Hydaelyn Role-Players
Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] (/showthread.php?tid=18811)

Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Akarios - 03-10-2017

Hey guys! Hope all is well.

I've recently have been looking into getting my character to have a permanent injury (It will help with his development along the road).  To be honest i was thinking about having a limp detached (battlewise). But, i can't seem to figure out a way to do it.

I've been looking at the forums posts, and apparently, those who did that, ended up trying to get a magitek limb. But that IS NOT a ideia that i like. I know how rare that kind thing is supose to be, and i don't really know that much about the lore to be able to correctly role play with that. 

I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips? I thought about just making he lose it, and leave it as that. But i would have to describe it everytime as he not possessing an arm or an leg. And i think most people wouldn't like that!

Thank you for the aid! Stay awesome!

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Kilieit - 03-10-2017

I tend to put major model divergences in my character's search comment. Like Aghurlal is significantly shorter than his in-game model, so his search comment has his RP height in it. If one of my characters was missing a limb (or an eye, or a horn), that'd go in there - so anyone inspecting my character could potentially mention it, not just people who caught one of my previous emotes.

I don't think you have to go the magitek limb route for an amputated limb. It's something I think a lot of people jump to when they want their character to still be capable of combat in short bursts - they think they need something that functions just like a real limb, so they go to the setting's highest level of technology to get it.

But low-tech prosthetics - made of wood, most likely, given the setting - would exist that would allow, say, your character to have both arms at first glance (so it makes sense for your character's missing arm to not be the first thing anyone mentions), or to basically walk (albiet with an unusual gait). And if the amputation was below the joint, and the thing was reliable enough - sturdy and well-fitted - the character could probably still fight on it, although their style would almost certainly have to change.

I've never roleplayed an amputee character, but my friend who did said there are quite a lot of youtube videos from real-life amputees with first-hand stories about what it's like - to do certain tasks, to get a prosthetic fitted and adjusted... Those are a really good resource, since they allow you to learn more about what you'll be trying to portray with your character. (And let's face it, most IRL amputees have pretty low-tech prosthetics too, at least compared to the average RP magitek limb.)

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Teadrinker - 03-10-2017

(03-10-2017, 09:44 PM)Kilieit Wrote: I tend to put major model divergences in my character's search comment.

This is a good idea.

Additionally, if you just want the limb loss, I don't think it's outside the realm of plausibility to just have the character's body reject the fake limb or he has a psychological issue with having one attached. Some other food for thought.

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Zelmanov - 03-10-2017

Things that exist since time immemorial:

Hooks. Hook on a stub does a lot, especially given the pseudo time period (and that limsa exists)you can easily have hooks, also, look at this 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosthesis

here you have several historic artifacts of many ways to have a missing limb replaced.

even in game of thrones there is the one dude with a prosthetic hand that had an open and closed setting so he can still hold his sword.

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Nero - 03-13-2017

I don't think you'd have to describe it every time unless you're meeting someone new who doesn't know the character. I think it's completely fine to have a permanently removed limb; really, in RP sessions or on forum posts, you'd only have to describe it in one sentence or statement and I think most people would get it, so I wouldn't worry about describing it every time.

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Aya - 03-13-2017

Of course its fine! Can't have Treasure Island without Long John Silver!

When it comes to this sort of thing and describing it, you just have to play it by ear and kind of learn when and how often it needs to be mentioned.  Aya has a few characteristics (nowhere near as dramatic) that I try to describe to new people, but especially when RPing in public places you really don't want to mention it frequently. 

Having it in the character description, mentioning it no new people or when appropriate when engaged in public RP, and gently correcting the situation when absolutely necessary should allow you to incorporate it without too much trouble.  If someone tries to shake his hand, I would play it straight: they simply had not noticed his arm was missing.  If they try to grab him by the arm... well... that may call for a whisper to clarify the situation Smile

In terms of why he doesn't have a replacement, those can be myriad. From cannot afford it, to not being a good candidate (maybe there is extensive nerve damage beyond the missing structure), to simply not wanting it for psychological reasons.

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Gegenji - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 03:11 PM)Aya Wrote: When it comes to this sort of thing and describing it, you just have to play it by ear and kind of learn when and how often it needs to be mentioned.  Aya has a few characteristics (nowhere near as dramatic) that I try to describe to new people, but especially when RPing in public places you really don't want to mention it frequently. 

As an addendum, adding it to your character info block might help too. One of my characters uses a cane quite regularly to walk around. I emote when he's using it now and then, but I also have it there so people who glance at it will know. It's something I've seen used pretty frequently to describe things about the character that might be off-model (taller than normal, different kind of eyes, etc).

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Aya - 03-13-2017

(03-13-2017, 03:19 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 03:11 PM)Aya Wrote: When it comes to this sort of thing and describing it, you just have to play it by ear and kind of learn when and how often it needs to be mentioned.  Aya has a few characteristics (nowhere near as dramatic) that I try to describe to new people, but especially when RPing in public places you really don't want to mention it frequently. 

As an addendum, adding it to your character info block might help too. One of my characters uses a cane quite regularly to walk around. I emote when he's using it now and then, but I also have it there so people who glance at it will know. It's something I've seen used pretty frequently to describe things about the character that might be off-model (taller than normal, different kind of eyes, etc).
If I didn't include that, I had meant to.  These things about Aya (height, accent, and that she's almost always wearing heels of some sort, are all in her search comment Smile )

RE: Permanent Injury [Loss of limb] - Akarios - 03-14-2017

Thank you guys so much for the replies!!
I'll try to incorporate it on my RP! Everything here suggested will be a very good way for me to start developing that kind of rp. 

Once again, I thank you all!