Hydaelyn Role-Players
I made my first Signature - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: I made my first Signature (/showthread.php?tid=193)

I made my first Signature - Boots - 07-05-2010

It took me an hour and a half (mostly fighting fonts to see what would be readable and at what size) to create this after transcribing what I heard from the theme song found earlier. I used the lyrics for the text and cropped one of the very obvious FFXIV images we've seen floating around. I made it using GIMP 2.

But I did it. It is my first one. Ever. Big Grin
Now, what do you all think?

Re: I made my first Signature - Camille - 07-06-2010

It's nice, though some of the text is really hard to read when it goes over the darker shaded sections. It's a great first signature and I like the background image choice! (also - yay Gimp 2!)

Re: I made my first Signature - Boots - 07-06-2010

I'm going to try again when I get my hands on photoshop. There should be some way to outline the text so that it is readable over darker areas.

Re: I made my first Signature - Shamadconde - 07-06-2010

Have you thought of making it red?

Re: I made my first Signature - Satrina - 07-09-2010

Boots Wrote:I'm going to try again when I get my hands on photoshop. There should be some way to outline the text so that it is readable over darker areas.

There is, you can select the area around the text with a wand, then inverse the selection and expand it out slightly. Fill that area with a color for an outline and tweak it from there. You could also copy the text layer, scale it up slightly and make it a different color. Then arrange the layers to make it appear like an outline. Or if you hate yourself and your fingers you can sit there and manually draw the outline for each letter D:

Re: I made my first Signature - Soren Miren - 07-09-2010

An even more direct method:

Right click the text layer -> blending options -> stroke -> profit!

Re: I made my first Signature - Kashemia - 07-09-2010

Or add a slight glow to it, or a shadow, which should make it more visible too without being quite as obvious.

But yeah, nice signature, especially for a first one Smile

Re: I made my first Signature - Aveline - 07-09-2010

Yeah everyone has given good suggestions ^ That is great for a first sig! My first looked like a horrible fight between a set of fingerpaints and some pixels.

Re: I made my first Signature - Boots - 07-09-2010

I LOVE ADOBE CS4!!! I fixed a few of the issues that were addressed. I used the blending options that Soren Miren was talking to adjust the inner stroke, add an outer glow, and drop a shadow beneath the letters. Then I feathered around the text layer.
Edit: I also changed text font from Vijaya to Vivialdi.

After (Using Photoshop CS4):

[Image: final-fantasysig2-1.jpg]

Before (Using GIMP 2):

[Image: sig1.jpg]