Hydaelyn Role-Players
If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? (/showthread.php?tid=19452)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Kage - 05-20-2017

Even by LuckyBancho's numbers it was 26k???

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Literal-Ghost - 05-20-2017

I don't think it's going think happen. If SquE's goal is to have a more even spread player population across the board, I don't think they're going to put a big shiny sign over a specific server that says "hey, you should join here" to a particular demographic. (Legacy server aside).

If it does happen, I don't see it happening at least until NA server populations are more even across the board.

I also don't really see it happening unless it justifies each Data Server getting an RP server, and it would probably be a new server entirely for each one.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - ArmachiA - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 10:32 PM)Kage Wrote: Even by LuckyBancho's numbers it was 26k???

26k for the whole server seems about right. Considering most servers in any mmo I've been in are comfortable in the 5-8k range, Balmung being at 20k+ makes sense if it's in dire straights.

I'm not convinced even 10% are RPers though, feel free to prove me wrong Tongue

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 10:59 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:

26k for the whole server seems about right. Considering most servers in any mmo I've been in are comfortable in the 5-8k range, Balmung being at 20k+ makes sense if it's in dire straights.

We currently have 11,471 members registered on the RPC.

Of those, even if I was super-pessimistic and sald even half were bots/duplicate accounts (that number is actually released elsewhere), that'd leave us with a good 5000-6000 members. Minimum, because the bot-blockers are actually doing a pretty good job now!

Assuming that the vast majority of those accounts then are on Balmung, and that the RPC is only part of the larger collection of RPers on Balmung, I think it's safe to say we make up a significant portion of users on the server.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Hilde - 05-20-2017

It's incorrect (bad source), but there are more roleplayers than just a few hundreds for sure (whether currently active or not).

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Hilde - 05-20-2017

(05-20-2017, 11:30 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

Of those, even if I was super-pessimistic and sald even half were bots/duplicate accounts (that number is actually released elsewhere), that'd leave us with a good 5000-6000 members. Minimum, because the bot-blockers are actually doing a pretty good job now!

Assuming that the vast majority of those accounts then are on Balmung, and that the RPC is only part of the larger collection of RPers on Balmung, I think it's safe to say we make up a significant portion of users on the server.

(05-20-2017, 11:30 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

I'm not convinced even 10% are RPers though, feel free to prove me wrong Tongue

Agreed. I recall RP events that garnered in the 200 players area (and that was at that current time of the event, excluding users who never went or weren't online), and I've seen so many RP FC events that have maxed out house capacity with users coming and going. There have been Grindstone nights where just 80 people alone have participated as fighters - that isn't counting the healer and audience. 

RPC doesn't even count all the roleplayers, either! I know a good deal of people who don't use the library.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Virella - 05-20-2017

Mind you, I think despite those events being massively popular, I think the silent majority really doesn't like those big events. Not because they aren't fun, but just due to chatspam! Heck, I avoid bigger events these days due to it myself as well.

So while, yeah, awesome those houses are that full! BUT. I won't go take those as an indicator on how many roleplayers we really have.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Gabineaux - 05-21-2017

If they split the server in half and let me keep my house, I'd go with the rest of the RP. But if it was just 'lol move over there!' ...Nah, I'm not competing with housing all over again.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Hilde - 05-21-2017

(05-20-2017, 11:50 PM)Virella Wrote: Mind you, I think despite those events being massively popular, I think the silent majority really doesn't like those big events. Not because they aren't fun, but just due to chatspam! Heck, I avoid bigger events these days due to it myself as well.

So while, yeah, awesome those houses are that full! BUT. I won't go take those as an indicator on how many roleplayers we really have.
Hence why I said that the number is excluding people who don't want to go and those who aren't online to make it.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

(05-20-2017, 11:50 PM)Virella Wrote: Mind you, I think despite those events being massively popular, I think the silent majority really doesn't like those big events. Not because they aren't fun, but just due to chatspam! Heck, I avoid bigger events these days due to it myself as well.

True. And RPC numbers aren't really accurate either, since we had a huge influx of people from 1.0 and before 2.0 sign up. My initial statement was 10% - which was 2600 people - and I don't think I'm that far off. Still, I can concede is could be closer to 15%, maayybbe 20%. I still don't think Rpers are the majority of the server, or even near it. Even in WoW, with the notable exception of the one RP server everyone talks about all the time, RPers weren't even the majority on RP servers. It's actually kind of impossible for a guesstimate.

a few hundred RPERS (Not people, RPers) migrating to a different world - 500 would be 10% of the rpers - would be enough to really have a decent community (Not that that's a lot of people compared to Balmung but it's a good START). If that many transferred said they were transferring off, it's enough to give some sort of pause. A thousand and you may see people consider their stance on staying.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Shofie - 05-22-2017

Maybe, if they offered the housing refunds and exp incentives talked about for the EU realms. It's sort of ambiguous at the moment if those are going to apply to all transfers off high-pop realms, but I won't lie, it's sorely tempting to pack up and start somewhere fresh.

We'll see how it goes come Stormblood, I suppose.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Kage - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 11:17 AM)Shofie Wrote: Maybe, if they offered the housing refunds and exp incentives talked about for the EU realms. It's sort of ambiguous at the moment if those are going to apply to all transfers off high-pop realms, but I won't lie, it's sorely tempting to pack up and start somewhere fresh.

We'll see how it goes come Stormblood, I suppose.

It's actually not only for EU realms. It's for designated worlds across all data centers.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Shofie - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 11:18 AM)Kage Wrote: It's actually not only for EU realms. It's for designated worlds across all data centers.

I read that, but people seem to be up in the air on it for some reason. Either way, I'm not even going to really consider a serious move until I get hard confirmation that we'd get the same perks offered. I assume SE will post more about it the closer Stormblood gets, or shortly afterward when they open up the new EU realm(s) they were talking about.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Erah'sae - 05-22-2017

(05-20-2017, 11:21 AM)Virella Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 11:05 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
Quote:Maintain a positive atmosphere for roleplaying. Harassment of other players is never tolerated.

Given that WoW seems to have completely failed in enforcing that, I severely doubt SE would be able to. I'd rather stay on a server with my friends where I can speak freely if wanted.
They actually do throw the ban hammer quite hard on people who harassed roleplayers. Only places it was questionable was RP-PvP server due to you technically signing up for PvP as well.

If only they were consistent on that.... We watched Earthen Ring fall apart due to fallout from in game harassment by both roleplayers and otherwise.  Including hostile takeover of in game channels, infiltrating guilds to look the guild bank, and the like.

I have seen more anti-harassment action on FFXIV in the last year then I have over a decade of playing on WoW.  They're usually pretty prompt in response too from personal experience, especially if sexual harassment or hate speech gets thrown around as long as you're civil with the report.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Mercer - 05-22-2017

Hi, my name is Oswin.

You might remember me from such posts as "Dear lord, there are a lot of RP communites" as well as "Will this jackass shut up about server numbers?".

I'm here today to remind folks that the population bloat on Balmung is very real and RPers make up a large number of those people. Transferring off to a single server is not going to solve the problem, it's going to make that new server be in the exact same spot as Balmung.

The RP community in XIV is pretty damn huge. Membership on the RP-C for example grows at 4 new members a day. That's over 1,200 new RPers a year. The RP-C also has over 200,000 visits each month. Even if only 1/4th of the membership base of the RP-C is active, we are still looking at 3,000 players. 

If 3,000 players all moved to Mateus or Faeire, for example, it would push them from the smallest servers in the game to one of the top 8 biggest. That doesn't include people that enjoy RP communities going as well. Crafters love us, we make them millionaires. Trolls love us, we feed them delicious grief.

Really, the best solution is to build up two communities outside of Balmung. We have the player base for it. The RP community is just too damn big to keep a single server or two serves functioning healthy. The best solution in my opinion? Help the EU players build up a player base in their region, so their game play is healthy and help the NA players build up a player base on an alternate realm.