Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore about talking books. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Lore about talking books. (/showthread.php?tid=19178)

Lore about talking books. - Nisasi - 04-20-2017

So.. I'm rather noobish when it comes to lore.

I've recently toyed with idea of a mute character being able to write in an enchanted book and have said book repeat what is written out loud. Is there any lore prescident for this? Or is a bit outside the realm of possibility?

RE: Lore about talking books. - Sounsyy - 04-20-2017

(04-20-2017, 08:28 PM)Nisasi Wrote: So.. I'm rather noobish when it comes to lore.

I've recently toyed with idea of a mute character being able to write in an enchanted book and have said book repeat what is written out loud. Is there any lore prescident for this? Or is a bit outside the realm of possibility?

It's definitely within the realm of possibilities, and if anyone has done this I can guarantee you it'd be the Sharlayans. They are quite adept at creating Familiars from all manner of non-sentient animals and items (brooms, books, frogs, owls, etc) by way of "Quickening" magicks. If a Sharlayan mage can get a broomstick to talk, I don't see why they couldn't get a book to.

Encyclopedia Eorzea: Tome Wrote:Records from the early Sixth Astral Era reveal that these books were magicked by Sharlayan bibliomancers. Charged with the upkeep of the Great Gubal Library, several low-ranking bibliomancers devised a ludicrous plan to animate the establishment's tomes that they might fly back to their places on the shelves, saving the young men and women the trouble of doing the task themselves. The result was slightly different than planned, the animated tomes choosing instead to wander the library's aisles creating all manner of mayhem and mischief.
Encyclopedia Eorzea: Inkhorn Wrote:Sharlayan scriptomancers were the first to discover that the very wells and horns they used to store enchanted ink were being slowly altered by the receptacles' contents. The ink, applied to items to increase their aetherial conductivity, was increasing the horns' receptivity to magicks, and when one was accidentally bombarded with stray aether released from the selfsame spell which created Skatene, the first enchanted inkhorn was born.
Encyclopedia Eorzea: Skatene Wrote:Skatene are mind-quickened owls, granted sentience via powerful magicks much in the same way toads are transformed into poroggos. Sharlayan bibliophiles used these cloudkin to mind their tomes until the great exodus back to their motherland, in their haste leaving the skatenes to fend for themselves in the abandoned Dravanian hinterlands.
Encyclopedia Eorzea: Poroggo Wrote:Poroggo are essentially common toads which have, through arcane magicks, been granted faculties normally associated with spoken creatures, such as speech, bipedal ambulation, and the propensity for high-level cognition. Oft employed as familiars, the cognitive level of a poroggo is relative to the spell-crafting capabilities of the mage responsible for the creature's quickening. Once the spell has been broken, the poroggo will revert to its original state, retaining none of the knowledge it attained while sentient.
Magic Broom Minion Wrote:While you may not hear many of the realm's mages admit it, magicking a household broom to become a self-propelled sweeping servitor (albeit one which does very little actual cleaning) is far more complicated than it sounds, requiring no fewer than seven cants of binding.

RE: Lore about talking books. - Nisasi - 04-21-2017

(04-20-2017, 10:53 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 08:28 PM)Nisasi Wrote: So.. I'm rather noobish when it comes to lore.

It's definitely within the realm of possibilities, and if anyone has done this I can guarantee you it'd be the Sharlayans. They are quite adept at creating Familiars from all manner of non-sentient animals and items (brooms, books, frogs, owls, etc) by way of "Quickening" magicks. If a Sharlayan mage can get a broomstick to talk, I don't see why they couldn't get a book to.

Tome Wrote:Records from the early Sixth Astral Era reveal that these books were magicked by Sharlayan bibliomancers. Charged with the upkeep of the Great Gubal Library, several low-ranking bibliomancers devised a ludicrous plan to animate the establishment's tomes that they might fly back to their places on the shelves, saving the young men and women the trouble of doing the task themselves. The result was slightly different than planned, the animated tomes choosing instead to wander the library's aisles creating all manner of mayhem and mischief.
Inkhorn Wrote:Sharlayan scriptomancers were the first to discover that the very wells and horns they used to store enchanted ink were being slowly altered by the receptacles' contents. The ink, applied to items to increase their aetherial conductivity, was increasing the horns' receptivity to magicks, and when one was accidentally bombarded with stray aether released from the selfsame spell which created Skatene, the first enchanted inkhorn was born.
Skatene Wrote:Skatene are mind-quickened owls, granted sentience via powerful magicks much in the same way toads are transformed into poroggos. Sharlayan bibliophiles used these cloudkin to mind their tomes until the great exodus back to their motherland, in their haste leaving the skatenes to fend for themselves in the abandoned Dravanian hinterlands.
Poroggo Wrote:Poroggo are essentially common toads which have, through arcane magicks, been granted faculties normally associated with spoken creatures, such as speech, bipedal ambulation, and the propensity for high-level cognition. Oft employed as familiars, the cognitive level of a poroggo is relative to the spell-crafting capabilities of the mage responsible for the creature's quickening. Once the spell has been broken, the poroggo will revert to its original state, retaining none of the knowledge it attained while sentient.
Magic Broom Wrote:While you may not hear many of the realm's mages admit it, magicking a household broom to become a self-propelled sweeping servitor (albeit one which does very little actual cleaning) is far more complicated than it sounds, requiring no fewer than seven cants of binding.

Nice. Do you have the sources for these quotes?

RE: Lore about talking books. - Nisasi - 04-21-2017

Also. I noticed that these are for sentient objects. What about a non-sentient object?

RE: Lore about talking books. - Parvacake - 04-21-2017

(04-21-2017, 12:39 AM)Nisasi Wrote: Also. I noticed that these are for sentient objects. What about a non-sentient object?
They're quotes directly from the game lore. The broom, for example, counts as a non-sentient object!

RE: Lore about talking books. - Sounsyy - 04-21-2017

(04-21-2017, 12:39 AM)Nisasi Wrote: Also. I noticed that these are for sentient objects. What about a non-sentient object?

The source for the Tome through Poroggo blurbs are taken from Encyclopedia Eorzea's beastiary under their respective creature names. The Magic Broom is from in-game minion blurb. ^^ Went back and edited in more clear citations!

As for the level of sentience, or lack there of, that seems to be up to the mage. Matoya's broom servitors, for instance, have very limited cognition relevant only to their purpose. Taking the Tome lore on Sharlayan's magicked books, those didn't appear to have true sentience just... "programmed behavior" for lack of a better term, similar to carbuncles. You could theoretically magick your book to speak and nothing else. The magic broom minion's text seems to imply the whole quickening process requires a series of several, separate incantations.

RE: Lore about talking books. - Valence - 04-21-2017

I would advise to do the optional quests for Matoya - the ones where they don't give you a pointer, but just hints. They are probably your best source of lore for magicked brooms and porrogos.