Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] How would you retire your character - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] How would you retire your character (/showthread.php?tid=19685)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How would you retire your character - Lan Darklyn - 06-14-2017

The only one of my characters I have ever given serious thought to retiring is Lan.

1. If I retire him but want to leave the chance that he may one day come back as a playable character I'll just have him step away from the direct action and maybe open up a school to teach tactics and strategy.

2. If I am totally done with Lan I will likely have him go out with a bang, hopefully surrounded by many bodies of Garleans that he has brutally killed as he fights to his last breath. Or maybe, he will blow up a Garlean base and let himself be consumed in the blast.

RE: How would you retire your character - Gen Quickpaw - 06-14-2017

Gen is an father of.. ten-ish, little ones. If he retires it's because he wants to train and raise them properly

RE: How would you retire your character - Kazukata - 06-21-2017

Kazu's probably going to be adventuring until he's too old to safely pick up a glaive, which leaves his two options as death or retirement. I don't have any specific plans to give him an untimely demiwe, but it's not like it's out of the question in his line of work. If he makes it to retirement, though, I see him becoming a storyteller and chronicler of fables that's always foisting unsolicited advice to young adventurers. That's the clearest image I have for him, so I suppose it's also the most likely.

RE: How would you retire your character - Varinh - 06-21-2017

Given how incredibly, stupidly reckless Perth responds to dangerous situations, it's really a wonder she hasn't died at all yet. In fact, in the last three instances in which made the most sense for her to die, the only reason she didn't was due to friends clawing her out of her self-inflicted messes. With that in mind, also weighing in the fact that she's terribly dramatic and thinks she needs to do everything herself (something that drives those close to her up a wall)...

She'll likeliest get herself killed trying to bite off more than she can chew. Maybe she thinks she's doing a friend a favour by confronting the man blackmailing them alone, only to have made her plans a bit too obvious and walk right in to a swift death. Or she finds more trouble on her own accord and can't be arsed to ask for help with it, only to find herself entirely overwhelmed. Or...

Her bad decisions catch up to her. The secret organisation she feigns her death to lose the trail of finds her, and snuffs her out before anyone can blink twice. Or she killed the wrong kid, perhaps with ties to the influential and once they caught wind of her name or alias, decided to avenge their lost one.

Death is never really expected in real life, unless someone's lying in their hospital bed and no progress is in sight. I'd like to think roleplay to be realistic is no different, and once a character has enough emotional sway on the characters around them, an abrupt and painful death can be great writing material for others. (I think the convenience of dying in front of an audience is rather trite, however. Why doesn't anyone ever fall off the edge of the earth for friends to piece together their fate? :la) And if a happy ending was in sight...

Perth swallows her bitterness and settles down, marrying and having a family. She'd normally emit a sarcastic laugh at the suggestion, but it is an option that's been presented to her enough times, and definitely a possibility. Time will tell.

RE: How would you retire your character - Kallera - 06-22-2017

(06-21-2017, 03:24 AM)Perth Wrote: Given how incredibly, stupidly reckless Perth responds to dangerous situations, it's really a wonder she hasn't died at all yet. In fact, in the last three instances in which made the most sense for her to die, the only reason she didn't was due to friends clawing her out of her self-inflicted messes. With that in mind, also weighing in the fact that she's terribly dramatic and thinks she needs to do everything herself (something that drives those close to her up a wall)...

She'll likeliest get herself killed trying to bite off more than she can chew. Maybe she thinks she's doing a friend a favour by confronting the man blackmailing them alone, only to have made her plans a bit too obvious and walk right in to a swift death. Or she finds more trouble on her own accord and can't be arsed to ask for help with it, only to find herself entirely overwhelmed. Or...

Her bad decisions catch up to her. The secret organisation she feigns her death to lose the trail of finds her, and snuffs her out before anyone can blink twice. Or she killed the wrong kid, perhaps with ties to the influential and once they caught wind of her name or alias, decided to avenge their lost one.

Death is never really expected in real life, unless someone's lying in their hospital bed and no progress is in sight. I'd like to think roleplay to be realistic is no different, and once a character has enough emotional sway on the characters around them, an abrupt and painful death can be great writing material for others. (I think the convenience of dying in front of an audience is rather trite, however. Why doesn't anyone ever get fall off the edge of the earth for friends to piece together their fate? :la) And if a happy ending was in sight...

Perth swallows her bitterness and settles down, marrying and having a family. She'd normally emit a sarcastic laugh at the suggestion, but it is an option that's been presented to her enough times, and definitely a possibility. Time will tell.

I figure the constant conflicts that involves a character has to at some point come to a head, myself. Inner demons are definitely something Kallera will have to face one day, and not merely because of being a dark knight.

RE: How would you retire your character - SapphireSkylines - 06-23-2017

If Zhara retires on a good note she probably would work in the Eorzean music industry for the rest of her life, managing bards. If she's single she might adopt a daughter along the way and just live out her life. If things go to plan with her and Chachan or some other guy (or girl), she'd probably settle down, have kids, and raise them. 

If Zhara were to die tragically... well I think it'd be very similar to this: 

[youtube]BXpHjP6rJqg[/youtube]

One of the many inspirations for Zhara is Selena with her dancing, style of music, and even costumes. So sadly I could see Zhara either being assassinated on stage or killed somewhere off stage by a crazy fan.

RE: How would you retire your character - Valentine - 06-24-2017

Normally, I'd see Sara most likely pass during combat in hopefully a rather heroic way to where she's protected those she cares for and allows them to live, as Sara lives for heroics and helping others.

Buuuuut, to get away from just killing her off, whenever Sara would finally lay down her sword for good, she'd most likely focus on learning to write and read as best as possible, and then would start to write fiction novels. Heroic, clichè, cheesy fiction with the protagonist managing to always come on top and save most likely the world with their allies. She'd of course, exaggerate her own past conflicts to write in these stories, but I think it'd be nice for her to be able to just enjoy a peaceful life and living her heroics through her writing for when she's unable to still fight. Probably living alone, but close to her pretend sister. She'd be happy nonetheless.

RE: How would you retire your character - Tataraji - 06-26-2017

Haven't really thought of this, especially since I JUST started Sigmund as a character, but I have retired two characters before and they were rather somber. My first long-term character was retired by dying, being a rather old man and was pushed off of a ledge into a bay. He bled out. The more recent (and relevant!) character, Tataraji, that I am named after is currently jailed, having his past catch up to him and his schemes land him in the big house. Of course this doesn't have to be a permanent retirement, but I made it one since I fantasia'd him. 

Hopefully Sigmund will be retired by settling down and having a family, as the general theme of this thread has been, but I doubt that's how it'll turn out, since I usually retire due to other player's IC actions.

RE: How would you retire your character - Arashin Kujqai - 06-27-2017

I had my character sort've retire once from working under the Maelstrom. Just due to not being content with the conditions of being ordered around specifically and feeling he reached the potential of knowledge he could gain from working in a military service to further his magical expertise and physical skills. However he's not done aiding in conflicts or just living out his life, if anything, I could only see him retiring through a death or sacrifice through means like his father/mother gave on using too much aether for the greater good for someone else. Id' want the cheesy heroic noble death cuz I love cheese. Cactuar

RE: How would you retire your character - C'kayah Polaali - 06-29-2017

Setoh has retired with his mate to a little house in La Noscea. They're living off their ill-gotten gains, and raising a newborn daughter. Setoh has been practicing what he'll say to any boys who want to date her when she's older.

C'kayah tried retirement and found it ill-suited him. He got bored and jumped back into the game.

Lorin (my newest main) is a Sharlayan maker and refugee from their outpost in Dravania. He's currently living in Limsa, making oddball things that he sells out of a little shop, and probably will never retire.

RE: How would you retire your character - SicketySix - 06-29-2017

Most of my characters die before they could retire.
So my answer is, death.