Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Alternate RP Server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Alternate RP Server (/showthread.php?tid=19433)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Alternate RP Server - Kage - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 07:11 PM)Arkghyom Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 02:31 PM)Kage Wrote: To be fair, there is a sizeable portion of roleplayers who dislike RPC for any myriad of reasons. The question is: did people check or get enough social presence to get the word out to those communities?
That's because HRC is not the only RP hub. There are other hubs that appeal to different styles of RP.
Yes.... I know this. I'm not sure what the use is of quoting me on it to tell me this does?

(05-22-2017, 07:07 PM)Papajimboh Wrote: I think the best thing people can do now is continue giving information on their servers and continue constructive talks of who may be interested in moving where once it's announced.
I would also suggest / propose continuing to reach out and have dialogues with some of the small communities on other servers. Seek info on what may entice more of them to contributing.

What other incentives are needed from Square Enix. I don't feel quite right in making a thread in asking people what they would want. I feel like a thread with a set of possible proposals for additional incentives would do better on the official forums. (Within reason, most people will laugh and scoff if you demand full house transfer)

RE: Alternate RP Server - Mercer - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 07:11 PM)Arkghyom Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 02:31 PM)Kage Wrote: To be fair, there is a sizeable portion of roleplayers who dislike RPC for any myriad of reasons. The question is: did people check or get enough social presence to get the word out to those communities?
That's because HRC is not the only RP hub. There are other hubs that appeal to different styles of RP.

Sadly, I am but one man. I do my best to gather and spread information but I do depend on other players to put in legwork as well.

RE: Alternate RP Server - IvikBlack - 05-22-2017

I went ahead and moved to Mateus with a friend today. Took the plunge, and will be starting an FC there. If anyone needs someone to talk to on Mateus, feel free to PM me.

I encourage other people who have the means/interest to go ahead and transfer now.

I'm going to start helping out and contribute what I can to make Mateus even more successful than it already is.

RE: Alternate RP Server - EliBallard - 05-23-2017

Can't say I'm a fan of the new directory thread. It hides the few real RP communities in among a dozen more that don't even have a presence here to show they're actively looking for or are able to support new people. If they're not sending people to us to list information about their communities, I don't think we should include them.

RE: Alternate RP Server - Mercer - 05-23-2017

Cross posting the new Alternate RP server Directory.

The RP-C currently makes it difficult to add or sort through communities not associated with Balmung and Gilgamesh, and there are resources outside of the RP-C that could prove useful. The new directory is to help keep alternatives sorted by server without being burdened by our discussions. 

If you have any new resources, communities, linkshells or free companies that need to be added please let me know in that thread, or through PM. I'll add it as quick as possible. If you know of any Tumblr resources associated with servers, let me know as well! I'd like to tag them in the directory to make a more inclusive list.

RE: Alternate RP Server - Mercer - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 02:21 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Can't say I'm a fan of the new directory thread. It hides the few real RP communities in among a dozen more that don't even have a presence here to show they're actively looking for or are able to support new people. If they're not sending people to us to list information about their communities, I don't think we should include them.

I think this is a very fair point and one I contemplated while making the directory. I'll wait for more feedback from others, but if the general thought is that if we don't have an active resource to put down we don't list it, I'll follow that.

Edit: I got more feedback that the empty servers bloated the post. I've since updated it and removed empty servers. If your server is not on the list, please PM me server info and resources and I'll happily add it.

RE: Alternate RP Server - Mercer - 05-25-2017

Apologies for the triple posting. Very bad form but it has been a couple days.

An alternate RP server discussion has been started on Reddit! Currently it's focused on Mateus but seeing as how we're gathering feedback from as many sources as possible it can't hurt to link to it and add to the discussion.

If you like RP and can't get into Balmung, why not come on down to Mateus?

RE: Alternate RP Server - Papajimboh - 05-26-2017

I've been debating making one on Mateus now, or waiting to move because of one detail. Maybe someone can clear it up for me.

The exp bonus + gil incentive.

Will it be only for new characters that are created after the list is released and free transfers opened? If I make one now will I miss out on either of those? It's also a potential place for a bug to pop up. (I've played enough MMOs to be aware of how things like that can sometimes have hiccups.)

We seem pretty certain Mateus will be open to free moves, and it seems like it's leading the pack for being a new RP spot, but I want to make sure I'm not missing any info before diving in.

RE: Alternate RP Server - Vexander - 05-26-2017

Nothing is final until Square Enix makes it final, unfortunately. That said, new characters will receive the gil and exp bonuses once they go into effect. My assumption is that this means existing characters will NOT receive the benefit. I'd wait for more details either way. That said if you wanted to roll an alt just to see how everything is, talk to people in-game, see various RP FCs and locations, I'd so go ahead, and just don't worry too much about leveling so that you can start a fresh character to benefit from the perks when the time comes.

(05-26-2017, 10:41 AM)Vexander Wrote: Nothing is final until Square Enix makes it final, unfortunately. That said, new characters will receive the gil and exp bonuses once they go into effect. My assumption is that this means existing characters will NOT receive the benefit. I'd wait for more details either way. That said if you wanted to roll an alt just to see how everything is, talk to people in-game, see various RP FCs and locations, I'd so go ahead, and just don't worry too much about leveling so that you can start a fresh character to benefit from the perks when the time comes.

Kind of what I was thinking. I started a character there to poke around a bit. I also created some on the EU datacenter since I haven't ruled that out as an option either, just to test the latency. 

I guess I can just hang tight then until we get more info. Thanks!

RE: Alternate RP Server - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-26-2017

Guess we're all waiting on SE to give us more info on these transfers before we can take some solid action. I hope Mateus turns out well for you guys, and I hope the EU crowd gets the similar treatment for one of the new servers.

(also that thread seems to downvote anything RP related or even having an opinion of Balmung. I've ventured on different EU servers, met alts there, and all of them are creeped out by the server)

No surprise, really. It's the same thing with Moonguard in WoW. It has a bad rep from people outside the server because it does have a lot of "questionable" goings on and odd individuals. At the same time, just like Balmung, or any other highly populated server in an MMO, it also has a lot of great people who are kind, helpful, and interesting. 

But people tend to latch onto the negatives because they're more fun to talk about. Humans, right? Smile

RE: Alternate RP Server - Yian Kutku - 05-27-2017

I'd like to confirm something/ask for permission:

If someone asks for a RP server suggestion on another forum, eg the Lodestone, should I start pointing them to Mateus? Is there anything else I should add? I'm not sure if I should just say "try Mateus", or if I should add in all the other possible alternates.

RE: Alternate RP Server - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-27-2017

(05-27-2017, 01:08 AM)Yian Kutku Wrote: I'd like to confirm something/ask for permission:

If someone asks for a RP server suggestion on another forum, eg the Lodestone, should I start pointing them to Mateus? Is there anything else I should add? I'm not sure if I should just say "try Mateus", or if I should add in all the other possible alternates.

This is basically the question RPC staff are asking too, since it's not our place to designate something. I'd probably still direct them towards the RPC in general to take a look around at the FC/LS Halls. Or point them to Oswin's alternate RP directory thread here: Alternate RP Server Directory While Mateus has been putting in a lot of effort recently, I'd still consider their community less-known than the older (and possibly smaller) ones that have been going on for a couple years on Faerie, Jenova, and Siren.

The best advice I can give to anyone trying to get attention for their server is to stay active in these threads! (And be active in other ones! We wanna see your IC posts, Prompts, Directories, Wiki pages, etc! The more life your server appears to have, the more likely it is of encouraging people to roll a character on it!)

RE: Alternate RP Server - ArmachiA - 05-28-2017

I think it's a good idea for the higher ups to kind of stay out of it, so it seems more like a grass roots movement then the leaders of the RPC trying to direct people. No offense to anyone here, but I could see people telling people not to roll on Mateus simply because the mods and admins of the RPC said to. And this needs to be about more than our petty grievances on our server.

HOWEVEr, there's no reason all of us in the community can't come to that consensus about it and start spreading it everywhere. It seems to be spreading around. I've seen it on Reddit and on the main forums. So everyone is doing a pretty good job so far!