Hydaelyn Role-Players
If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? (/showthread.php?tid=19452)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - ExAtomos - 06-07-2017

lol All these posts of "my friends are on balmung". I'm seeing just how many instigators there are compared to followers. ^^; I mean, I get you... I just see it differently. I'd go and I'd hope my friends would too (aka I'd be promoting the heck outta it in an effort to get people to move.)

What is making me a bit uncomfortable is how it appears that the disgruntled are the ones going ahead and moving to X server currently. The feeds negativity into the other server, promoting the whole "us vs. them" problem. I guess in a perfect world we'd have people saying "I was happy there. I am also happy here."?

I still hold out hope that most RPers can be in one place rather than thinned out via a massive diaspora. And personally, I like the idea of being on a server that's hard to get into; to me it means that anyone coming in really wants to be there. (This is similar in concept to the difference in atmosphere/culture between FCs that have out of game applications and/or interviews for potential members and those that take anyone and everyone.)

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Papajimboh - 06-07-2017

(06-07-2017, 10:57 AM)ExAtomos Wrote: lol All these posts of "my friends are on balmung". I'm seeing just how many instigators there are compared to followers. ^^; I mean, I get you... I just see it differently. I'd go and I'd hope my friends would too (aka I'd be promoting the heck outta it in an effort to get people to move.)

What is making me a bit uncomfortable is how it appears that the disgruntled are the ones going ahead and moving to X server currently. The feeds negativity into the other server, promoting the whole "us vs. them" problem. I guess in a perfect world we'd have people saying "I was happy there. I am also happy here."?

I still hold out hope that most RPers can be in one place rather than thinned out via a massive diaspora. And personally, I like the idea of being on a server that's hard to get into; to me it means that anyone coming in really wants to be there. (This is similar in concept to the difference in atmosphere/culture between FCs that have out of game applications and/or interviews for potential members and those that take anyone and everyone.)

I'm not sure the majority are really disgruntled. There will always be some, but I've seen plenty of people optimistic about a fresh start and meeting new people. I think most people don't think along the "us vs them" lines, it's just that the ones who do are vocal about it. They are just angry people, and they have to let people know they're angry. 

As for people really wanting to be there, it may be true, but WHY it's true is also important. If you were stranded in the ocean and there was only one raft floating by for you to climb into, of course you'd WANT to get into it because it's your only choice. I'm sure if you had money you would pay to get onto it. lol

The "Balmung or nothing" attitude doesn't make any sense now since it isn't an option for anyone who isn't already there.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - ExAtomos - 06-07-2017

(06-07-2017, 12:01 PM)Papajimboh Wrote: I'm not sure the majority are really disgruntled. There will always be some, but I've seen plenty of people optimistic about a fresh start and meeting new people. I think most people don't think along the "us vs them" lines, it's just that the ones who do are vocal about it. They are just angry people, and they have to let people know they're angry. 

As for people really wanting to be there, it may be true, but WHY it's true is also important. If you were stranded in the ocean and there was only one raft floating by for you to climb into, of course you'd WANT to get into it because it's your only choice. I'm sure if you had money you would pay to get onto it. lol

The "Balmung or nothing" attitude doesn't make any sense now since it isn't an option for anyone who isn't already there.

Yeah, I'll readily agree that it's the vocal minority and, as others have mentioned in other threads on the topic, I hope that those who are more level-headed will step in to be the even-louder majority.

I'm not in the "Balmung onry" crowd myself; I'm in the "I want SE to slap a label on a (preferably new) server and offer free transfers to (or from, depending) said server". This is my ideal resolution to the current problem we have.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - ZacharyVolfire - 06-07-2017

I probably wont ,but i would make an Alt for said server. On behemoth Since I run a fc and run RP LS on there I'm kind of Engrained into by now. Plus it's easy to invite people to behemoth since its not under as strict locks. IF everyone of my RL friends left, my fc died out completly and noone rped at all anymore then Id move after all that.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Papajimboh - 06-07-2017

(06-07-2017, 12:22 PM)ExAtomos Wrote: Yeah, I'll readily agree that it's the vocal minority and, as others have mentioned in other threads on the topic, I hope that those who are more level-headed will step in to be the even-louder majority.

I'm not in the "Balmung onry" crowd myself; I'm in the "I want SE to slap a label on a (preferably new) server and offer free transfers to (or from, depending) said server". This is my ideal resolution to the current problem we have.

I'm sort of in the same boat. Although it's difficult to predict how a server will pan out when it's entirely new and given a label. I guess that's part of the fun? lol

At least for the time being I'm occupied by leveling as I started fresh on my current account, and am working on 60. Shooould get it before SB. I'm just excited for about 2 weeks from now when we have a more clear idea of what's going down, and people have started making the shuffle.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Kousagi - 06-08-2017

After skimming the thread and reading OP's post, I think that despite the attachments crowd, I'd probably still jump in on the newly-designated RP server. Heck, even if there's worry of an us vs. them mentality, re; Balmung vs. RP-Server, I think I'd still probably choose the new one.

My reasoning is that right now, there are people who have never played FF14, much less heard of RP on it (or even RP in general.) These new people hear about because Stormblood comes out and makes it relevant again (or, in the future, another ex pac.) So let's say hypothetically around this time, we *do* have a designated RP server now. 

New kid comes in and says, "oh, wow, what's this, an RP server? I'll make a character on that and see what that means." Either that or new kid is already familiar with RP and says, "oh, wow, they have a designated RP server, alright, that's where I'm going!"

Because the new people aren't going to know Balmung's reputation as the de facto RP server until someone tells them about it. If we get any named RP server that is not Balmung, that will ultimately be where everyone starts to go. Everyone new and unaware of Balmung's history will go there and everyone from Balmung who simply want to try a new community will likely go there. 

So, really, I'm all for it. I personally think that Balmung's RP community will begin to jump ship over time as well if this happens. More player-run events will begin cropping up on the "Official RP Server" and roleplayers will want to check that out. This is even likelier if Balmung continues to have creation locks as non-RPers wrestle against RPers to get in. 

I say we should embrace that possibility. Fresh server, fresh start. Could be fun. There may even be a way to transfer over FC things or at least convert to credits that can be used on the new server post-transfer. And even if there's not, I don't think that a fully-packed FC will struggle much to get back to where it once was. Gil can be carried over by converting it to Aht Urghan coins and then NPC'd off. Gil caps have been lifted for transfer. Treasurers can start treasuring. 

Anyway, I just had to pop in to give my two cents, I think it'd be a fantastic idea and despite some hiccups in FC jumps, it won't be too bad at all. Shiny new RP server? Sign me up.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Papajimboh - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 10:14 AM)Askier Wrote: Man glad I got into the business of killing and selling horses for people to kick. I'm making a killing.
-da dum tch-

It isn't exactly beating a dead horse if it's still a current and relevant topic. We still haven't gotten the server list. People are making a push to have an official server labeled in the wake of the most recent lock out and RP discussions. 

Plus, new people are welcome to have opinions on subjects even if those opinions echo others. Humans have been around for a while now, and yet we still talk about the weather every time it rains. 

Kousagi: The point about people not knowing is valid. That's what happened when I started playing the first time. My guild mates and I from WoW decided to try out FF14, and chose a server (I believe Sarg) then after a couple weeks they got wind that Balmung was the place to be and all moved. I didn't want to move, and ended up quitting/taking a long break shortly after. 

Having it locked entirely for a while will guide people in the direction of expanding other communities instead of pouring it all into one. My wife and I are down to move as well, and for similar reasons.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Kage - 06-13-2017

Balmung won't be labeled an RP server as it's not a brand-new server. They don't want to force Non-RPers in a bad situation "why are you on this server if you don't roleplay?" - E3 Live Letter

>Need a survey and the timing is difficult so they don't want to designate an existing server an RP server

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Mercer - 06-13-2017

(06-13-2017, 08:30 PM)Kage Wrote: Balmung won't be labeled an RP server as it's not a brand-new server. They don't want to force Non-RPers in a bad situation "why are you on this server if you don't roleplay?" - E3 Live Letter

>Need a survey and the timing is difficult so they don't want to designate an existing server an RP server

Did my survey get referenced by Senpai? I don't know how to feel about this.

Edit: This is a joke. This is more likely they want to do their own surveys to collect data on an RP tag. This is very good news.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Momo - 06-13-2017

(06-13-2017, 08:30 PM)Kage Wrote: Balmung won't be labeled an RP server as it's not a brand-new server. They don't want to force Non-RPers in a bad situation "why are you on this server if you don't roleplay?" - E3 Live Letter

To be more accurate: We are looking for data to back that up, and we are looking at the timing of that which is sensitive, but we are looking at it positively not negatively.

BUT, either way, this is for you naysayers out there who are convinced no one on the team is listening to RPers, and that if we made posts on the OF, no one would care. EAT THAT.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Flynn Rosenberg - 06-13-2017

I'm happy with the answer. It's not a definite "no we aren't doing this", it's just about being careful.

(06-13-2017, 08:37 PM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: I'm happy with the answer. It's not a definite "no we aren't doing this", it's just about being careful.

The important note is the definitive "NO" on giving Balmung the RP server label. It's too big, too old and too diverse.

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Flynn Rosenberg - 06-13-2017

(06-13-2017, 08:38 PM)Oswin Wrote:
(06-13-2017, 08:37 PM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: I'm happy with the answer. It's not a definite "no we aren't doing this", it's just about being careful.

The important note is the definitive "NO" on giving Balmung the RP server label. It's too big, too old and too diverse.
Yes, this, because saying "Make this locked server that you have to pay to get into the RP server so non-RPers can go away" is just as toxic as "Ew RPers gtfo"

RE: If SE was to designate an RP server, would you move? - Teadrinker - 06-13-2017

(06-13-2017, 08:38 PM)Oswin Wrote:

That's not how I took this.

I'll rewind it when the VOD is out but what was said was

1.) Dev team is 50/50 about adding RP labels to certain servers.

2.) Adding this labels is easy peasy and not an issue.

3.) They're holding back because of fear of RPers creating a toxic environment by asking non RPers to leave the servers because it's an RP server.

At no point was it mentioned "We won't do this for Balmung."

World Transfer info on the 15th.