Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hey there! :D - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hey there! :D (/showthread.php?tid=18715)

Hey there! :D - Siliconparody - 03-02-2017

Ive only been playing FFXIV for the past three months now but it's been a blast! I've been wanting to get into RP on Balmung for a while but I've never really been able to yet. Partly because I've been trying to catch up on the MSQ, partly because I just don't know where to start.

One thing I'm trying to figure out: my Xaela Au Ra, Ruka Buhen, has a Doman/Japanese sounding name. I had no idea Xaela were based off of Mongolians and that's way more awesome to me. But...I'd feel really weird if I changed my name to a more appropiate Xaela one since I'm so used to NPCs calling me Ruka.

Any advice to get around this? I figure I just have Ruka Buhen be an adopted name when she travelled to Doma, while her birth name was Temujin of the Haragin tribe, but I dunno honestly. I haven't really fleshed my characters backstory beyond "obsessed with Allagan technology, became a Machinist".

RE: Hey there! :D - Parvacake - 03-02-2017

Welcome!

Just say it's a nickname. Or an alias! That's what I would do. Smile

RE: Hey there! :D - Thunderbolt300 - 03-02-2017

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC! Thumbsup

I think it's less an issue what NPC's call you, and more an issue in what you want players to call you. Generally, people aren't going to remember you easily by a nickname / true name as much as they are by the name floating above your character's head. Players you RP with more in general will probably more readily adopt the nickname / true name, though. Just something to consider!

RE: Hey there! :D - Ririla Rila - 03-03-2017

welcome to the RPC! enjoy a world full of fun and adventure!

RE: Hey there! :D - Uther - 03-03-2017

Hey welcome to the RPC!

I had a naming issue similar to yours when I started. I had been playing less than a month when I decided Uther didn't work as a Hyur and needed to go Elezen. I decided "Skystrider" was an alias and his last name was actually the more French sounding "Leondegrance" in order to fit conventions better. As for the first name being much more Hyur than Elezen, I basically just stopped caring. Naming conventions are good guidelines to follow, but they're not hard-and-fast rules. My Lalafell is named Abodo Po. It doesn't perfectly fit convention, but it sounds like a Lalafell name. If you read it in LS chat or a whisper, you'd assume the player is playing a Lalafell character. With Uther, you'd probably assume Hyur, but he is technically in exile and he's forfeited his Elezen "Leondegrance" surname, so it still works.

Point being, there are plenty of creative ways to get around a mismatched name, including just saying "Whatever. Close enough." You're not going to get dinged by the RP community for a slight deviation from convention, otherwise every male Seeker without "Tia" or "Nunh" as a last name would be ostracized. And those names are boring. 

Well, now I'm just rambling. Enjoy your time with us. Hope to see you in game and around the forum!