Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plausible sounding technobabble, and MCH lore questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Plausible sounding technobabble, and MCH lore questions (/showthread.php?tid=19157)

Plausible sounding technobabble, and MCH lore questions - Siliconparody - 04-19-2017

So I reckon that if I'm going to be roleplaying as a MCH in this game, I should go full speed ahead with magitek technobabble. Problem is, I don't want the techno-babble to sound too sci-fi sounding: even for the Allagans, "artificial nucleosynthesis" would sound kinda weird, because I don't even know if the idea of protons, neutrons and electrons exist in the setting as they do IRL.

So, anyone more creative than me willing to come up with some specifically magitek-sounding technobabble, or share any you've used? Obviously this is taking liberty with the lore (like I do below), so feel free to get creative!

What I have lying around:

Aetherchemical Quantagrams.
Metabjuric Matrices.
"Aerotheric translocation by controlled coterminal plane-space warp" - teleportation
"Zero-point energy" / "inconservative energy" - force created by magic

---

Aeromantic Infadibulum (pronounced AIR-oh-man-tik ihn-fah-DIHB-uh-luhm) is the name artificers and historians in the know have given to a theoretical branch of magitek the Allagans used to power their floating devices, wheter they were the size of cities or a plate. It is believed to have been a combination of theoretical Hard Aeromancy and electro-thaumaturgy.

------

HOW TO JUMP START A CONSTRUCT IN STAND-BY MODE:

Step 1: Ether-charge the dynamo server. If this doesn't work, cross the poli-ellipsoid aggression relay.
Step 2: Replace the pyrolithic sub-node. If still in standby mode, prime the necrochromatic over-field. Tweaking the multiphased polarity is only recommended if you have access to a lunographic fastener.
Step 3: If construct is still in stand-by mode, cut the yellow copper wire.
Step 4: If cutting the wires doesn't work, push the triangle thing, jiggle the round thing, or twist the square thing. If that fails, curse at it.
---

Also, question about Machinists: do all of the bullets they fire simply created from the Aetherotransformer, or is that only "special" ammunition?

RE: Plausible sounding technobabble, and MCH lore questions - Sounsyy - 04-20-2017

(04-19-2017, 08:08 PM)Siliconparody Wrote: Also, question about Machinists: do all of the bullets they fire simply created from the Aetherotransformer, or is that only "special" ammunition?

A Machinist's firearm fires real bullets/slugs. The aetherotransformer powers the Machinist's tools and attachments, such as the Gauss Barrel - which, utilizing lightning aspect, greatly increases the velocity and penetrating power of the machinist's bullets. It can also provide extra juice for normal rounds, which is likely where the "ammo" reloading buffs come in.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Slug Shot: Swapping out standard bullets for an oversized slug, this shot impacts the target with shuddering force. In this fashion, a trained machinist employs various techniques to take advantage of a multitude of custom ammunition.
Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Gauss Barrel: An attachment for machinist weapons. By infusing the barrel with the aetherotransformer's accumulated energy, the velocity and penetrating power of subsequent shots are substantially increased.

Show Content

RE: Plausible sounding technobabble, and MCH lore questions - Siliconparody - 04-20-2017

Thanks for the compilation! My character is super big on anything Allagan related. I wanted to say that she carries around an actual Allagan firearm but I'm not sure if that would be too much and have it just be a "replica" like it actually is (I have the replica Allagan pistol as a glamour). I've taken to calling it a Bolter, because I don't know, the Allagans wanted to call their weapons cool names.

Though, given that many people casually throw around fireballs, channel the energy of primals, or do anime-esque king fu moves ( or just anime moves in the case of the dragoon), I'm sure having a sci-fi tech weapon like an Allagan firearm wouldn't be too out of place.