Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread (/showthread.php?tid=19397)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Virella - 05-17-2017

Well new roleplayers just got shafted.

Because lets face it, nearly everyone will want to join the big server and not the one with 3 serious roleplayers on it. Sort of feel let down by this? I know non-Balmung people don't agree with this, and are probably happy with this. But I like seeing new blood rolling into the RP community on Balmung.

Welp. I just hope another server will start to flourish for roleplay, but I'm certain a lot of potential new roleplayers will just give up before they even start.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Izayoi Okeya - 05-17-2017

What would be nice if they implemented [but I doubt they will] is to put in a system so that new players can have their first created character on -any- server. Otherwise it really isn't fair for new players at all to be locked out because of people overloading the server.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Mordred Lyloche - 05-17-2017

I can't say I am inherently surprised, but I am disappointed.

I had just bought FFXIV for my brother on Sunday and was looking forward to him being on Balmung shortly after maintenance was done. Lol. Nope!

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - LiadansWhisper - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 03:39 AM)Virella Wrote: Well new roleplayers just got shafted.

Because lets face it, nearly everyone will want to join the big server and not the one with 3 serious roleplayers on it. Sort of feel let down by this? I know non-Balmung people don't agree with this, and are probably happy with this. But I like seeing new blood rolling into the RP community on Balmung.

Welp. I just hope another server will start to flourish for roleplay, but I'm certain a lot of potential new roleplayers will just give up before they even start.

I mean, it just basically means I will stop trying to bring my friends to the game. Because this is the only server I play on, and most of my friends are RPers and I'm not going to strand them on some low pop server.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Cassandra - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 03:47 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 03:39 AM)Virella Wrote: Well new roleplayers just got shafted.

I mean, it just basically means I will stop trying to bring my friends to the game.  Because this is the only server I play on, and most of my friends are RPers and I'm not going to strand them on some low pop server.

And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way, I agree. Not offering a free transfer off high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Virella - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 03:56 AM)Cassandra Wrote: And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way, I agree. Not offering a free transfer off high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.
I think FFXI had an invite pass system for locked servers. So you could still invite your friends over to come join you on your (locked) server when creating a new character. Who knows they might implement that on the long run, if they don't open Balmung up again. Not that would be ideal, but it would be something.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - LiadansWhisper - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 03:56 AM)Cassandra Wrote: And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way, I agree. Not offering a free transfer off high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.

I mean, there's a couple things that they could do.

They could re-implement the afk timer. No one needs to be afk on the server for hours, days, or weeks at a time when there are other players who want to actually play the content.

They could address the issue of bots flooding the character creation the moment the restrictions are relaxed (causing them to immediately shut down once again).

They could officially designate Balmung as an RP server, which would probably encourage some PvE guilds to move elsewhere.

They could enable people to group with their friends, regardless of server, for things like dungeons and raids.

The bot and afk timer issues, though, would be most helpful, in my opinion.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Maril - 05-17-2017

I would think that FFXIV is going in Rift's direction, which now allows you (and has for like four years, I guess) to teleport to any world your friend is on by joining their party. It started as a bug and then they made it a feature. I think it also tries to place you in mediumpop zones when you level, or at least that's what it felt like yesterday.

Either way, as much as it sucks with the timing, I have some hopes that it can even out Balmung entirely. Free gametime, better conditions for transferring and so on may entice more of the people who only PvE (and are maybe a bit tired of the RP'ers) to seek to greener pastures - especially since raids can be formed across more servers and such. So they don't stand to lose as much as RPers would. I also think that if all of the RP'ers from Balmung moved, whichever server we'd go to would become high pop and lock down. Cause we're quite a few. 

But yeah. It might also help nurture some of the smaller RP communities, I would certainly encourage people who are scattered over many of the smaller servers (Jenova, Mateus..) to see if it's possible to come together completely in one place and foster Balmung's little sister.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Moonlit - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 03:58 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I mean, there's a couple things that they could do.

They could re-implement the afk timer.  No one needs to be afk on the server for hours, days, or weeks at a time when there are other players who want to actually play the content.

They could address the issue of bots flooding the character creation the moment the restrictions are relaxed (causing them to immediately shut down once again).

They could officially designate Balmung as an RP server, which would probably encourage some PvE guilds to move elsewhere.

They could enable people to group with their friends, regardless of server, for things like dungeons and raids.

The bot and afk timer issues, though, would be most helpful, in my opinion.

I definitely agree about bots and afk timers. Something like GW2 would be nice with the adjustment that it registers text. I don't mind being kicked out after 30 minutes - 1 hour of afk. However, if I'm roleplaying I hate doing the dumb little shimmy. Though, I think when XIV had implemented their afk timer, it had registered text. So. There's that.

I know to some extent they are trying with bots. While the server's tightly locked, I drastically see a whole lot gilsellers which is a step in the right direction (but no by perfect or a solution). They do release stats on how many people are gutted for botting, it's a lot, bots are just. . .   They're one of those things that I don't think anyone's perfectly removed.

(05-17-2017, 04:00 AM)Maril Wrote: I would think that FFXIV is going in Rift's direction, which now allows you (and has for like four years, I guess) to teleport to any world your friend is on by joining their party. It started as a bug and then they made it a feature. I think it also tries to place you in mediumpop zones when you level, or at least that's what it felt like yesterday.

As long as this doesn't mean megaservers I'm okay. Because there's no way in the seven hells that I want to go back to that and all the problems it creates vs the minimal that it solves.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - foxfirestorm - 05-17-2017

*looks over here*

(05-17-2017, 03:07 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 02:49 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Kind of shitty they did this so suddenly without warning.

They've been telling us to not transfer to fill world's for a really long time. They just weren't actually enforcing their words. It sucks, but this is also the perfect chance to foster some larger RP communities on other servers. (I can almost hear Mateus server people screaming!)

And why would we be screaming?
Just curious actually.

Given the reason I generated the RPC on Mateus was to actually prepare for this very thing. To grow a location that was extremely low pop to help bleed off what was going to be Balmung (formly Besaid) mass size being locked.

I can't help but since a little aggression from that, though I do know some people on Mateus have not been very.... well behaved. Though such behavior is out of my hands, sadly. Given there is now a growing mix culture on the server.. And even I plan to step away from the RPC I started and formulate something else to continue to foster some growth.

Edit Note:
You guys can either help with this or not. Maybe even look at other low pop servers, but I was part of the team that helped make Balmung what it is today and back then-- we never dreamed it would get this large. It sucks, yes, but it is also not the end of the world.

PS - could also be miss reading the aggression levels. It is late and running on lack of sleep. Go text context missing! *does a go go gadget dragoon! ... Right off the Titan platform*

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Iron Bride - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 03:21 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 03:19 AM)Dayuuqi Wrote: I've been kind of expecting them to do this for a while, to be honest.   It's a sensible move just prior to an expansion.

That doesn't mean it sucks any less for the folks that are affected, but I expect it will be temporary.

Temporary like the character creation locks that haven't been changed in like...three years?

Mmkay.

From what I understand, this was done for Heavensward as well.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Moonlit - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 04:33 AM)foxfirestorm Wrote: *looks over here*

(05-17-2017, 02:49 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Kind of shitty they did this so suddenly without warning.

They've been telling us to not transfer to fill world's for a really long time. They just weren't actually enforcing their words. It sucks, but this is also the perfect chance to foster some larger RP communities on other servers. (I can almost hear Mateus server people screaming!)

Just curious actually.

I don't think there was aggression intended here. I think Merc meant like, "Screaming in excitement," because there will be more people going to your server. At least, that's how I read the implication! I could be wrong. ^-^;;

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - foxfirestorm - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 04:43 AM)Moonlit Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 04:33 AM)foxfirestorm Wrote: *looks over here*

Just curious actually.

I don't think there was aggression intended here. I think Merc meant like, "Screaming in excitement," because there will be more people going to your server. At least, that's how I read the implication! I could be wrong. ^-^;;

Yeah-- why I added my PS, cause I realized I probably was misreading. It is late. I'm tired. I feel shitty this is happening to Balmung at the same time--- Having to deal with growing pain issues on the RPC which has me grinding my teeth.

Combine it all together and you got rawr Xaela! XD

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - Iron Bride - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 04:00 AM)Maril Wrote: But yeah. It might also help nurture some of the smaller RP communities, I would certainly encourage people who are scattered over many of the smaller servers (Jenova, Mateus..) to see if it's possible to come together completely in one place and foster Balmung's little sister.

It would be lovely to have a more consolidated "little sister" server for RP here, especially given character slot limitations!  I have far more ideas for characters than I do slots, but I'm hesitant to make a character on a server that doesn't have a substantial RP community on it.  

I actually walked away from FFXIV after playing the free trial once over a year ago, because I didn't know I could pay to transfer into a new-character-locked Balmung, and the only other server that was listed here as having a roleplaying community was Gilgamesh (also locked).  So not having a community-designated secondary server actually hurt my willingness to stay with the game in that case.  It's possible we could grow the RP community by having another option out there.

RE: High Pop Anti-Transfers - YaiCola - 05-17-2017

Fortunately for myself I have all the alts I had planned for the immediate future but I very much hope this isn't a permanent change. I understand their desire to advocate for spreading out to another server due to latency and other issues but.. darn.