Hydaelyn Role-Players
If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? (/showthread.php?tid=19452)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Sig - 05-23-2017

(05-22-2017, 11:36 AM)Oswin Wrote: Hi, my name is Oswin.

You might remember me from such posts as "Dear lord, there are a lot of RP communites" as well as "Will this jackass shut up about server numbers?".

Edited: I am horrible at reading before morning coffee.

Designating alternative unofficial RP servers has not worked and will not work.  It will produce nothing more or less than a small, homogenized clique of RPers that will eventually stagnate, and it decreases the frequency, diversity, and types of roleplay available to everyone.

RPers should be supporting the request to designate an official RP server.  We should be posting on the official forums (http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324942-Transfer-Restrictions-and-Roleplayers) and trying to bring this issue to SE's attention however we can.  It's a request that virtually /everyone/ can get behind, and it would benefit the RP community immensely in the long-term.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Kylin - 05-23-2017

He did not make a personal attack at you. He was linking his own posts and poking fun at himself (Ie: calling himself a "jackass")...

Also, copying/pasting the same thing over and over is exactly the reason I personally stopped taking you seriously a long time ago. You've completely disregarded everything anyone else has said and continued to post the same exact response every time, even though certain points of your responses have been proven wrong with factual data. While your passion is admirable, your disconnect with the RP political world is astounding. You seem to think EVERYONE else is wrong and you alone are right. Your solution of letting RPers scatter to the winds while waiting until Balmung's community is ready to receive them is detrimental to the health and longevity to the overall community. If you are unable to see that at this point (even though just about EVERYONE else does), then so be it. Don't be surprised when you start getting outright ignored though at this point.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Askier - 05-23-2017

May I point out that, even if SE DOES make an official rp server, that server, like Balmung, will fill up. And, once it's locked, they will have to make a new rp server and thus the community will be split. Only now officially split. SE shut down the server for technical issues related to server stability and functionality, not cause they hate roleplayers. Making them open an official rp server won't stop the split. Wow had like 10 rp servers, many of which were full. There is no reason the community of roleplayers cant designate a new rp server and use it on our own. We shouldnt continue to beat drums and dead horses on SE'S door, demanding they tell RPers where they should or shouldn't flock too. We're all thinking people with educations and brains. Sure we can figure this out. We made Balmung work after all.

Less you need a corporate mandated and designated rp safe space or something. And then you have bigger issues

(05-23-2017, 09:44 AM)Kylin Wrote: He did not make a personal attack at you. He was linking his own posts and poking fun at himself (Ie: calling himself a "jackass")...

Thank you for pointing this out.  I suck at reading before morning coffee.

The problems with designating unofficial RP servers are systemic, and I've addressed the issue more times than I can recall (and never really heard a persuasive counter argument that explains why the problems will not be an issue the 20th time around).

The solution to this problem is simple: SE should designate an official RP server.  And this is far more achievable than most people believe.

(05-23-2017, 09:48 AM)Askier Wrote: May I point out that, even if SE DOES make an official rp server, that server, like Balmung, will fill up. And, once it's locked, they will have to make a new rp server and thus the community will be split. Only now officially split. SE shut down the server for technical issues related to server stability and functionality, not cause they hate roleplayers. Making them open an official rp server won't stop the split. Wow had like 10 rp servers, many of which were full. There is no reason the community of roleplayers cant designate a new rp server and use it on our own. We shouldnt continue to beat drums and dead horses on SE'S door, demanding they tell RPers where they should or shouldn't flock too. We're all thinking people with educations and brains. Sure we can figure this out. We made Balmung work after all.

Less you need a corporate mandated and designated rp safe space or something. And then you have bigger issues

I don't understand why people believe that a request that was made years ago to SE under completely different circumstances is even mildly indicative to what they would do now.  No one has bothered really pressing this issue recently because Balmung has been available as a central RP hub.

Unofficial server designations for an alternative RP server have not and will not work.  Balmung is a testament to this.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Gegenji - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 09:54 AM)Sig Wrote: Unofficial RP server designations have not and will not work.  Balmung is a testament to this.

... It's the server everyone knows is the RP server, the one people know to flock to, has a thriving RP population to the point that it's overcrowded... and SE didn't have to lift a finger to do it.

Yes, it sure didn't work.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Kage - 05-23-2017

There's many reasons for 'another unofficial (but certainly not lesser) RP server' to fail but leaving it up to SE to do the shit the RP community should and can do is the worst reason to let it.

While people can and are certainly not discouraged from asking SE to designate a server, the RP community is best served by its own members taking the reins and putting foot to ground so to speak. Relying on SE to do something about something we as a community can do is a fool's move.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - ExAtomos - 05-23-2017

What's kind of interesting to me is that some folks are saying there really aren't as many RPers as people seem to think and others are stating that putting all RPers in one previously empty server will make it just as full as Balmung is now.

Thus far, the only arguments against moving to an official RP server are:

1. But muh house
2. I'll only move if other people move
3. I'm against all RPers being in one place

I'm getting the feeling that the most divisive bit about the official server/1 server vs. multiple servers thing is how many RPers the individual thinks are out there. I support consolidation because I don't think there are as many RPers as we'd like to think there are. Putting all RPers in one bucket with their "I enjoy watching RP but not participating" friends and I would say we'd be a mid pop server. I do agree with the whole "we'd still be full" argument on one thing... it takes a crowd to draw a crowd (this was my mantra for organizing events on Atomos); this means that many non-rpers could still potentially flock to the RP server just because it is the most ACTIVE in the open world.

(05-23-2017, 10:00 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 09:54 AM)Sig Wrote: Unofficial RP server designations have not and will not work.  Balmung is a testament to this.

... It's the server everyone knows is the RP server, the one people know to flock to, has a thriving RP population to the point that it's overcrowded... and SE didn't have to lift a finger to do it.

Yes, it sure didn't work.

Thanks for pointing out typo. Edited. Unofficial server designations for an /alternative/ RP server have not and will not work.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 09:54 AM)Sig Wrote: Unofficial server designations for an alternative RP server have not and will not work.  Balmung is a testament to this.

They will work with enough attention and support from the community. Just like Balmung, minus SE's hardware capabilities which is forcing us to pick an extra place.

But what do I know, I'm not an expert.

Show Content

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Papajimboh - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 11:00 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 09:54 AM)Sig Wrote: Unofficial server designations for an alternative RP server have not and will not work.  Balmung is a testament to this.

They will work with enough attention and support from the community. Just like Balmung, minus SE's hardware capabilities which is forcing us to pick an extra place.

Show Content

The spoiler alert on that made me chuckle. Big Grin

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Mercer - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 11:00 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:

Show Content

BROTHER SIG! I knew you'd come. 

It has become quiet evident that you refuse to partake in lines of reasoning that do not line up to your own. You wish to depend on the actions of the Square Enix on the hopes that their whims may correct the course we have set the server on.

Many dispute these claims, saying that it has not worked before so we should have little faith going forward. Their views are PRAGMATIC, wishing to create a solution themselves rather than waiting for the Square Enix to chance upon the plight of a minority.

Balmung has grown too large and already buckles under it's own weight. Free Company houses become inaccessible, Free Company workshops and private rooms become locked behind a wall of Server Instability! These are not theories, but the realities of how Balmung has become Obsolete!

You say that such actions before have been met with failure, I disagree! There has never been such an occasion in XIV's history that has required the RP community act so swiftly. To be relaxed in such a position is an invitation for destruction! By ignoring the fresh lifeblood of our community we ensure that we shall starve!

This is a GLORIOUS opportunity for communities to grow and prosper. They are perhaps niche right now, as you have said, but as new players go to these communities they will grow beyond their previous boundaries into a wonderful new existence!

Show Content

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Leggerless - 05-23-2017

Is... is it over?

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-23-2017

(05-23-2017, 02:20 PM)Leggerless Wrote: Is... is it over?

If I got a gil for every time I heard this, I could generate enough actual money through RMT to pay our server costs.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Rosekitten - 05-23-2017

I'm still on the side where I don't care what server is being appointed (by SE or the community) I'm willing to pack up and move. I've had a good load of fun on Balmung but given the type of character that I play I think building a community foundation would be a better place for her. Also anyone I had ties to in game have long up and left so I'm one of the few I guess with no real ties holding me back to stay on Balmung. 

Still standing by what I sad in other threads, so long as the secondary server/world is supported by the community and isn't shunned out like a lost puppy with mange.. things will work out just fine. With time and effort everything grows.

So more back on topic.. would I move? Heck yeah. The only bonus I can think of is if the transfer is free. <3

Also to note on the push for an official RP server... What if the population is too large for a single server? It would be the same issue in that the server would become locked and the community would yet still have to divide. Also I have never seen anything wrong with multiple rp communities in a game.. Other mmos have multiple rp servers and most of those communities do just fine. Each server having it's own timeline, events and what not. Sure some are larger than others but nothing will be perfect.