Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? (/showthread.php?tid=19530)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - ExAtomos - 05-26-2017

Someone has posted /why/ the QS is the hub a few times before. I'll see if I can dig it up after coffee.

On a side note, I run a portable hub every month. XD

(05-25-2017, 10:37 PM)Valic Wrote: EDIT: Also I'm aware not EVERYONE on Balmung roleplays and I'm sure not everyone cares to see it everywhere. I'm only asking for more potential variety/diversity, perhaps even a change with SB coming to make a new hub even. Or to spread it out just a bit more than confining it to Ul'dah's busy quicksand. I'm sure a little less traffic there could be welcome too as well as seeing open RP hubs somewhere besides there.

In the other thread, I mentioned rping in Ul'dah, but you felt it wasn't specific enough. When I rp outside of the Goblet, I /do/ rp anywhere but at the QS unless I'm just looking to meet random people. I use the THM library, airship dock, and back alleys frequently (as well as Central and West Thanalan for that matter). Few rpers like staying in one spot. I'll also see people at the Coffer & Coffin, Baderon's bar in South Shroud, Costa (I prefer Wineport for date nights myself :p), and the Bismark and Aftcastle fairly often.

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Hilde - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 01:29 AM)Zhavi Wrote: But if you want my unsolicited advice, don't come to the community asking someone, anyone to make it a reality.  Build it.  Nothing is stopping you, man.  Sky is the limit.

Just be prepared for the long haul.
It might be a hard pill to swallow, but many players already have their agendas and story lines, and building a hub might not be ideal for their time. It's a nice thought, but you cant force people to play elsewhere, especially when many players already have places they frequent outside of Ul'dah. If your own experiences feel lacking because of this, talk with the other player and move your interactions elsewhere. 

If you want a new hub entirely, though, like Zhavi said - be prepared for the long haul if you work to establish that.

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Arashin Kujqai - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 01:29 AM)Zhavi Wrote: You know what's a good way to create a hub?

By consistently and reliably being somewhere.  By making sure people know you're there.  By getting a group and just grinding that shit out every.  Single.  Day.

You know how the Quicksand got so busy?  Because people were there.  Aya waitressed.  Warren and Crofte (edit - crofte, right?  aghaghagh why am I so bad at names) stood at their pillars.  For awhile the brass blade peeps were rping their thang, and they'd swing through.  People were actively rping in Ul'dah, and they consistently stopped into the Quicksand.  Their contacts would come in to rp with them.  Word spread, and people came to expect that there would be rp in the Quicksand, and so it became a self-fulfilling prophesy.

You want a hub elsewhere?  Do the same thing.  Even when it feels dry and stale, even if you don't feel like it, you gotta have people there on the reg.  It also helps if it's a place where lower level characters can get to without having to travel a huge distance, but hey, depends on what you wanna build and where.

But if you want my unsolicited advice, don't come to the community asking someone, anyone to make it a reality.  Build it.  Nothing is stopping you, man.  Sky is the limit.

Do you think it's possible for 1 person though?... Kinda takes at least 2 to tango or RP so to speak XD. This sorta thing is definitely not an easy job, though I wasn't so much as asking for someone/anyone to do this for me either. This was more-so to ask where else people would like to see a hub form, for whatever purpose, for specific groups, or just to see another form of the quicksand spread elsewhere. Building it will take time and I can definitely do it, I already started by hanging in the thaumaturge guild often but again, it takes more than one I feel for this.

Overall, I agree with you entirely, it's just something I felt could be helped via knowing what the rest of the RP community would like to see and where too. Better odds of it happening/building if it's more than just me ya know? lol(I'm starting to feel like Raijin from FF8... ya know? LOL)
(05-26-2017, 01:35 AM)Virella Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 01:17 AM)Valic Wrote: It'd be harder for some to just casually meet and hang around. Props to you if you can keep it a constant thing though, even in Ala Mhigo
Yeah, I get people being 'locked out'. I totally get that. But if I can get a handful of people enjoying that type of RP? I'm happy with that already, really. Doesn't need to be some huge ass hub to be successful.

Hells, one of my best RP times was from me constantly being in Coerthas Central Highlanders pre-HW. The Observatorium also wasn't considered a noob friendly place, but eh, the Ishgardians and folk interested in RPing with Ishgardians would find a way to get there. I'm pretty sure it will be the same in SB. So I'm not too stressed about it.

And all we did? Just RP there in the open, and people will come sooner or later. (that said I did notify people in several LSes about it, but that was about it.)
Fair enough, it's like Zhavi said, just has to be a constant to actually develop as a hub. I'd just love to get something started that'll be lasting rather than an occasional thing.

(05-26-2017, 10:04 AM)Hilde Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 01:29 AM)Zhavi Wrote: But if you want my unsolicited advice, don't come to the community asking someone, anyone to make it a reality. Build it. Nothing is stopping you, man. Sky is the limit.

It might be a hard pill to swallow, but many players already have their agendas and story lines, and building a hub might not be ideal for their time. It's a nice thought, but you cant force people to play elsewhere, especially when many players already have places they frequent outside of Ul'dah. If your own experiences feel lacking because of this, talk with the other player and move your interactions elsewhere.

If you want a new hub entirely, though, like Zhavi said - be prepared for the long haul if you work to establish that.

Of course, and no one can be expected to force themselves anywhere either. However I know Ul'dah isn't just "a setting" anymore, some even new players (myself included when I transferred) just went there because that's just the place to go supposedly. It's kinda similar to how people RP on other servers but at some point they want a bunch of RP available to them rather than the little bit that even exist, so they end up moving to Balmung(though not now of course considering the server lock).

I'm not really asking people specifically "STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND COME OVER HERE", especially for those who already know how to branch out even if they start in quicksand and somehow end up in sea of clouds. No, what I mean to accomplish is just to develop a new train of thought other than "Eh, Ul'dah has RP, guess I'll head there". Definitely gonna need time but, well... my reply to her I feel applies here as well. There's definitely people besides myself who wouldn't mind another place they can just show up at, at any time and see at least a lil RP too. So I'm sure it can happen, it just is gonna need dedication and interest is all.... Besides just myself I mean >~>;

You, and anyone who wants to help with this, would need to commit to being there every evening during prime time hours for quite some time. I think this is the thing that most people don't realize going in. You must contribute a goodly portion of your play time and stick with it for months to maybe get things to change. This is definitely not a "don't do it" post; it's a "just be aware" post. I have to do this with both Pop up RP and the Pizzeria.

(and you are welcome to help at Pop up RP. xDDD )

(05-26-2017, 10:42 AM)ExAtomos Wrote: You, and anyone who wants to help with this, would need to commit to being there every evening during prime time hours for quite some time. I think this is the thing that most people don't realize going in. You must contribute a goodly portion of your play time and stick with it for months to maybe get things to change. This is definitely not a "don't do it" post; it's a "just be aware" post. I have to do this with both Pop up RP and the Pizzeria.

(and you are welcome to help at Pop up RP. xDDD )

Idk why but this came to mind when I read the middle of your post lol.

Show Content

Wish I had the clip instead but yeah lol. The matter now is where would be a nice location to divert RP to for any such purpose. Specific or nonspecific, it'd also be nice to see where others are interested in seeing it besides QS as a "main hub" so to speak.

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Cato - 05-26-2017

There's a lot of neat places that are often overlooked throughout Eorzea, I feel. There's a nice little 'tavern' in Wineport complete with seating. I have Graeham head there now and then to purchase and sample wine. It'd be great if more people got into the habit of doing just that.

I also recall there being a small tavern in Vesper Bay - it's not very big, but it'd be a great place for people to meet. Ideally for something other than just drinking/talking. I always set my character up for being willing to head out and tackle a mercenary contract with a fellow adventurer or two but...so few people actually seem to want to get out into the wider game world - unless it's for the sake of a pre-planned event.

It can also be rather hit and miss. Even if somebody does show up, their style of RP may not be compatible with one's own. I imagine that plays into why there isn't more open world RP.

Back on the server I played on in WoW it wasn't unusual for a zone to be bustling with activity if it became relevant to a canon plot point. I was hoping that the same would occur during the lead up to 4.0 due to the rising tensions with Garlemald, yet for the most part the area surrounding Baelsar's Wall is very quiet; even when it comes to more military leaning characters/FC's.

I'm hoping that 4.0 will provide a bunch of places well suited to combat initiatives and more easy going RP in the form of taverns and the like. Perhaps Kugane, unlike Ishgard, will actually have seating? One can hope!

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Berrod Armstrong - 05-26-2017

People tend to group up and go make their own open world RP. A hub is...nice, but honestly, the culture of the server seems to lend more to finding your circle, and then finding all the RP you want within that circle -- and the other circles that intersect it. If one does not yet HAVE a circle, then the largest hub is the Quicksand. Outside of the Quicksand, there are several temporary, repeated hubs that come in the form of different weekly or monthly events (Grindstone and other fight clubs, social events hosted by various FCs, as well as the pop up RP initiatives -- among other things!). 

Balmung seems to have gone beyond the custom of traditional/conventional hubs. That, and with social media more prevalent than ever, a lot of people take to those platforms to make their contacts and find groups that are right for them. Those options tend to be more fruitful than the hope of cultivating a new hub after hours and hours of presence and effort that not everyone may have the time for. If someone someday decides to do it, great! That would be super awesome -- but so far it looks like the alternatives have been winning out.

(05-26-2017, 10:56 AM)Valic Wrote: Idk why but this came to mind when I read the middle of your post lol.

Show Content

Wish I had the clip instead but yeah lol. The matter now is where would be a nice location to divert RP to for any such purpose. Specific or nonspecific, it'd also be nice to see where others are interested in seeing it besides QS as a "main hub" so to speak.

I would suggest either the Aftcastle or Carline Canopy as more probable than any open world location. From what I've heard, RP /has/ picked up at the Aftcastle, Gridania is lagging behind.

Pop up RP is a monthly event that in essence creates an RP hub in the open world for an evening. We've used places such as Wineport, the Coffer & Coffin, Fallgourd Float, and Tailfeather and we get a pretty good turn out. Except at our February event (and our upcoming beach party), PuRP is nothing more than "come and hang out" BYORP, just like pick-up RP you'd find at the Quicksand.

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Kilieit - 05-26-2017

In all honesty, I see RP regularly whenever passing through the Drowning Wench or the Carline Canopy during East Coast prime time hours. (I've been doing a lot of MSQ lately, oops.) I think capitalising on the existing presence and making an effort to yourself be there, to include walk-ups, and make it so people are more likely to say "yeah, I'll come back next time I'm free" to themselves, would be a very worthwhile endeavour.

I consider the Drowning Wench my "hangout", but I haven't been there in a while long because I've been too shy. :'I Need to pester my friends and get me a wingman to lurk with.

(05-26-2017, 11:08 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: People tend to group up and go make their own open world RP. A hub is...nice, but honestly, the culture of the server seems to lend more to finding your circle, and then finding all the RP you want within that circle -- and the other circles that intersect it. If one does not yet HAVE a circle, then the largest hub is the Quicksand. Outside of the Quicksand, there are several temporary, repeated hubs that come in the form of different weekly or monthly events (Grindstone and other fight clubs, social events hosted by various FCs, as well as the pop up RP initiatives -- among other things!). 

Balmung seems to have gone beyond the custom of traditional/conventional hubs. That, and with social media more prevalent than ever, a lot of people take to those platforms to make their contacts and find groups that are right for them. Those options tend to be more fruitful than the hope of cultivating a new hub after hours and hours of presence and effort that not everyone may have the time for. If someone someday decides to do it, great! That would be super awesome -- but so far it looks like the alternatives have been winning out.
If anything, I'd love to spread it out enough to where people can just walk along roads and find groups/RP every so often in their travels. Something that kinda helps the world feel a bit more alive. I may just end up doing an event to call out specific types of characters to meet in a spot and try to keep it ever present. Just broadening the "circle of none" or making a 2nd one would be my goal here.. or create known circles that are open to general areas of RP discussions.
(05-26-2017, 11:14 AM)ExAtomos Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 10:56 AM)Valic Wrote: Idk why but this came to mind when I read the middle of your post lol.

Show Content

I would suggest either the Aftcastle or Carline Canopy as more probable than any open world location. From what I've heard, RP /has/ picked up at the Aftcastle, Gridania is lagging behind.

Pop up RP is a monthly event that in essence creates an RP hub in the open world for an evening. We've used places such as Wineport, the Coffer & Coffin, Fallgourd Float, and Tailfeather and we get a pretty good turn out. Except at our February event (and our upcoming beach party), PuRP is nothing more than "come and hang out" BYORP, just like pick-up RP you'd find at the Quicksand.
The last one sounds more akin to my goal here lol. I'll have to check out Aftcastle more often when I get back in game.

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Aya - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 01:29 AM)Zhavi Wrote: You know how the Quicksand got so busy?  Because people were there.  Aya waitressed.  Warren and Crofte stood at their pillars.

♥ Zhavi! ♥

I actually don't feel like Balmung has only one "hub" and that hub is around the Quick Sand. There was a time that was true. When you could sit in Gridania all day and never observe any RP occurring in public.

There is simply so much RP these days that you can find in anywhere if you're looking. There are also settings all over the world, and an unbelievable variety created by player housing.

Its the last part I think that is actually the greatest obstacle to creating another outer-world hub as busy as Ul'dah. People like having control over their RP environment and housing allows that. So instead of having dozens of RPers crowding the area around the Wench in Limsa, they're more likely gathered around a more dispersed group of locations in player housing areas.

Nonetheless, what Zhavi's said is true. What creates hubs is the expectation that if you go to a place there will be RP there. That only takes player effort to create.

On the idea of "road" based RP. Walking RP is sadly very difficult to do in this game. Some sort of auto-group walk feature would be really handy for that.

(05-26-2017, 12:22 PM)Aya Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 01:29 AM)Zhavi Wrote: You know how the Quicksand got so busy?  Because people were there.  Aya waitressed.  Warren and Crofte stood at their pillars.

♥ Zhavi! ♥

I actually don't feel like Balmung has only one "hub" and that hub is around the Quick Sand.  There was a time that was true.  When you could sit in Gridania all day and never observe any RP occurring in public.

There is simply so much RP these days that you can find in anywhere if you're looking.  There are also settings all over the world, and an unbelievable variety created by player housing.

Its the last part I think that is actually the greatest obstacle to creating another outer-world hub as busy as Ul'dah.  People like having control over their RP environment and housing allows that.  So instead of having dozens of RPers crowding the area around the Wench in Limsa, they're more likely gathered around a more dispersed group of locations in player housing areas.

Nonetheless, what Zhavi's said is true.  What creates hubs is the expectation that if you go to a place there will be RP there.  That only takes player effort to create.

On the idea of "road" based RP.  Walking RP is sadly very difficult to do in this game.  Some sort of auto-group walk feature would be really handy for that.
I wasn't saying actual walking RP XD meant how you can walk down say a path in thanalan or down the main path of Ul'dah and on your right you'll see a group of armored adventurers talking, then a lil further on your left you'll see a group of scholars talking, then go a lil further into another area you'll see a group of randoms just conversing. Rather than it all being so condensed around a huge population around the quicksand.

As for auto walking RP though... (not that I meant that as a subject >~>) I've done it a couple times, either someone follows to lead the way somewhere or I'll just auto walk along side them but ping varies so sometimes I slow down lmao. It's weird XD

Also I know Zavhi's right, I think 3 people have emphasized that post now XD The real issue is group interest, I can't be the only one who'd like to make something like this happen/work. I'd just like to know what else people would love to see it at or make as more of a hub.

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Kailani - 05-26-2017

(05-26-2017, 11:42 AM)Valic Wrote: If anything, I'd love to spread it out enough to where people can just walk along roads and find groups/RP every so often in their travels. Something that kinda helps the world feel a bit more alive.

I do share in your desire to see bigger crowds spaced out throughout Eorzea sometimes. But as some have said in other threads, a lot of people don't like those big groups because chat spam and emotes get too crazy to follow. But there is plenty of smaller RP going on.

I've been grinding out an alt for the last month or so to finish her before SB and I see RP everywhere in the world. This includes zones level 20-50+ now and it's been really entertaining.

It may not be a huge group of 30+ people, but I see small groups in many of the quest hubs and even sitting out by some lakes fishing, chatting in /say with public emotes. So RP is absolutely out in the middle of the world. The Quicksand is self run basically, and every level player can reach it just about so it'll always be popular.

My suggestion would be to wait for SB to worry about it much. At that point, so many people will be out of the "usual spots" and in the new world. At that time, I can only suggest you find some new place that you think would be an amazing new RP hub, and maybe start dedicating your time to be there and also advertise something for it. If it's a bar or tavern, you can probably find some folks to help out with bartending and serving at least until it gets off the ground. Thumbsup

It's really the only way something new will pop up as others have said. It takes time and effort to establish anything that'll last long term.

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Momo - 05-26-2017

One of the bigger problems with this whole scenario, is that Balmung RP is often less about creativity, and more about getting easy RP while being creative inside the box that ease provides. It is the reason a place like the QS thrives, while the entire world is open for RP to a great degree, but not many strike out to find it or create it in any lasting way. Essentially, the Balmung RP community has many "active adventurers" and often very little actual adventuring.

That being said, personally bar RP gets boring for me after a while, but I can always meet RPers at the other main hubs like The Carline Canopy or The Drowning Wench. Also for further further BaRP, a majority of events at FC houses or set up in locations, are one of the following: fight club/tournament, bar, live performance, and with a smattering of other minor themes that pull from those. The biggest way I have seen to counteract this? Have an FC leader and an FC theme which supports group plots and activities that are only furthered in the outside world.

I guess this may be one of those "be the change you want to see" which is always going to sound hypocritical and a little condescending, but truly the best way to combat this is gather a group interested in active RP outside of a bar. Get together at least a few plot builders too, you will want others to help fill in gaps in activity over time, and help with ideas, then start hard advertisement here and on other social media platforms. A good solid theme is always going attract more people, and some standout members who are good RPers, not showy or dramatic, always will help make a foundation.

I hope that this helps or reassures you that there are those out there who agree and support these sorts of ideas!

RE: [Balmung]Can we get more "RP hubs"? - Erah'sae - 05-29-2017

It's kind of like out in the real world though, if you think about it.  There are always 'events' and what not to go to, but the big places to meet new folks outside of 'events' tends to be the taverns/bars/clubs.  Outside of events, that (and the internet) tends to be where you get introduced to other social circles and find other things to do and make new friends at.  Also like in the real world, a lot of people are timid about approaching other people.  We've, as a people, kind of social engineered ourselves into a corner with that, but that's a soapbox I don't need to get on.

I do really love the concept of a living, breathing, world, but without some incentive, it's hard to create a need to just be between places.  This is especially true with the mechanics of FFXIV where we just teleport everywhere.  The only ways to really counteract stuff like this is to grab a friend, and go out in the world, RP tag on, and vocally RP.  Not just with each other, but RP at other people.  (The friend is important, you need someone to RP off of when other's aren't biting.)

You'll probably be surprised at who responds instead of just running off.

Nefzen and I had a lot of luck with this on our alts.  We -walked- everywhere, and RP'd at just about anyone who crossed our paths.  We asked players about where quest mobs we were looking for, or what was over that next hill.  We feigned ignorance about most of what we, as players, knew of the game world to give people something to do/contribute when interacting with us.  It was a lot of fun seeing everyone who'd drop their quest grinding to talk to us about trivial things like "where the best place to find limestone deposits" were.