Hydaelyn Role-Players
Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Starting From Scratch! Returning Player (/showthread.php?tid=19523)

Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - GidgetLiddel - 05-25-2017

As mentioned in the title I'm a returning player starting from scratch. I have a few ideas but need some help and suggestions for a few things I'm still indecisive on.

I currently have a Hyur Midlander named Gidget Liddel, but I plan to purchase fantasia to change my race, I just can't decide if I want a Miqo'te or an Au Ra. Here are some examples of what the character might look like as each race.
Ä°mage
Ä°mage
My current character name does not fit with either of these races, but I'm cheap and was thing of a way to work that into my character's backstory. Maybe she was adopted by some Midlanders in Gridania when she was a baby. Or perhaps even dropped of at an orphanage where she as named by the Hyur caretakers.

The last conundrum I must face while getting this character ready for RP is what server I want to put her in. While Exodus is nice, it's just too quiet and not very RP based I have found. Which Server should I transfer to? What kind of experiences with RP have you had on your servers? Any and all input is welcome!

Thank You!

RE: Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - Impstatus - 05-26-2017

Making "was adopted by hyurs" as your character's backstory just because of her name is... kinda meh? I mean, it works, but it's not all that original option, but it does work, but it's damn unoriginal. Haha, loop is endless.

(Also I guess Krile has mentioned it's not her real name? So, I suppose you can find not traditional names from Sharyalan. I really cannot think of any other canon examples.)

Even in real life there are people with names which are not traditional. Even in real life some people choose their name, and change it. If leaving your character's background simple and clean is what you are looking for, do what you must. Gotta admit, sometimes the simple answer is the right one.

RE: Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - Vexander - 05-26-2017

Welcome back to FFXIV and welcome to the RP community!

If you're looking for a reason your character may have changed their name, it could run the gambit anywhere from leaving their clan and thus leaving behind their old identity (Miqo'te) to wanting a name Eorzeans can pronounce more easily and sounds less foreign, to present a more friendly air (Au Ra).

As far as what server to roll on, right now Balmung is locked to Character Transfers and Character Creation, as is Gilgamesh. A number of polls have been taken on alternative RP servers. Given my suggestion would be biased (coughs and points at the server under the avatar), I'll leave these links for you to peruse.

Alternate RP Server Directory - A list of what FCs/LSs/Websites each server has.
Alternate RP Server - A Poll taken to determine which server(s) would be most popular as a new unofficial RP server while Balmung and Gilgamesh remain locked.

RE: Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - Alastair Helyous - 05-29-2017

(05-26-2017, 09:35 AM)Vexander Wrote: Welcome back to FFXIV and welcome to the RP community!

If you're looking for a reason your character may have changed their name, it could run the gambit anywhere from leaving their clan and thus leaving behind their old identity (Miqo'te) to wanting a name Eorzeans can pronounce more easily and sounds less foreign, to present a more friendly air (Au Ra).

As far as what server to roll on, right now Balmung is locked to Character Transfers and Character Creation, as is Gilgamesh. A number of polls have been taken on alternative RP servers. Given my suggestion would be biased (coughs and points at the server under the avatar), I'll leave these links for you to peruse.

Alternate RP Server Directory - A list of what FCs/LSs/Websites each server has.
Alternate RP Server - A Poll taken to determine which server(s) would be most popular as a new unofficial RP server while Balmung and Gilgamesh remain locked.

Is Lamia really that unattractive server to RP as it seems? D:

RE: Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - Mountie - 05-30-2017

Unfortunately my own experience with that particular server is limited. I myself am a tad biased *tips hat at his own server* but I would invite you to make characters on all of your potential sources and try reaching out through /shout to see if you locate any RPers.

If you'd like to chat on Mateus sometime, feel free to whisper me or if you're beginning in Ul'dah chances are high I'll literally walk right by you since that's my turf!

RE: Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - GidgetLiddel - 05-31-2017

(05-26-2017, 06:30 AM)Impstatus Wrote: Making "was adopted by hyurs" as your character's backstory just because of her name is... kinda meh? I mean, it works, but it's not all that original option, but it does work, but it's damn unoriginal. Haha, loop is endless.

(Also I guess Krile has mentioned it's not her real name? So, I suppose you can find not traditional names from Sharyalan. I really cannot think of any other canon examples.)

Even in real life there are people with names which are not traditional. Even in real life some people choose their name, and change it. If leaving your character's background simple and clean is what you are looking for, do what you must. Gotta admit, sometimes the simple answer is the right one.
You are very right. I was unaware of how common the whole "adopted by another race" trope was in ffxiv. Upon further research I realized how common it was and quickly changed my mind. I have also decided to save myself $10 and tweak my character only a little bit. In the end the only major change has been her hair color. For now.

I also decided on Mateus on the recommendations of a few Balmung players.

If I happen to cross you I will say hi, Mountie.

RE: Starting From Scratch! Returning Player - TheLastCandle - 05-31-2017

If you haven't already transferred to Mateus, one way I found to circumvent the whole naming conundrum a while back was to create a character on the new server with the same name as the transferring character. That way, you only need the Fantasia because when you transfer there, it'll inform you that you need to change your name.

I hope that helps!