Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] (/showthread.php?tid=18789)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Parth Makeo - 03-22-2017

As the red and blue Miqo'te mingled, she could see the few people giving a glance. In her normal nature, she would wave and be open to move forward. Tonight she felt like keeping a low profile if not to warrant curiosity. She took this chance to walk across the room, not giving glances back and acting like she never see them.

Internally she felt giddy, nervous and laughing along. Externally she kept a small smile and straight posture. She truly hoped no one would recognise her hair here. So far not one person she knew attended. Oddly enough, she was right where the drinks were as she finally spoke. A voice stern, strong but kind and gentle. "Get me one of these for me, please?" she slid a piece of paper for a drink of her choice.

She waited for everything to be mix, the rim of the wide top but narrow end and base glass was lined with salt. Pouring in, the fluid was a clear blue mix like ice. Then he layered it with a quick chill to the top, making it look like a frozen lake...and topping with a cherry. "Thank you so much!" The odd Miqo'te left a tip for the work as she took her sip and looked back around. She just needed time to prepare if she had to engage.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - PrinceKlari - 03-22-2017

Prince Klari carefully read the invitation to this "Duke's" Ball. He loved the pageantry of them, but often hated the people. Wealthy children of merchants who never worked a day in their lives. Syndicate members and their cohorts guzzling down expertly crafted spirits, eating finger foods that the urchins of Pearl Lane would kill each other over, he hated those people. And yet strangely, he was now one of them. A few would recognize him from the fighting pits, even more from his dealings as head of the Bloodsands Consortium, so he hoped it would be a small affair. He scanned the invite again.

"Thal's Balls...The Shining Diamond?" he muttered to himself as he clasped his expertly tailored Gambler's longcoat. "I suppose anonymity might be impossible."

As he walked out of his Emerald Avenue penthouse and marched with little hurry to the Ballroom. He entered and before he could be greeted immediately walked to the top floor to get a lay of the event. As he gazed across the massive event he spied a sandy blond, well-dressed Hyur. 

"There's our "Duke"." he chuckled to himself. 

He looked down an to his right at a lone Hyur women. Her blue dress popping out among the dark, polished mahogany floor, its neckline plunging deeper than Witchdrop. 

"Well, this evening may have gotten interesting." he said quietly.

Klari walked down to the main floor and quickly eyed the wine selection at the bar. He was not impressed. He finally approached the lone woman and bowed. 

"A woman that knows her wine...not many Ul'dahns fancy a glass of Malbec." He said. "Prince Klari of Bloodsands Consortium. May I have a seat?" He asked with a friendly smile.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - BasedRNG - 03-22-2017

Her tail flicking back and forth, Muijh turned her body to watch A'ih as she moved along the hall. She leaned in a little closer to the Duke and drank the last few drops from her glass. Muijh then smiled in a most devilish manner as she began to speak. 

"What say you to a bit of a wager, Duke of the Isles? Should you be unable to correctly read your servant's words, you must swear to treat me to a nice restaurant anywhere in Eorzea that I so choose."

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Amnesic - 03-22-2017

The Duke looked at Muijh in surprise. “Oh, so now the stakes have been raised? I shall accept this proposition as well. I shall have to think upon my part of the bet first, but do tell me first, does it only have to be a ‘nice’ restaurant?” he asked with a clever light in his eyes. He could actually do somewhere outside of Eorzea and barely dent his finances, but it would be best to not let her know that. He had a feeling he was likely to lose this bet, but it did not matter to him if he won or lost as the fun for him was in just waiting to see how chance played out for him…

~*~

A’ih quickly made her way through the crowds and retrieved the water from the storeroom again as she had done only a little while ago. It actually was not any different than the water available from the external drink selections other than the fact it was simply in a different room, but the Duke had made it a specific command to her that all of the drinks she fetched must come from the stockroom instead of the external bars. As she silently closed the door to the side room, she heard a voice speak to her.

“M’am, er Miss…” It was just one of the servants that had been hired for the event, specifically a female Raen one. She had power to command all of them, but so far they had been well-trained enough to handle their own to the point she barely had to bother with them.

“What is it?” she said gently and blankly, though gesturing to her with her free hand to follow quickly. She did not want to tarry any in fulfilling the Duke’s command.

“If it isn’t out of line, I wanted to know how it’s like working as a personal servant.”

This question stopped her tracks briefly, but she started up at her fast pace again as she gave her brief response and never let the plate in her hand wobble once.

“You get used to it.” It was not really an answer, but it was what she could answer from experience.

She continued on her way, without the servant following behind until she reached Duke Rhett again. He had just finished a statement as she arrived at his side and brought the plate back down to her waist in her habitual manner. He did not look at her, but retrieved his wineglass, took a sip from it, and promptly began a new command.

“A’ih.” He was using more verbal commands? This was an unusual day for her, but then again, the Duke rarely ever held any events like this.

“Yes, Duke?”

“Can you see that guest with the avian mask and the azure accents? Bring her to me as well,” he ordered in a calm voice.

“Your wish is my command,” she replied, though she was experiencing some unfamiliar feelings at the idea of another Miqo’te being invited over to talk with him. Perhaps it was just general concern for his public appearance?

A’ih began her stride yet again, leaving the Duke with his glass as he proceeded to take another sip from it. She kept a mostly straight path towards this peculiar Miqo’te, only having to weave her path whenever someone was passing by. By the time she reached the guest, she already had turned around from the bar with the icy beverage and was looking almost in her direction. She kept her familiar and brisk pace all the way up until a few steps before the other woman where she lowered her momentum for more graceful stop.

“The Duke requests your presence. Please, if you would, do follow me,” she instructed the masked guest in her quiet manner.

*~*~*

The young Hyur girl almost wanted to roll her eyes into the back of her head as another man, an Elezen this time, approached her table with…more ridiculous looking facial hair. Her hearing almost blanked out from disbelief, but she was able to catch the most of his greeting. The smile combined with that initial comment did not sit well with her. She was not from the high society, the dress was the only thing that gave the impression she was, and so far she was finding them to be more presumptuous than whom she generally worked with. Maybe he would set his sleeve on fire too. It was a long shot, but maybe.

“A prince? What would you have to do with just a simple girl and a glass of wine?” she asked with a precisely placed undertone of sarcasm. Rich people were testing her patience tonight and she was hard pressed to resist the saucy responses coming to her brain.

The girl would lament having worn this risqué dress as it seemed to be pulling so many of these similar encounters now, but she would have been lamenting about the restriction of other dresses had she done otherwise. There was developed a preference in her for the…freedom, though she still did have to deal with the knowledge that certain people would be looking at her for a little longer than they should.

It also did not help it was low in the back too. She realized that mistake a little too late as well.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - BasedRNG - 03-22-2017

Muijh thought for a moment and to her, it seemed as though hundreds of questions passed through her mind. Was she even serious about making him treat her to dinner? Who even was he? Where was this sudden confidence coming from? Though only a minute had elapsed, in Muijh's mind, she had been there for hours, staring into nothing.

Oh great, now I look like some sort of loon. Say something, dammit!! thought Muijh. She forced herself back to reality and tried to say the first thing that came to mind. Her next words were nearly blurted out of her.

"Just as long as it's somewhere romantic!" 

Muijh let out a scream within her own brain. Though there was no alcohol in her drink, Muijh was convinced that she had simply drank too much and was now suffering the consequences. It wasn't much of an explanation, but it was something. She took a deep breath and continued.

"So, then, should fate be on your side, what shall I be giving up?"

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Parth Makeo - 03-23-2017

The odd Miqo'te of red and blue suddenly felt distracted by another. "Hm? Well sure. I wouldn't mind." Her voice sweet and polite as she followed A'ih to the Duke as they called him. The blue in her hair upon a closer look was vibrant against her darkened red head of hair. her bosom a little more prominent in the chest, yet not showing too much skin and only enough for a cavity. The quality of her mask was on a fair side, though probably put together at the last minute and yet there was a detail that was seemingly hard to miss at first. An emblem of a coat of arms with a necklace of three shaped gems and a cactuar could be seen on the brooch. As if a family symbol or emblem. 

She approached, taking a light sip of her drink as she looked up at the supposed Duke. Eyeing his features and mentally getting bad vibes...but she played along for now. "I assume you are the Duke then?" she raised a brow to him. She didn't mind much of a person's look as she tried to keep herself hidden from anyone that might of known who she was. Not a fear of popularity but a fear of some heckler spreading some minor detail and making a big deal out of it-which it technically was.

"The party is very nice and open, I do say." a compliment. something simple to start off.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Amnesic - 03-23-2017

“...I shall let you know, should the dice of life be on my side. But, a romantic dinner...?” the Duke trailed off in his tranquil voice, now that he was focused entirely upon A'ih. By this time she had begun walking back with the mysterious guest following her tracks. As the two Miqo'te continued to approach him without saying a word, he was quite sure of himself losing the game. He looked back to Miss Mewrilah and made a light shrugging gesture with his free hand. He could easily read the amount of anxiety in her face caused by the response she had made, and he began to think it might be more enjoyable to actually take her up on the offer anyhow. He would spare her the romance though; he knew it was only an effect likely due to the giddiness or the possible placebo effect of the “wine”.

A'ih gave her curtsy to the red and blue haired woman she had brought over with her habitual emotionless manner and proceeded to stand beside the Duke in her straight pose and the platter at her waist. He turned his head back to the second guest and gave his charming smile to her as she trod her way across the mahogany floor up to him.

“Indeed, I am he who is called the Duke of the Isles. It is a pleasure to know that my ball is to your liking.”

~*~

A’ih was inconspicuously looking at the woman’s mask from the corner of her eyes, attempting to determine the origin of the heraldry upon it, but eventually she stopped as she had no idea where it was from. She had never seen it before, but it was possible that the Duke might have some understanding of it and she looked to his face. It was at that exact his eyes briefly flashed with the cleverness that always showed when he had figured out a quick move.

“I do ask you to excuse me, fine guest, this may seem a bit peculiar, but do side with me on this…A’ih.”

“Yes, Duke?”

“If you would, ask this fine guest her name and repeat it to me.”

“Your wish is my command,” she managed to say, holding back the questioning in her voice. She had been absent for the wager, and her mind was now occupied with trying to comprehend the reason why this was even necessary. “Miss, if it would not bother you, the Duke requests your name.”

She did not see it, but there was a playful smirk on the Duke’s face as he looked at Muijh.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - BasedRNG - 03-23-2017

"I, er, well... Y'see the thing is uh..." Muijh began uncharacteristically fumbling over her words. She could not contemplate why, after all it was likely this would be her last encounter with the Duke. She stopped trying to speak after another round of 'ums' and 'ers' and instead looked to the pair of Seekers heading to her and her host. She, too, noticed that they said nary a word and gave a slight grin to the Duke. 

That grin changed to a look of mild shock as the suggestion to state the new woman's name crossed Muijh's ears. She cursed him for being so clever, and the Twelve above for letting it happen. She knew it was all in good fun, but she still wasn't keen on the idea of losing.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Parth Makeo - 03-24-2017

As she approached, the Miqo'te wasn't too keen on being too upfront. "I'm just glad i can attend to something like this. It's hard when you work as a Paladin." she mentioned before hearing the whisper of the supposed helper. She replied back quietly "Makeo." only giving her last name. She didn't feel too comfortable with her main name. Then again saying the Makeo name now was obscure and for a select few who remember her mother or family line of Goldsmiths.

"It's just fun attending events like this once in a while. My mother use to go to open balls all the time." she carefully laid out her idea of the afternoon as she looked at the duke. Even going as far as to tilt her body in an angle to show off the slight curves and figure she had obtained in her life. Flaunting her body in a mild sense. "But surely an event like this must cost a lot?"

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Amnesic - 03-24-2017

The Duke looked to his servant as she repeated the name for attention to detail, though it being needless as he had already heard the name himself. “Well, Miss Makeo, I thank chance that you were able to attend my little event and I would hope the night turns out enjoyable for you. After all, I spent a quite fortune on it,” he replied with a charming grin. It had, but this was nothing in comparison to what money he had available. Briefly he turned his head back to Muijh as he took another sip.

“Well, Miss Mewrilah, shall we count that as fair play? Or, better yet,” he interrupted himself, “Miss Makeo. The rules of a friendly wager we were having were that I could read your name by watching my servant here pronounce it. Do you think the manner in which I did it just now is considered fair by your judgement?” He did not want to tease Muijh too much, but she seemed to be able to recover quickly enough from shock for a little more.

He had to admit, it was a probably a bad habit to enjoy making people nervous, but it was one of the few fun things about the aristocracy life.

~*~

A’ih had been keeping to herself during this discourse as she was obligated to, and efficiently took the time to try and figure out that name and crest. She was sure that she recognized part of it from somewhere, and even closed her eyes as she peacefully searched her mind for wherever it was she thought she had either heard that name or glanced at a similar crest. She continued to rack her brain for the answer, but to her discomfort, she could find nothing.

Was her mind only playing tricks on her? She almost felt frustrated her memory would fail her like this; it was generally quite extensive and reliable.

She opened her eyes as she had tried to push the thought from her mind and to the crowd. By chance, she had happened to glance over at Miss Makeo as she flourished herself in what A’ih believed to be a considerable manner. The strange emotion was back and it revived her previous emotions of discomfort and frustration, confusing her even more.

What was it?

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Parth Makeo - 03-24-2017

As the Miqo'te listened to the bet, she merely chuckled. "Oh is that all? I'm sorry, but you only know my LAST name." a sip from her glass as she inspected the other before her. "I don't just give out my name to anyone after all." taking in the Duke and his friend. "But if you want a real fun gamble, I have one." her lips turned into a sly smirk and her eye raised. Wanting to know if this man had any intent to continue with a small chase or not. "What is it that she gambled on? I might be able to 'raise' it instead."

Arala was always loving a good chance to enjoy herself. Especially like this. her ears wiggled a bit and her tail swayed. She could feel at ease at least with this atmosphere.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Amnesic - 03-24-2017

The Duke held up a single finger in protest and gave a flashing grin. “I am afraid, Miss Makeo, that the bet was I had to recreate the exact same trick upon you that I played upon Miss Mewrilah. I only ever answered her surname for I do not know its predecessor, so your point may be considered nullified by technicality...But, a new bet is assuredly welcome and even more enticing to me if Miss Mewrilah is fine with you stealing her…date,” he said slyly, putting heavy emphasis on the last word. He stole a glance at Muijh, still giving a clever, but charming grin.

“I am curious though, how will you attempt to ‘raise’ a romantic dinner at an expensive restaurant of your choice? Shall I take both of you?” he commented jestingly, taking another sip from his wineglass.

He did not want to embarrass her too badly, but she seemed to be tough enough to handle some teasing. He did not mind losing, but winning was becoming his better option now as romantic encounters were not in his best interests.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Parth Makeo - 03-25-2017

she smiled a bit more at the mention of a date and dinner. Yet she saw that as merely too simple. "Oh my, no..." The Miqo'te then placed her glass down and insisted on something else.

"You know my last name...but maybe if you can find someone in this room who knows my mother...I'll do you one better. Dinner? No. We can head down to Costa Del Sol, enjoy three days there and if you play your cards right, things might get...better. Just have to get information on my mother and her profession. But to make it harder...You only get three guesses! And each wrong guess removes a day off we spend." her own little bet was simply to test and tease. Unlike his other companion, Arala was more forward and outward than she could be. 

she hadn't mentioned her daughter or that she had no husband, and a lack of a ring clearly shows nothing about it. "So what do you say...Duke? Up to the job? Your assistant got my last name for you."

Among the crowd, someone does know her mother...and that person was out there somewhere. Unaware of the bet. All the Miqo'te did for now was wait for a response. She eyed the duke carefully, sizing him and Mewrilah up. "I hope i'm not ruining your time here, dear." she asked Mewrilah.

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - BasedRNG - 03-25-2017

Muijh had been watching the exchange too flustered in her own thoughts to speak up, now that it looked as though her response told in panic might come to fruition. She had crossed her arms over her chest and turned her head away from the Duke at his teasing. 

"Two things, oh Duke." she replied, turning back to the group. "First and foremost, of course I don't mind one bit if you were to take her on this date, as I was hardly serious in the first place. Second, I should hope you don't regularly have two or more women to take to romantic dinners."

She was clearly embarassed and was trying her hardest to go back on what she said, not that her attempts themselves were anything short of transparent. But then, it seemed, that a miracle had occurred in the form of Makeo offering to 'steal' the date to which she had convinced the Duke to agree. Her reddening face quickly lost its new pigment and a look of joy befell her, ears and tail perking up almost instantly. 

"By the Twelve, of course you aren't ruining my evening here! If anything, you're a complete life saver!" It took everything in Muijh's power to stop herself from jumping to hug her savior as tight as she could. After all, it would bave ruined both their dresses, and then no one would be happy. 

RE: The Duke's Grand Mystery Ball! [Open] - Amnesic - 03-26-2017

“The difficulty of your challenge is very tempting, but I want to know first what you would expect from me if I lose. Forming a hypothesis from both of your demeanors, I feel that neither of you have made thine choices out of personal affection for me nor, Miss Makeo, can I hardly expect you would want the same from me if I am unsuccessful,” the Duke replied in a factual manner. Slowly, he finished off the last of the water in his wineglass and set in back on A’ih’s tray and made two hand motions to her.

It translated roughly to: “Find Darius Fallstone, bring him to me.” Yes, tediously enough, the Duke had actually made a sign for his name out of necessity. A’ih immediately recognized it and took off at her swift pace, an almost grateful look showing in her eyes while her face remained expressionless.

Uncrossing his legs, he gracefully ascended from the throne he had been resting in, showing his actual height to be about half a head taller than an average Hyur Midlander. Giving a jesting smirk, he looked to Muijh. “I should hardly think she has saved your life here, Miss Mewrilah; what I had planned for you was much less painful than a romantic dinner.”

Though, to Muijh’s disadvantage, there were very few things in this world that would be less excruciating than a romantic date with someone you had no chance of having feelings for. Even he would only have fun with it because he could make her nervous.

~*~*~

The Hyur girl interrupted briefly, excusing herself from the table with something along the lines of “Dear Prince, there’s someone I need to check on; I’ll be right back,” likely with a shred of sarcasm in it that she could not resist. It made the aching she was suffering from start up again where the long period of relaxing in the seat had muted it to mild discomfort, but she was not exactly in the best of moods. Today had simply been a rough day at work and she had been looking to relax and she was very quick right now to take compliments as flirting. She had heard the name Bloodsands Consortium a few times before, and it was not something she had interest in anyhow.

Was it a bit rude to up and leave him like that? Sure it was. She would just have to figure out a way to explain herself later if she got tracked down. Luckily, she had left with her glass, so she did not have to worry about getting any more of…Malbec, he called it? Eh, to her it was simply a drink that the Duke had recommended to her very early in the ball for the low alcohol level. She did not want to get herself drunk or anything tonight, she knew she would be hurting enough in the morning as well and the hangover would not do very much for her.

Every step hurt, so she walked very slowly across the ballroom to a bar where she was hopefully out of sight of the Elezen who had introduced himself as Prince Klari. Then a familiar voice she had not wanted to hear either assaulted her ear.

“Ah, madame, I do hope your radiant eyes do not ignite my clothing again,” said the familiar voice of Darius Fallstone. She struggled to withhold her groan of despair, managing to muffle it into a sigh.

“What do you want this time?” she asked exhaustedly, too far in disbelief to make any sarcastic responses.

She did have to figure, as vain as it was, she must clean up very nicely if these people honestly thought she was high class.

~*~

The aged Elezen man had finally finished with his book around this time and began inspecting the bindings on it. He had actually had not been reading it, but instead had been allowing the glue in the bindings to set right and prevent the pages from not opening fully. It was not exactly his plan to have taken his work with him, but he had entirely missed out on the news of the ball until only a few hours before it was to begin. He had come here in hopes of finding some more scholarly types like him and perhaps to get an idea of who this Duke was in person. So far he had done neither of those and he really felt like some wine first. He would have to figure a nice place to put the book at though, it was actually quite rare.