Hydaelyn Role-Players
Very new and very confused but hi anyway - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Very new and very confused but hi anyway (/showthread.php?tid=19870)

Very new and very confused but hi anyway - honibearhime - 06-26-2017

Hello, I'm pretty new to FF14 (as of now I've only been playing for 1 month) but I really enjoy it and I'm curious about the RP scene. It says my main server is Zalera, which is true because thats where I do more gameplay focused stuff with my friends. I'm thinking of creating an alt on Mateus but I'm wondering since I will be so low level is it worth it?

Anyway onto about me (sorry this is so long)
MMORPG background: Guild Wars 2 for a while and actually FF14 when 2.0 first came out (back then I was on Balmung but I didn't have friends to play with or time)
RP experience: I've been rping for a few years now but only chatroom versions so doing in game stuff will be different for me
Character ideas/info: So far I have 2 characters with fleshed out personalities (a curiosity driven adventurer and a bookish arcana prodigy) on Zalera but I have my possible Mateus alt mostly figured out too (annoyed merchant turned glory seeker). 
How did you learn about the coalition?: Googled ff14 rp and this came up
What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be?: Light to medium. I would mostly like to be medium but since is new to me I'm a bit nervous
Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing?: I'm a cosplayer studying to be an Economist

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I've read most of the new people info on the forum but I'm still a bit confused on the best way to get started

RE: Very new and very confused but hi anyway - Gegenji - 06-26-2017

Fortunately, Mateus is on the list of servers that give bonus XP if you create a character on them! Given how excited I've been seeing some people regarding it, I would assume it's not an unsubstantial amount. I'm actually planning to make my own alt over there sometime this week to see for myself, but if it's true... level shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thumbsup

... Plus, for RP, level isn't quite as important - except for location and clothing options.

RE: Very new and very confused but hi anyway - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-26-2017

Hiya there and welcome to the RPC!

Speaking from experience, your character level really does not impact your RP viability, unless you're trying to enter a gated city/location. (Stick to 2.X accessible areas and you can walk/teleport anywhere by about level 15.)

Besides that, higher levels pretty much just mean more gear options. Once at 15 though, you do have access to unlock the Gold Saucer and you can get dyes, which means a lot of glamor choices. It's definitely something to consider if you're looking for a particular look. A lot of models are reused in later dungeons, so even if it's a hempen robe, it'll look a lot like the others.

RE: Very new and very confused but hi anyway - Thunderbolt300 - 06-27-2017

Hey there, and welcome aboard the RPC and to FFXIV! Thumbsup

Mateus is really the best option at the moment as far as access to RP is concerned. MMO RP is pretty cool as it's a persistent-world that is always in motion with stories always being written, so there's a whole lot out there to get into. Regardless, best of luck on the hunt wherever you go!