?tid=18596)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Aaron - 02-21-2017

[Image: CyFyMRL.jpg]

Lol on topic though can't say I had that problem. The FC's I've been in I was always a special case or personally invited so I never had to do any apps. But it sounds pretty much like a job interview now which depending on your time investment in the game can or can not be taken the wrong way. I know the REALLY dramatic people even get offended by it when they aren't accepted iirc

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Tyndles - 02-21-2017

One person can truly, TRULY fuck a FC up if they really want to. Especially if it's a big company with a lot of cliques or loose friendships, so being extreme in the recruit process is important. Being SLOW is not.

So while It's a little frustrating, if I have to jump through hoops, I generally know the FC is worth it.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Faye - 02-21-2017

Because FC's can sometimes get half a dozen applications a day (and upward) and that's even after weeding out the lazy people who say "fuck this" after seeing there's an application to begin with. Because they want to make sure that out of all those applicants, you're one of the better ones, and you're serious and committed and not applying to their FC on a whim or making it one of your 30 prospects. Because a toxic person joining your FC even only briefly can cause major damage, so FC's want to do as much vetting as possible to try to ensure there's no way this happens--and there's no foolproof way, so they take any and every precaution they find useful.

I see you say you're joking and all, but people don't tend to make these kind of jokes unless they seriously believe in the idea at the heart of it all. One complaint here that's legitimate though is when you're application process is halted for like a week because the people needed are never online. Screw that noise.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Sylentmana - 02-21-2017

I keep it simple and just don't join FCs. I'm a loner by nature so even if I joined one the only thing that would change would be my chat is now filled with FC members talking to each other.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - RiniKett - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 06:04 AM)Faye Wrote: Because a toxic person joining your FC even only briefly can cause major damage, so FC's want to do as much vetting as possible to try to ensure there's no way this happens--and there's no foolproof way, so they take any and every precaution they find useful.

This is why I am thorough for Wayfarers. Why? I have been there. We once had no requirements, instant invites, and no structure. It was, to be frank, utter chaos and horrible horrible things.

But really I don't try to weed out the bad, as I don't believe that any person is, and I quote from John C. Reilly, 100% a dick, but rather I look for those who will not only fit in with others here for the current members sake but for the applicant as well. We've all been there. Applying for a guild only to make it in the guild and then go 'eeehh I think I'll keep looking.' So that's just me. I like to ensure everyone knows what kind of pool they are dipping into. Cheers : )

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - C'kayah Polaali - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 06:04 AM)Faye Wrote: Because a toxic person joining your FC even only briefly can cause major damage, so FC's want to do as much vetting as possible to try to ensure there's no way this happens--and there's no foolproof way, so they take any and every precaution they find useful.

So much this.

I've never seen a FC in Final Fantasy with a particularly onerous application process. Most involve talking to an officer, which is only reasonable. We do the same, in BLACK. I've heard the application process for some endgame FCs involve things like examination of server standings, but I can understand that, considering their particular focus.

I've also got to add, with some amusement, that the OP should check out the application process for large corporations (guilds) in EVE Online. Many of them insist on things like screenshots of your character selection screen, so they can have proof of who all your characters are, and detailed examination of your forum posts.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Nebbs - 02-21-2017

"You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"  .. and isn't finding new members the reason a FC recruits?

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Kilieit - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 01:47 PM)Nebbs Wrote: "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"  .. and isn't finding new members the reason a FC recruits?

Finding quality members (as defined by the FC's culture) who will add something to the FC as a whole with their presence. Not just finding literally anyone.

Way back when, my guild had a relatively long application process (read the rules, confirm you've done so, answer 3 questions, wait 1 day while the officer team reads and approves your interview, then be invited, on trial for a week or two, before promoted to full member). And honestly we got a lot of people who we just could never find for their invite on the next day - who flaked out between reading the rules and the in-person interview... or who went inactive during their trial and never got full membership.

But we were a tight-knit group of people who wanted to be able to rely on each other to be around and help with stuff. Bloating our roster with people who weren't that active or who didn't have time to spare for the FC wouldn't have added any value. That's why our recruitment was angled in such a way.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Moonlit - 02-21-2017

I think it's just a matter of preference. Application methods work for some. They don't work for others. Prior to making an FC myself, I wouldn't join an FC without them having an application process. I don't think either are bad. Just have to find what suits you. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Part of me feels irritated when I see people posting invitations to join a FC then saying "go to our website to submit an application" or "contact an officer for an interview." I can't help but think, if you're the one seeking members, then why should they have to bow to you and what you want? However, I have seen how the wrong member can get in and fleece a FC for everything they've got, so I kind of understand why they have these processes.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Gegenji - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 02:08 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: Part of me feels irritated when I see people posting invitations to join a FC then saying "go to our website to submit an application" or "contact an officer for an interview." I can't help but think, if you're the one seeking members, then why should they have to bow to you and what you want? However, I have seen how the wrong member can get in and fleece a FC for everything they've got, so I kind of understand why they have these processes.

I suppose I don't see why that would be irritating. I think that sort of stuff is just to bring attention to their FC so that people know it's there to attempt to apply for it. It's advertising - and even businesses that are advertising open job slots will still require the potential new employee to come interview and show their skill sets if necessary.

I'd be personally more bothered by the FCs that invite anyone and everyone and use their bloated numbers as some sort of a status symbol. "We've got over 500 members!" Yay you. Laugh

(02-21-2017, 02:12 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-21-2017, 02:08 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: Part of me feels irritated when I see people posting invitations to join a FC then saying "go to our website to submit an application" or "contact an officer for an interview." I can't help but think, if you're the one seeking members, then why should they have to bow to you and what you want? However, I have seen how the wrong member can get in and fleece a FC for everything they've got, so I kind of understand why they have these processes.

I suppose I don't see why that would be irritating. I think that sort of stuff is just to bring attention to their FC so that people know it's there to attempt to apply for it. It's advertising - and even businesses that are advertising open job slots will still require the potential new employee to come interview and show their skill sets if necessary.

I'd be personally more bothered by the FCs that invite anyone and everyone and use their bloated numbers as some sort of a status symbol. "We've got over 500 members!" Yay you. Laugh

I can understand your perspective. I think the reason it bothers me is because I chafe under the idea of answering to others (outside of my RL job) and allowing another player to 'interview' me for the privilege of joining their FC feels like submitting myself. Perhaps I'm just far too IC at these moments. My characters tend to be fiercely independent.Tongue

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Miriamele - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 02:32 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:

I can understand your perspective. I think the reason it bothers me is because I chafe under the idea of answering to others (outside of my RL job) and allowing another player to 'interview' me for the privilege of joining their FC feels like submitting myself. Perhaps I'm just far too IC at these moments. My characters tend to be fiercely independent.Tongue

I mean, if it helps, when I made my free company I took ideas I loved from previous FC's I had been in and used them. My application has 8 questions, half that can be answered in a sentence, a checkbox and 3 RP related questions that actually require details just so we can get to know the character to see if it fits.

That's the entire 'theme' of the application process. Fitting in. I want my FC to be a close knit community where drama happens rarely and can be settled quickly and quietly. We're all here to play the game after all and if we're not having fun than why bother? When I first started to play I was in a FC or two that had drama and it made things unpleasant, so I prefer FC's that take some time to get to know a prospective member than not.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Gegenji - 02-21-2017

(02-21-2017, 02:32 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:

Oh I certainly get that.

... Though, I suppose my interaction with that sort of thing was more in the endgame raiding-level guilds back in WoW. Where you had to apply and have a reference and jump through all these hoops to get a chance to see the endgame content. Which made sense, to some degree, considering they wanted people that could perform and push content. I just hated the circular logic that arose (prior to the whole "practice" raid versions they introduced in... Pandaria?) of "to be able to join in on this fight you have to have done this fight."

... Basically, you'd never get a chance to try doing something because to be able to do it... you had to have done it already. Which is horribly flawed logic to me. No one can learn the fight if everyone requires you to have already done it. Just the number of learning runs that go on in FFXIV's endgame content makes me feel a lot better about it as compared to WoW.

But I digress, since applying for doing endgame content is a few shades removed from trying to join... say... an RP guild. Though, I suppose it isn't all that much different - since, after all, both are seeking some manner of goal (whether it be content, RP plot, or general atmosphere in the FC) and want to ensure that those they bring in will mesh well with that. It's just something more... intangible, I guess, compared to raid progress so it's easier to think requiring such things in an RP FC (or any other sort of non-endgame FC) as extraneous and possibly unnecessary. Even if it really isn't.

I suppose what chafes me nowadays is when the rule-structure is setup so that it doesn't feel like I'm playing a game anymore and it's more like a second job. "Have to login X times" and other such requirements. Which, thankfully, I have seen very little of outside raiding statics and the like.

... Man I'm rambly today.

RE: When joining a FC becomes a job - Damele - 02-21-2017

I know this is about WoW but its still funny!

[Image: 46974577.jpg]