Hydaelyn Role-Players
First character write-up: Any tips? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: First character write-up: Any tips? (/showthread.php?tid=19081)

First character write-up: Any tips? - Roh - 04-10-2017

After a lot of feverish googling, I managed to whip up a rudimentary outline for my budding Miqo'te character. Critiques, words of warning, fire, brimstone, or scorn are all welcome.
... Critique preferred though. Fire hurts.

[Image: qxZ9GNe.jpg]

Iku Roh
( ï kû  -ɾ ó )*

The Basics

Quote:Miqo’Te | Keeper of the Moon
27 years old
Female
Orientation: All of the things
Marital status: Married to the job
Residence: (TBD)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Height: 5'3"
Eyes: Golden brown (Think perfectly-toasted marshmallow. … mmmm.)
Body type: Pear shaped. (Small chest, a little extra hip-y, and slightly narrow shoulders)
Skintone: Fair with warm undertones. Tans easily if she spends less time fussing in her lab.
Hair: Black w/ white streaks stemming from the forelocks, shoulder length, often kept in a braid or bun.

Iku Roh makes a living selling the standard fare of medicinal, utilitarian, and aesthetic alchemical commodities. In her spare time, she occupies herself with personal side-projects that tend to be outside the usual interest of the Alchemists Guild: Perfumes, potions and elixirs with often rather impractical uses, but nonetheless something entertaining to pursue. Her curiosity does not, however, trump her instinct on self-preservation. She rarely tests her questionable creations on herself, and instead opts to hire test subjects. They are well informed of the risks. (To the best of her knowledge, at least.)

Iku prefers to be called by her surname in unfamiliar company (or in those she has authority over) and will respond very positively to being called Madam Roh, Mistress Roh, or simply Madam/Mistress/milady, etc.

She won’t whine about her short stature, but often wears boots or high heels to compensate. …and she’ll surreptitiously move to stand somewhere with the higher ground if she’s around those taller than her. (She’s not a fan of being literally looked down to.) The lily white locks she sports aren’t a fashion statement, but resulted from a somewhat explosive mishap in the lab. That, along with other similar incidents , has left her with an array of curious, useless, physiological quirks.

Generally, she is introverted, but not shy. She doesn’t shrink from confrontation and socialization, but won’t often seek out raucous parties and the like. Very dominant-leaning: she is a woman who knows what she wants and doesn’t tarry with walking on eggshells or kowtowing to others demands. She is protective and doting to those who are close to her - but will not often act altruistically for a stranger.

… To be continued!

I've been mulling over placing her age higher, as I don't want her to be perceived as immature- but I also don't want her to be too surefooted in her direction in life. (angst, angst) - Not to mention, lifespans in Eorzea, while similar to typical humans, might lend themselves to rapid maturation. What with all the constant facing of their own mortality.

Anywho, if you're reading this, thank you for taking the time to peer at my ramblings. I really appreciate it.

(Also, my apologies if this belongs elsewhere- Still getting a lay of the land here.)

RE: First character write-up: Any tips? - SafetyGoggles - 04-10-2017

This is a very solid write-up that includes quirks (standing on higher ground to appear tall) personality traits, stories from her past  (How she got her white locks) and an overall familiarity with hiw she looks and acts. It feels like you put plenty of thought into her, which is great.

Also, she should meet my Keeper Alexa Rose, who is also an alchemist c: and also very straightforward!

RE: First character write-up: Any tips? - Roh - 04-10-2017

(04-10-2017, 09:06 PM)SafetyGoggles Wrote: This is a very solid write-up that includes quirks (standing on higher ground to appear tall) personality traits, stories from her past  (How she got her white locks) and an overall familiarity with hiw she looks and acts. It feels like you put plenty of thought into her, which is great.

Also, she should meet my Keeper Alexa Rose, who is also an alchemist c: and also very straightforward!
Aah thank you, I wasn't sure if little quirks like that seemed disjointed to put in an otherwise basic outline.
And I agree, she definitely should! Two blunt beaker-bearers, painting the town red~!

RE: First character write-up: Any tips? - Faye - 04-10-2017

I think it looks great for a first write-up! Smile Short but solid, gives a good feel for you character, avoids the usual cliches, and no plot holes or lore-breaking. I think 27 is a fair age for your character to be perceived as mature. I think how other characters and role-players respond to your character is based more on how you portray her rather than what you have written in your bio. A lot of people you role-play with, of course, won't know your character's age right off the bat IC or OOC and won't necessarily remember it even after they learn it. My own character is only 26 and still receives a fair amount of respect from most characters and still carries a similarly domineering attitude. That being said, I think our characters could probably get along well (or maybe butt heads)!