Hydaelyn Role-Players
Exorcism in Eorzea? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Exorcism in Eorzea? (/showthread.php?tid=18829)

Exorcism in Eorzea? - Tarno - 03-13-2017

Has this been mentioned? If so, can I get more information on it along with it's origins.

RE: Exorcism in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 03-14-2017

The answer is kind of grey. "Exorcisms" exist in seemingly much the same way they do in the real world. They expel demons or voidsent possession that may or may not be present with mixed effectiveness. References to exorcisms is incredibly limited though, the most information coming from the Moogle Delivery quest, Spirits Most Foul:

Braya Wrote:Thank the gods! I feared it would not arrive in time. This is a comprehensive summary of voidsent sightings collected from across the realm, along with the latest theories on how to deal with potential cases of possession. A young man recently approached me, you see, fearing that he had fallen under the influence of baleful forces not of this world. As the poor soul told me, he oft awakens in the dark of night - in parts unknown, with bruises all over his body and no memory of how he arrived there. The mere thought sends shivers up the spine, does it not? It goes without saying the man was quite distraught. I promised that I would gather what knowledge I could, and see what I might do to free him of his demons. Thanks to your timely delivery, I am at last armed with the information I need.
Spenser of the Bottomless Cup Wrote:Ah, yes, the Conjurers' Guild! Do tell Braya that I shall, ah, endeavor to exorcise my own demons. Should the dark forces prove too formidable, I shall call upon her again.
Braya Wrote:I must confess, I am somewhat relieved to discover that the spirits that plagued the man were of a more worldly sort. Sadly, I fear that subduing drunkards is outside my field of research.

References can also be found in the 1.0 throwing weapon, Exorcism Beans, as well as in the titles of a couple levequests, A Little Constructive Exorcism and An Old Fashioned Exorcism.

Exorcism Bean Wrote:This "throwing weapon" is used to exorcise demons during the Banishing held once a year.
A Little Constructive Exorcism Wrote:New defensive positions are planned to counter the Garlean impingement on the Twelveswood. The Blue Badgers, the engineers of the Order of the Twin Adder, march for the site to begin erecting the fortifications. Precede them there and slay the demons who would surely prove a nuisance to the brave Badgers' noble endeavor.
An Old Fashioned Exorcism Wrote:Increased sightings of spriggans near an area of forest in Bentbranch anointed by the Wood Wailers for clearing has Gridanian treecutters on edge, believing the beasts a warning from the forest. The brothers and the sisters have ensured the cutters that they have spoken with the Twelveswood and have its blessing, but the stubborn men and women refuse to work as long as the soulkin remain. The Wood Wailers will generously reward any who can assist in removing the spriggans from the area.

I wasn't able to find any other reference to this annual "Banishing" but I think the most telling bit of info is the reference to "an old fashioned exorcism" - wherein you just kill the demon. This seems to be Eorzea's solution to most supernatural or possession-induced problems, from tempered wretches to voidsent. Though the Thaumaturge questline does go into that a bit, expelling a demon by offering it a more desirable host.

RE: Exorcism in Eorzea? - Tarno - 03-14-2017

(03-14-2017, 10:01 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: The answer is kind of grey. "Exorcisms" exist in seemingly much the same way they do in the real world. They expel demons or voidsent possession that may or may not be present with mixed effectiveness. References to exorcisms is incredibly limited though, the most information coming from the Moogle Delivery quest, Spirits Most Foul:

Braya Wrote:Thank the gods! I feared it would not arrive in time. This is a comprehensive summary of voidsent sightings collected from across the realm, along with the latest theories on how to deal with potential cases of possession. A young man recently approached me, you see, fearing that he had fallen under the influence of baleful forces not of this world. As the poor soul told me, he oft awakens in the dark of night - in parts unknown, with bruises all over his body and no memory of how he arrived there. The mere thought sends shivers up the spine, does it not? It goes without saying the man was quite distraught. I promised that I would gather what knowledge I could, and see what I might do to free him of his demons. Thanks to your timely delivery, I am at last armed with the information I need.
Spenser of the Bottomless Cup Wrote:Ah, yes, the Conjurers' Guild! Do tell Braya that I shall, ah, endeavor to exorcise my own demons. Should the dark forces prove too formidable, I shall call upon her again.
Braya Wrote:I must confess, I am somewhat relieved to discover that the spirits that plagued the man were of a more worldly sort. Sadly, I fear that subduing drunkards is outside my field of research.

References can also be found in the 1.0 throwing weapon, Exorcism Beans, as well as in the titles of a couple levequests, A Little Constructive Exorcism and An Old Fashioned Exorcism.

Exorcism Bean Wrote:This "throwing weapon" is used to exorcise demons during the Banishing held once a year.
A Little Constructive Exorcism Wrote:New defensive positions are planned to counter the Garlean impingement on the Twelveswood. The Blue Badgers, the engineers of the Order of the Twin Adder, march for the site to begin erecting the fortifications. Precede them there and slay the demons who would surely prove a nuisance to the brave Badgers' noble endeavor.
An Old Fashioned Exorcism Wrote:Increased sightings of spriggans near an area of forest in Bentbranch anointed by the Wood Wailers for clearing has Gridanian treecutters on edge, believing the beasts a warning from the forest. The brothers and the sisters have ensured the cutters that they have spoken with the Twelveswood and have its blessing, but the stubborn men and women refuse to work as long as the soulkin remain. The Wood Wailers will generously reward any who can assist in removing the spriggans from the area.

I wasn't able to find any other reference to this annual "Banishing" but I think the most telling bit of info is the reference to "an old fashioned exorcism" - wherein you just kill the demon. This seems to be Eorzea's solution to most supernatural or possession-induced problems, from tempered wretches to voidsent. Though the Thaumaturge questline does go into that a bit, expelling a demon by offering it a more desirable host.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! It seems it's just old fashion and done the same way as well know it. Interesting to know white mages can perform the ritual, it always seemed like it was a black Mage thing.

RE: Exorcism in Eorzea? - Zelmanov - 03-16-2017

Mini fact, There is vault weaponry and gear called "Halonic Exorcist" gear so yeah, in line with Sounssy's stuff, seems exorcism is best done via stabbing the offending spirit