Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) (/showthread.php?tid=19405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Redariesye - 05-18-2017

Jenova is still alive here, still kicking for 2+ years. We are currently getting our linkshell in order due to people vanishing and going inactive and being way too full. Hopefully soon we can get all the info in order to post them in FC and Linkshell stuff, currently I believe there are two or three FCs that rp, but recently a few more showed up so we shall see.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - EliBallard - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 03:50 AM)Maril Wrote: I am just going to throw in one of the ideas that have surfaced on the discord that has been working to gather information about the other communities thus far, and then I will give you the information we have gotten as well. 

One of the big things I have seen, which people seem to support as well, is to have stunt doubles of your existing characters on various servers. Several server reps (FC leads etc.) have stated they'd be willing to host events which would be easily accessible by e.g a level 15 character. Even going so far as to provide rides on 2 person mounts to get people to locations that it would be risky and lengthy to run to. I think this is a great way to ease up on the fact that the community is otherwise very scattered. Obviously mains have to be somewhere, but even to that end, rolling alts to check out various communities may help ease that choice - and building a culture where the server you play on isn't going to restrict you from some events is only beneficial, in my eyes. 

Presently I know there are RP communities on;
Jenova 
Coeurl 
Lamia 
Mateus
Cerberus 
Cactuar 
Ultros 
Leviathan 
Hyperion
Midgardsomr 
Gilgamesh
Famfrit

These are either organised in linkshells or guilds. Not all of them have websites. Size wise, a lot of them seem equal. 
I do not think that having a mentality of "Bigger is better" is going to be very helpful when looking for RP outside of Balmung. 
http://jenovacasualcorner.tumblr.com/ - Jenova 
http://rec-u.enjin.com/ - Jenova 
http://koto-ffxiv.shivtr.com/ - Jenova 
http://www.gilgamesh-rp.com/ - Gilgamesh 

Awoken Wanderers <WAKE> on Leviathan, Arche Koeln <Codex> on Lamia, Tantalus Threatre LS on Lamia, The Hearth LS on Leviathan.. And more to come. We will eventually get the names and links of everywhere. I hope you can use some of this info for your list.
Most people don't have time to play on more than one server, let alone 12. That Discord server was a nice idea, but for a real new RP server that has a chance at growing (and now is the best chance to do it with SE making Balmung no longer an option) one or MAYBE two servers need to be chosen and named unofficial RP servers by us in the community.

This means some peoples feelings are gonna be hurt when their 3 person LS on Famfrit that RPs isn't on the same level as, say, Mateus and Siren with their actual multiple FCs and roaming RPers. You can't make everyone happy here and trying while shushing anyone who says something negative is futile and the sort of behaviour best left to Tumblr.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Mercer - 05-18-2017

From the feedback I've seen here and around the forums people are starting to get a good idea of what alternative server they would like. Please continue giving feedback because it greatly helps the new players that are coming in find a home!

Tomorrow I will be starting a new thread with a poll so we can start making some decisions as a community.

I please ask the community of servers to not be bitter or angry at any results that come out of the poll. This is a chaotic time and throwing shade will not help the situation. If and when a server is chosen it is not invalidating your choice and effort but rather what players feel like is the most secure and safe avenue for the future.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Ellmida - 05-18-2017

Didn't someone mention a few months ago that there was also a small rp community on Sargentas?

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Maril - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 10:56 AM)EliBallard Wrote: Most people don't have time to play on more than one server, let alone 12. That Discord server was a nice idea, but for a real new RP server that has a chance at growing (and now is the best chance to do it with SE making Balmung no longer an option) one or MAYBE two servers need to be chosen and named unofficial RP servers by us in the community.

This means some peoples feelings are gonna be hurt when their 3 person LS on Famfrit that RPs isn't on the same level as, say, Mateus and Siren with their actual multiple FCs and roaming RPers. You can't make everyone happy here and trying while shushing anyone who says something negative is futile and the sort of behaviour best left to Tumblr.

I do not think anyone is asking to commit to 12 servers or even fulltime alts? It takes about an hour or two to get a character to level 15 that you an go to events with. It's not a huge tradeoff for the chance of new lasting connections. Regular players and roleplayers alike, we tend to want to be where our friends are. You don't make new friends by not reaching out.

And whilst I am sure a lot of people would wish we could just snap our fingers and go we're going -here-, that is not going to be how it happens. It will be a slow process if anything, and the only thing that can speed it up is if Squeenix decides to make transfer incentives for the US as well. It needs steady work from a lot of firesouls, and I think calling people out on not wanting to move is very disrespectful to those who are doing something for their server and have done so for a long time. Even if there's "only" two guilds to move, that is still a lot of people who need to have the means for it, it is a huge undertaking and I do not envy those who decide to spearhead it if at one point the opinions in the community changes in favor of a move. This is sowing a lot of seeds, people are getting to know each other & now it "only" takes persistence to get the rest of the way. Who knows, maybe people will all end up on Mateus- it's just not gonna happen by tomorrow.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Kage - 05-18-2017

Guys, the Bonus incentives for transferring are not EU only.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Arrelaine - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 03:19 PM)Kage Wrote: Guys, the Bonus incentives for transferring are not EU only.
This. Once the transfers become free, I'll be transferring a couple of my alts/starting new alts on the next RP server(s). Multiple choice is not a bad thing when it comes to communities.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Kage - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 03:26 PM)Arrelaine Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 03:19 PM)Kage Wrote: Guys, the Bonus incentives for transferring are not EU only.
This. Once the transfers become free, I'll be transferring a couple of my alts/starting new alts on the next RP server(s). Multiple choice is not a bad thing when it comes to communities.
They are however limited to where you can transfer. Square Enix is trying to direct peoples so their bonuses are for designated worlds.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Seraphine Felstar - 05-18-2017

So I thought I'd throw in my two cents...

Would have been cool if SE designated specified RP servers like in WoW. They should have made housing instanced like mog houses in FFXI. They could have seen how popular RP was and been more accommodating. But they didn't. Sucks for us and puts the community under stress having to have sucky server debates.

In the past year, I've RP'ed on Balmung, Gilgamesh and Mateus. They all have pros and cons about them and each server is a bit different in how they choose to define themselves as a community. And ya know what? - It's all good. It's very cool to see how many people love being creative with their characters and want to share that with others. Sure, the other servers will never have the sheer number of RP'ers that Balmung has, but there is also something to be said for smaller, tight-knit communities too.

The best way to make a secondary server succeed is to stop comparing it to Balmung, because it's not going to end up exactly the same. We have a great group of people on Mateus who are willing to lead and wanting to offer help. I'd love to see more people who want to join in the fun, strengthen the existing FC's and help make events. We need people who are willing to step out of their comfort zone and get out there to meet new friends. Most importantly, it would be great to see those who are invested in making a secondary server succeed long term by simply showing up and being consistent with RP. 

And let's face it, worst comes to worse and the whole thing folds, well, one day Balmung will open again. Nothing ventured, nothing gained Wink

Finally, I have made a lot of friends this past year on all the servers. What I've noticed is even if I leave a RP community, I stay friends with the people in that group. I still chat with people on all three servers (and Hyperion since that's where my FFXI end game LS went) and I'm happy to RP with anyone on discord at any time. It would be nice if we could not see each other as enemies, competition, or worlds apart, but just appreciate everyone for their creativity, efforts and be supportive Thumbsup 

[sub]And a shameless plug for Avalon FC on Mateus since we are looking for members Wink[/sub]

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Leggerless - 05-18-2017

Potential selling point for a different identity from Balmung.

You know how Balmung has a lot of ERPers?

Maybe... don't make it like that. Like a bunch of pretty nice stuff.

Like a Witcher 3 story. Yes there's some sex, but it's definitely not the ruling element.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Mercer - 05-18-2017

I have edited the main post to reflect the new recommendations.

Please, do not bring discussions over the server lockdown to this thread. The general thread is for that. This is not the place to discuss if an alternate server should exist, but a place to discuss and promote alternate communities now that Balmung is closed for the foreseeable future.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Arrelaine - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 03:31 PM)Kage Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 03:26 PM)Arrelaine Wrote:
They are however limited to where you can transfer. Square Enix is trying to direct peoples so their bonuses are for designated worlds.
I'd say looking at population numbers, Mateus especially seems a likely choice for those benefits. I can at least make an alt on the chosen servers, but it'd be cool if one of them had the free transfers, then I could bypass stupid MSQ.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Zhavi - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 07:06 PM)Virella Wrote: I honestly have no desire to make another alt at this point, invest into it and all that. I like where I am (fuck me right for admitting that). But I want others, new players, and old alike interested in roleplay, to have a chance at that same comfort Balmung provides.

For, you, for anyone else feeling a little defeated or picked on or whatever.

If you like Balmung and don't want to move, if you don't have time to level an alt, if you don't have the money to transfer:

it's okay.

Being proactive, being supportive, being present and invested and giving a damn is just as important.

We have a saying at my work (I work for a non profit): those who can't give, go. Those who can't go, give.

Giving here can mean just flat out telling people selling points for other servers. It can be encouraging a discouraged person struggling on a smaller server. It can be offering resources, it can be helping with ideas, it can be patting someone on the back for doing a good job in a hard situation. It can be making light of a bad situation to help people smile. It can just be digging in and saying hey, no matter how shitty it might get, we'll figure something out.

But wherever you are, whatever you're doing -- this is your hobby, and you're passionate about it, and you're part of making the overarching community awesome. So keep doing that, and don't feel bad if you can't be everything to everyone. No one can.

And thanks to everyone coming in and speaking up and answering questions and all of that. Communication is always the first step in solving big problems such as finding a server to serve as a place for new people to go.

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Fox - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 07:24 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 07:06 PM)Virella Wrote: I honestly have no desire to make another alt at this point, invest into it and all that. I like where I am (fuck me right for admitting that). But I want others, new players, and old alike interested in roleplay, to have a chance at that same comfort Balmung provides.

For, you, for anyone else feeling a little defeated or picked on or whatever.

If you like Balmung and don't want to move, if you don't have time to level an alt, if you don't have the money to transfer:

it's okay.

Being proactive, being supportive, being present and invested and giving a damn is just as important.

We have a saying at my work (I work for a non profit): those who can't give, go. Those who can't go, give.

Giving here can mean just flat out telling people selling points for other servers. It can be encouraging a discouraged person struggling on a smaller server. It can be offering resources, it can be helping with ideas, it can be patting someone on the back for doing a good job in a hard situation. It can be making light of a bad situation to help people smile. It can just be digging in and saying hey, no matter how shitty it might get, we'll figure something out.

But wherever you are, whatever you're doing -- this is your hobby, and you're passionate about it, and you're part of making the overarching community awesome. So keep doing that, and don't feel bad if you can't be everything to everyone. No one can.

And thanks to everyone coming in and speaking up and answering questions and all of that. Communication is always the first step in solving big problems such as finding a server to serve as a place for new people to go.

Do you know if there's a master-post or something being shared on tumblr trying to get people to be aware of Mateus? I have a decent following and wouldn't mind sharing it on there and a few other places like my twitter. (I've still got about an hour at work but I'd like to share it when I get home.)

RE: Alternate RP server (Updated 5/18/17) - Zhavi - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 07:27 PM)Foxberry Wrote: Do you know if there's a master-post or something being shared on tumblr trying to get people to be aware of Mateus? I have a decent following and wouldn't mind sharing it on there and a few other places like my twitter. (I've still got about an hour at work but I'd like to share it when I get home.)

From what I've read in this thread, not yet, but it looks like Foxfirestorm and EliBallard were going to talk about it. I'd post in their linkshell thread, and maybe send a pm to Foxfirestorm, as it looks like he's coordinating/spearheading the efforts for Mateus.