Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) (/showthread.php?tid=19405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - EliBallard - 05-17-2017

I've been a Balmung poster on Tumblr up until now but I'll likely start dropping some Mateus stuff in the weeks to come. Only have a couple hundred followers but meh.

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - TK Hikaru - 05-17-2017

Throwing in my vote for Mateus. There's a small cluster of us, but we're trying our damned hardest to create a thriving roleplay community.

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - foxfirestorm - 05-17-2017

(05-17-2017, 11:19 PM)EliBallard Wrote: I've been a Balmung poster on Tumblr up until now but I'll likely start dropping some Mateus stuff in the weeks to come. Only have a couple hundred followers but meh.

You and I probably should talk about this tumblr thing.

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - Cassandra - 05-18-2017

For those curious, the unofficial census does allow us to speculate which servers will likely receive these supposed benefits. Currently, the respective populations of the servers mentioned are:

Fareie: 11,513
Siren: 7,649
Maeteus: 4,423

It's a damn near certainty Maeteus will be first in line to become a "bonus" server given it has the lowest population outside Japan. So if the idea is looking at whichever servers may have free transfer options. Maeteus looks to be a prime candidate. While I, too, am a bit cautious suddenly labeling anything the new secondary roleplay server right now, I also feel one has to be chosen at some point because a major issue with roleplay outside Balmung has always been splitting the community too thin. Even shifting over an alt might do wonders to boost any one of these servers and give them much needed promotion.

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - Widow1987 - 05-18-2017

Hello, 

I would like to respectfully put forth the server of Faerie. Not as a replacement Balmung but as an alternative  for those looking for rp but cannot join Balmung at this time. The rp community is still in its growing phases on Faerie but it is showing promise and proving to be a warm place. Multiple FC's have already begun networking and hosting open events for all to join and create a community. They have formed an enjin page to coordinate and have an rp community wide linkshell and discord for furter community and coordination. Also many FCs have created entire fc housing dedicated to open acess to rpers looking for a tavern setting with live tenders and lively conversation. 

Long story short. The promise and community on Faerie is there for any willing to come take a look. 

You may contact myself, Widow Hakumei or Lynaea Flores for invites to the linkshell and various FCs once you arrive. 

Happy hunting all

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - Maril - 05-18-2017

I am just going to throw in one of the ideas that have surfaced on the discord that has been working to gather information about the other communities thus far, and then I will give you the information we have gotten as well. 

One of the big things I have seen, which people seem to support as well, is to have stunt doubles of your existing characters on various servers. Several server reps (FC leads etc.) have stated they'd be willing to host events which would be easily accessible by e.g a level 15 character. Even going so far as to provide rides on 2 person mounts to get people to locations that it would be risky and lengthy to run to. I think this is a great way to ease up on the fact that the community is otherwise very scattered. Obviously mains have to be somewhere, but even to that end, rolling alts to check out various communities may help ease that choice - and building a culture where the server you play on isn't going to restrict you from some events is only beneficial, in my eyes. 

Presently I know there are RP communities on;
Jenova 
Coeurl 
Lamia 
Mateus
Cerberus 
Cactuar 
Ultros 
Leviathan 
Hyperion
Midgardsomr 
Gilgamesh
Famfrit

These are either organised in linkshells or guilds. Not all of them have websites. Size wise, a lot of them seem equal. 
I do not think that having a mentality of "Bigger is better" is going to be very helpful when looking for RP outside of Balmung. 
http://jenovacasualcorner.tumblr.com/ - Jenova 
http://rec-u.enjin.com/ - Jenova 
http://koto-ffxiv.shivtr.com/ - Jenova 
http://www.gilgamesh-rp.com/ - Gilgamesh 

Awoken Wanderers <WAKE> on Leviathan, Arche Koeln <Codex> on Lamia, Tantalus Threatre LS on Lamia, The Hearth LS on Leviathan.. And more to come. We will eventually get the names and links of everywhere. I hope you can use some of this info for your list.

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - Skae - 05-18-2017

If there are going to be a "second" RP server in addition to Balmung I think one of the first things to be considered is making an EU-based RP server. That there exists interest in such a server is undeniable - if there is enough interest is less obvious.

That of course does not preclude adding another US-based RP server as well - assuming the RP population is large enough to support it.

(Talking about a second RP server is a bit misleading since there historically has been a second un-official RP server: Gilgamesh. RP there appears to have died down over the years though.)

One problem with creating an alternate US-based RP server is that it will compete with Balmung (assuming Balmung opens up again eventually) and many RPers will choose to move to the largest one for obvious reasons.

An EU server would have less problem with this since then people would choose largely based on timezone.

RE: Alternate RP server: Discussion - Mercer - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 04:56 AM)Skae Wrote: If there are going to be a "second" RP server in addition to Balmung I think one of the first things to be considered is making an EU-based RP server.   That there exists interest in such a server is undeniable - if there is enough interest is less obvious.

That of course does not preclude adding another US-based RP server as well - assuming the RP population is large enough to support it.

(Talking about a second RP server is a bit misleading since there historically has been a second un-official RP server: Gilgamesh.   RP there appears to have died down over the years though.)

One problem with creating an alternate US-based RP server is that it will compete with Balmung (assuming Balmung opens up again eventually) and many RPers will choose to move to the largest one for obvious reasons.

An EU server would have less problem with this since then people would choose largely based on timezone.

Thanks for the feedback, Skae. There is already a growing discussion on an EU specific RP server going on just a few threads down!

On the subject of Gilgamesh, it is no longer a viable alternative since it is under the same character creation and transfer restrictions that Balmung is. It has also dwindled down slowly as Balmung lured it's players away with promises of a community that didn't actively grief them. The smaller servers seem to not have the same issues given... that they are really small and any population boost would be a boon.

The EU Server discussion!
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=19399

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - ExAtomos - 05-18-2017

I'm just gonna put this out there... being reluctant to use as many forms of social media as you can get your gaming hands on is not conducive to advertising and building your group. With careful planning and successful advertising, I was able to grow an FC on a backwater JP server from a carcass of only a few active players (but damn stubborn and willing to help) to a thriving international group of about 200. I've been there and it ain't easy work. Confidence, determination, cooperation, and flexibility will get you where you want to be.

I too have heard of a good handful of servers offering themselves as alternatives (Jenova, Siren, Mateus, Faerie, Ultros). Is there a good reason to keep yourselves separated between so many different servers?

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Maril - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 08:14 AM)ExAtomos Wrote: I too have heard of a good handful of servers offering themselves as alternatives (Jenova, Siren, Mateus, Faerie, Ultros). Is there a good reason to keep yourselves separated between so many different servers?

I think the lack of people grouping up on one server has come from the fact that there hasn't been a very clearly advertised and unified initiative- The attitude has been "You can just transfer in". Gilgamesh was a good attempt but there were several factors along with that server also exploding with people which made it more obscure and harder to find. As you also said, not wanting to use every platform available isn't a good thing, fostering a "Us vs. them" feeling just because Balmung is bigger and more people from Balmung use a certain platform isn't going to help anyone at the end of the day. 
So it's lead to a situation where people are scattered, and right now what is holding people in this scattered form is the fact that people have now worked hard on their own community bubbles for 1+ years, so they don't immediately want to uproot. This is where I hope NA will eventually see similar benefits to transferring as the EU are sported to get. People do seem to agree with the notion that they have to come together more, so I still think there's plenty of good possibilities to get more unification going even if it means people wont transfer anywhere right this second.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-18-2017

Like the EU thread going on, I would strongly suggest a vote. My opinion that if you should choose a sister to Balmung, choose a server that is (or will be) new, or very low on population, and all come together on that instead of popping in to say "Hey, we're doing fine, come here". 

You won't be getting much fights with the non-RPers over who owns what (I dunno why some think that's a thing but ah well).

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Kailani - 05-18-2017

I kind of agree on getting the ball rolling with a vote since there has been quite a lot of feedback already. Seems there has been a good amount of people who have started playing the game in the last few weeks who will not want to spend money to transfer, so it is really just putting off their game play at this time I know some want to hold off until they find out which server has perks, but you have no idea when that will happen and people could be two or three weeks into that character by then and won't want to move

I really do hope that an alternate server is created and it flourishes. My only true concern with it is that when Balmung re-opens its gates, how many people will throw in the towel and just transfer. My only other suggestion as well is not to consider that any single person or free company is the "leader" or figurehead of a community. The community will only thrive if multiple people and groups help make that happen. The last thing the server needs is to start out with a king of the hill mentality. You don't need cliques before things have even started

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Kage - 05-18-2017

Consider this example (all of these are hypotheticals):

Right now Mateus has pretty high odds of being absolutely considered for free world transfers. Other options being Faerie and Siren.

Faerie and Siren don't get the free world transfer. Faerie has 100 more roleplayers than Siren which has 50 more than Mateus. There are multiple completely free housing wards on Mateus that are completely untouched. Faerie and Siren's housing wards are 3/4ths full. Of the roleplayers in Faerie, not many Raid but those on Siren do as well as those on Mateus.

So overall, the roleplayer population on Faerie and Siren each is more than Mateus. But, Mateus has more housing open. Faerie has the most population but now more of them have access to more raid groups and houses too.

There may be a net gain for those groups to consolidate on Mateus because of the incentives. Some portion of your housing costs are liquidated to provide you with more housing options that weren't available. The money cost is waived which eases the highly likely disgruntlement of whichever community ends up needing to transfer.

Having multiple groups come together is most likely a better option then doing what has been done before which is sending people to the various communities. It's also highly unfair to the other communities to just choose a place to send people to.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Mercer - 05-18-2017

I would like to give the thread another day or two to develop. Yes, there has been a good amount of feedback, but as it has been show there are many RP communities out there. I would like to give those other small communities some time before I put a poll out there.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - FallenFedora - 05-18-2017

I'd definitely have to toss my vote out in favor of Mateus - I'm seeing a lot of love for the server, and it looks to have a steady foundation of RPers already upon which to build from.