Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Alternate RP Server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Alternate RP Server (/showthread.php?tid=19433)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Vexander - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 06:29 AM)Cassandra Wrote: What I do take umbrage with is their decision to lock high pop servers now but wait until Stormblood's launch before implementing bonuses or free transfers. Right now, no one has any incentive to leave since it'll still cost $18. They should have rolled everything out together, thus encouraging people to transfer instead of having us stuck in limbo waiting for them to figure it all out.
I don't disagree that they should've opened free transfers off now as well, but I will say Square gave me an incentive to leave Balmung: the Lag. Ever since the servers were relocated to the West Coast, the game was become far too unresponsive for me while on Balmung. When I logged onto Mateus with my main after moving him, it felt like how it was before the move. The lack of congestion makes the game easier to play.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 06:34 AM)Vexander Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 06:29 AM)Cassandra Wrote: What I do take umbrage with is their decision to lock high pop servers now but wait until Stormblood's launch before implementing bonuses or free transfers. Right now, no one has any incentive to leave since it'll still cost $18. They should have rolled everything out together, thus encouraging people to transfer instead of having us stuck in limbo waiting for them to figure it all out.
I don't disagree that they should've opened free transfers off now as well, but I will say Square gave me an incentive to leave Balmung: the Lag. Ever since the servers were relocated to the West Coast, the game was become far too unresponsive for me while on Balmung. When I logged onto Mateus with my main after moving him, it felt like how it was before the move. The lack of congestion makes the game easier to play.

That's kinda unlikely or it's your connection then. Balmung and Mateus are on the same datacenter. They share half the same servers (lobby, instances, etc).

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Papajimboh - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 06:29 AM)Cassandra Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 05:38 PM)Papajimboh Wrote: I do wish they'd announce soon though since most people would no doubt prefer moving and getting settled prior to the launch of Stormblood.

The reason they didn't is to avoid people flooding onto Balmung and Gilgamesh knowing they won't have an opportunity again for however long. They wanted this to blindside us hoping people like yourself would transfer off. I don't say that to be mean, but it's the unfortunate reality of how SE wants to handle Balmung's overpopulation. 

What I do take umbrage with is their decision to lock high pop servers now but wait until Stormblood's launch before implementing bonuses or free transfers. Right now, no one has any incentive to leave since it'll still cost $18. They should have rolled everything out together, thus encouraging people to transfer instead of having us stuck in limbo waiting for them to figure it all out.

That's actually what I was referring to. I understand them blindsiding us with the lockout for that reason. What I meant was I wish they would let us know which servers are going to be designated as free transfers prior to Stormblood, or preferably just go ahead and open them up now. 

Doing it at the launch is going to make it sort of chaotic for the community as everyone will be wanting to enjoy the new content, but also scrambling to get this situation in order. 

Sorry if I was unclear. Big Grin

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Arrelaine - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 10:24 AM)Papajimboh Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 06:29 AM)Cassandra Wrote:
(05-19-2017, 05:38 PM)Papajimboh Wrote: I do wish they'd announce soon though since most people would no doubt prefer moving and getting settled prior to the launch of Stormblood.

The reason they didn't is to avoid people flooding onto Balmung and Gilgamesh knowing they won't have an opportunity again for however long. They wanted this to blindside us hoping people like yourself would transfer off. I don't say that to be mean, but it's the unfortunate reality of how SE wants to handle Balmung's overpopulation. 

What I do take umbrage with is their decision to lock high pop servers now but wait until Stormblood's launch before implementing bonuses or free transfers. Right now, no one has any incentive to leave since it'll still cost $18. They should have rolled everything out together, thus encouraging people to transfer instead of having us stuck in limbo waiting for them to figure it all out.

That's actually what I was referring to. I understand them blindsiding us with the lockout for that reason. What I meant was I wish they would let us know which servers are going to be designated as free transfers prior to Stormblood, or preferably just go ahead and open them up now. 

Doing it at the launch is going to make it sort of chaotic for the community as everyone will be wanting to enjoy the new content, but also scrambling to get this situation in order. 

Sorry if I was unclear. Big Grin
This would be nice. They really should be opening it -really soon-.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - foxfirestorm - 05-20-2017

So, I've been fairly quiet about things as I've been giving a chance for the other Roleplay servers to come in and speak about themselves. I am in support of where-ever the cards may fall, as I know people will do, in the end, what they will do.

To explain a bit about myself, is that I am someone from the ye ol' days of Besaid. I was there during closed beta, open beta, and I watched the very formation of these forums. I actually remember when this place was called the RPC and not Hydaelyn; Or I think it now it is called H-RP.

I watched as we were merged with another server and we managed to keep our small, but lively roleplay community together. We didn't have Discord back then or many means we do now to keep the community connected, but we found the ways here in this forums to remain a strong community.

I also remember when the servers were closed down and when 2.0 started, but it was around here that I stepped away from Balmung, because my life took a very different path and I did, sadly, yes, burn some bridges because of it. I always lived in the shadow of that regret. Of the fact that my life, while out of my control, did burn bridges and tarnished my name a bit.

Knowing that when I returned and with little to no connection. The harder it was becoming for people to join Balmung and watching the posts here, I decided to create the RPC, name sake to these forums long ago, on Mateus.

Why Mateus?

Because Mateus was a very low pop server, a very friendly base community of the already mix culture that was there. The non-roleplayers were supportive and curious. The roleplayers were open and warm. It reminded me greatly of Besaid so long ago; My home.

I knew there that this place had the potential to be a flood over for Balmung, it had a chance to become something special and wonderful, and so I spent nearly 6 months of my time working with the community to build it up. To make amends for what I had done and to help support something that could flourish for the servers lifetime.

Low population means great place to build from. Its open. Its untouched. It can be shaped. It is a chance to start over and make anew. To learn from past mistakes and fix those mistakes to make something greater.

To come to Mateus, to support Mateus, is to build on a foundation of the great frontier as some many forefathers did before us. It has housing available, a market that can grow, and a community that can continue to strive forward.

I believe in what we are doing here and while yes, we do have our growing pains, and little subcommunities are being created as I type this. This is alright, it only shows the continued growth, the continued success of this building on this frontier.

You can join us on the RPC of Mateus or you can create your own path. We are ready for both of these, as a local of Mateus who is very supportive of Balmung, wishes to help as much as I, and is super excited to see all this work paying off. They even created a Discord to help keep sub-communities all together as one family. Because to be here, is to be family, and we all know families don't always get along, but its how we grow from those experiences and how we handle those experiences is what makes us as community.

I want Mateus to be a sister to Balmung. I love the people of Balmung, my former home, and I did this to help. I did this to help not only Balmung but to help increase the population on a server that needed the people; That wanted the people.

While this is not a direct link to the RPC, it is one to the Mateus Roleplay Commuinity, created to keep this family together as it grows and by the permission of the woman who created it, I'm going to link it here. Join on there, ask questions, see the community at its heart. -- Mateus Roleplay Family

I'm also sorry if this post is a bit messy, I am writing from my heart and I do hope, I really do hope. You will consider us, but what choice you all make as a community... Know this, I wish you all, each one of you, best of luck in your adventures, because what makes us all family, is the love of 14 and the love of roleplay.

Cheers!

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Leggerless - 05-20-2017

I'm just waiting for someone from every server to throw me their sales pitch.

That's it. Something simple. Sell me a product that makes Balmung look like the weaker of the two servers.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - EliBallard - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 02:00 PM)Leggerless Wrote: I'm just waiting for someone from every server to throw me their sales pitch.

That's it. Something simple. Sell me a product that makes Balmung look like the weaker of the two servers.
The fact that only 2-3 of the servers on the list have bothered to represent themselves should be proof that they're not suitable choices, in my opinion. If they wanted it badly, they'd be here.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Kage - 05-20-2017

To be fair, there is a sizeable portion of roleplayers who dislike RPC for any myriad of reasons. The question is: did people check or get enough social presence to get the word out to those communities?

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - foxfirestorm - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 02:00 PM)Leggerless Wrote: I'm just waiting for someone from every server to throw me their sales pitch.

Honestly speaking, Balmung isn't weak and I'm not sure why anyone would want Balmung to look weak. I am not even 100% sure why you wrote this either to be honest.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - EliBallard - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 02:31 PM)Kage Wrote: To be fair, there is a sizeable portion of roleplayers who dislike RPC for any myriad of reasons. The question is: did people check or get enough social presence to get the word out to those communities?
If they don't have a presence capable of knowing something like this is going on in any way, shape or form, they don't have enough of an infrastructure or base to support a community.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Kage - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 04:31 PM)EliBallard Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 02:31 PM)Kage Wrote: To be fair, there is a sizeable portion of roleplayers who dislike RPC for any myriad of reasons. The question is: did people check or get enough social presence to get the word out to those communities?
If they don't have a presence capable of knowing something like this is going on in any way, shape or form, they don't have enough of an infrastructure or base to support a community.

I follow a fairly wide amount of FFXIV people. You know what I see?
A) Don't panic no one is leaving Balmung. Nothing's happening.
B) Hey guys I know Balmung is closed. Come check out the community I am a part of on _____!

Nothing very widespread about getting large community efforts across all worlds to coming up with an alternative for NA. Just comments about "I don't think this is a bad idea to do it."

The majority of any similar effort I have seen has been on this forum with a small amount of those on the official forums and the even smaller tiny effort on the subreddit. I've seen the effort for EU on social media (tumblr, twitter, facebook).

Until this very week I didn't know that there was any presence of any large form on Mateus. I knew of Jenova's, Faerie's, and Siren's. I knew there might still be a struggling one linkshell on Midgardsomr as well as on Brynhildr.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Mercer - 05-20-2017

The fact that some people don't like, visit the RP-C often is a prime reason I don't want this to be the end all, be all vote. I want news to spread and a resource created that makes it far easier to find RP on alternate servers.

Leggerless has been spreading their vote over on Tumblr too, which I please ask people that use that platform to spread it. That poll has gotten a lot of attention and votes as well, some from servers that have no representation on ours.

Going forward, I plan to run the poll through Strawpoll so that it can be spread far more easily through the community as a neutral look into the RP communities. I've learned a lot over the course of the last week and I want to make sure even more people get their voices in starting Monday.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Kailani - 05-20-2017

Not even a thing of them not visiting the website "often", many RPers who are on Balmung aren't even a part of this website or other RP websites. I've met a good amount in game just via grouping and chit chat who have no interest in online communities like this and prefer to make connections in game. Or they just use Enjin.

I would suggest once this is all figured out, that someone posts the information on the OF though since it's where my friends ended up going to look for alternative routes. But I've pointed them towards Mateus since it seems pretty populated there and popular by the looks of this poll. They didn't want to wait another week for this decision to be made when getting ready for Stormblood.

Oh, also question.. With this:
(05-20-2017, 05:40 PM)Oswin Wrote: Going forward, I plan to run the poll through Strawpoll

Why?

Are you yourself going to be moving all your characters to the new server too? Because it seems you personally are putting an extended timeline on a pretty big decision, and I'm guessing quite of a lot those who did vote may want a determination earlier to find their own home. Just something to consider.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - IvikBlack - 05-20-2017

An extended timeline is important to me, because I want to make sure whereever we transfer that transfer from Balmung is free. I'd also like to know what the other benefits are, etc. But I think it's important to have a basic plan ready as well.

Also, thanks for taking charge of this Oswin.

RE: Voting for Alternate NA Server - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-20-2017

It's important to note that none of these polls are for some sort of Balmung move or migration. That's never been the point of any of them. Ever.

The point is, Balmung is closed. New people can't go there.

Until Balmung opens, what should we as FFXIV RPers propose for new RPers or transfers? Twiddle their thumbs and play another game?

If we expect RP to actually work and stick around on another server, there needs to be a unified effort on which ones actually look viable. This is one of multiple polls for that.

RPC staff aren't going to designate a server because we have no right to. That happens by "the community." The OP of this thread happened to start those discussions. That's it.