Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to FFXIV RP, but not to RP or FFXIV - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to FFXIV RP, but not to RP or FFXIV (/showthread.php?tid=18866)

New to FFXIV RP, but not to RP or FFXIV - Van Zao - 03-16-2017

Hello! 

I have decided to give RPing on FFXIV a chance after reading into the rules and forums a bit, as well as checking some character's wikis. 

I have roughly 2200 hours on FFXIV (semi-core raiding) and have been roleplaying in different communities for roughly 5 years.

One could think this is nothing new to me, but actually I have many questions about RPing on FFXIV, if you guys don't mind. 

1) What's completely new to me, is having the option of real time movement/emotes/reactions via FFXIV instead of being completely text and turn based. How exactly would a typical RP on FFXIV look like, if anyone can describe it? What role do emotes and chat, as well as movements and spells ect have in a FFXIV RP?

2) How is character development handled on here? 
Am I allowed to have a certain development idea/direction my character should progress (of course while being receptive to possible changes through RP events and interactions ect) or is that considered too planned and a more "whatever happens, happens" is better received? 

For example, I want my character to start out "fresh" and not knowing much about the world and magic ect and most things outside of Ul'dah, but I plan to make him a bitter Astrologian at one point. 

2.5) Regarding the wikis, should I best make a Wiki for my character and then change it with each step of progress my character makes, to create a more life-like image or how do I use the wiki best? 

I am sorry if any of these questions seem to be very redundant or obvious to answer, but please keep in mind I am completely new to using this amount of resources to portrait my character, also having it "available" to everyone at the same time instead of having disclosed RPs between two people.

Sincerely, 

Lin

RE: New to FFXIV RP, but not to RP or FFXIV - Thunderbolt300 - 03-16-2017

Hey there, and welcome aboard the RPC! Thumbsup

Going down the list...

1. With real time movement comes real time interactions. However, most people will generally give some leeway for others to have time to respond, but exchanges can be pretty rapid in some cases. If you're a slow typer, you'll learn to type fast in short order! You can mix and match /say, /emote, and actual emote animations in any way you'd like to, really; there's no real set standard. RP in this environment is very much an always-on deal- it's a persistent world, so character stories continue to develop even when you're offline. 
  2. You can choose between the two, really. There's no real standard; some people prefer railroaded character development, whereas others prefer to live totally IC and let whatever happen, happen. It may vary between the groups you roll with, too. 
  3. Personally I evolve Kasi's wiki over time as she develops and just continually update it as her story moves forward. Still, there are people who throw a pretty general wiki up and leave it at that- there's no set standard here either!
MMO RP is a competely different level of immersion compared to forum RP. With MMO RP you enter into what is essentially a living, breathing world, where you are one writer among thousands, helping to pen what is essentially a community-wide story. There are protagonists, antagonists, and just innocent bystanders all. You are venturing into a world all its own, pretty much! So, to prevent feeling overwhelmed, it helps to have a general idea of where your character wants to go- a specific niche, if you will. For instance, would they join a clan? How about a merchant company? Are they interested in knowledge seekers, or treasure hunters? Or maybe they err into the dark side, and would run with the mob?

Choose your niche, and write your own destiny!

RE: New to FFXIV RP, but not to RP or FFXIV - Van Zao - 03-16-2017

Thanks for your response! 

About the niche thingy, I do have a general idea (I am still working on my new character, as i can only swap to balmung on my alt in 3 days) ect but I still need to do a lot of finetuning. I will put up my wiki soon, I think. 

How do I best get started/join a group or whatever. 

For now I would like some "basic" thaumaturges in Ul'dah to interact with as this is the point I want my character to start. Do you have any suggestions whom I should contact?

RE: New to FFXIV RP, but not to RP or FFXIV - Amnesic - 03-16-2017

(03-16-2017, 06:48 PM)Van Zao Wrote: Thanks for your response!

About the niche thingy, I do have a general idea (I am still working on my new character, as i can only swap to balmung on my alt in 3 days) ect but I still need to do a lot of finetuning. I will put up my wiki soon, I think.

How do I best get started/join a group or whatever.

For now I would like some "basic" thaumaturges in Ul'dah to interact with as this is the point I want my character to start. Do you have any suggestions whom I should contact?

I would go and make a post in the Making Connections subforum if you are looking for contacts, it should be pretty easy to find some other Thaumaturges that way. It can help you out with finding a group or, you can also head to the FC and Linkshell hall to find some of those.

Oh, and welcome to the RPC and the RP side of life!