Hydaelyn Role-Players
Greetings, Salutations and Hello! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Greetings, Salutations and Hello! (/showthread.php?tid=19884)

Greetings, Salutations and Hello! - SpookyBoogieTM - 06-27-2017

Nice to meet you all, I am Spooky, or Red, as most people call me for reasons you will come to know if we become friends!

I have a long history of RP experience, dating back to around 8~9 years. I have always loved fantasy and I am sad that I was only recently introduced to this game. Most of my RP experience came through forums, but I have also spent the last 3 years or so RPing in WoW, which I am currently taking a break from. I am typically comfortable writing any types of scenes, from darker themes to slices of life, but I am currently interested in taking a character and building up an extremely long-term set of stories and relationships with them, something I never quite managed to do in WoW!

Right now, I am looking to be a rather heavy roleplayer. I had the lore of the game rather briefly explained and I have been learning bit by bit as I go on, and I am very interested in getting rather in-depth! My current character is a doctor-ish type character as a baseline.

Other than that, I am a Corpsman in the U.S. Navy, currently stationed in Japan, pretty much just your typical nerd otherwise.

A few questions I have: Where do RP'ers usually hang out in game? How active is the RP community usually? Are there any tips or pieces of advice anybody has to make finding long-term partners easier, or just tips in general?

RE: Greetings, Salutations and Hello! - Greenley - 06-27-2017

I can see you're on Mateus so I'm sure you'll find all the help you need, as people here are overall very enthused to absorb newcomers into collective whole. I mean that in a good way, mind. 

Mateus has recently had a surge of incoming new people and transfers from other servers due to bonuses we were given, an act of SE trying to even out server populations on the high pop places like Balmung. It's a great time to join because any new characters you roll will be getting those bonuses and leveling will be a breeze. My advice is try to get your crafting up ASAP as well as your job classes while aforementioned bonuses are in place.

There's been RP on this server for some time, but since it's only recently grown this much, we're still finding our footing in some ways. Lately you can find people RPing at Quicksands (a location in Ul'dah) in the mid-day and evening hours pretty regularly, though you'll have those sticks in the mud who insist to stay away from there because it's full of degenerates, public orgies, yadda yadda. Hyperbole if you ask me, but I digress. 

The RP scene of private taverns (those in the housing district), RP FCs, RP LSs, and server events is very and increasingly active. Coordination could be a little better here as compared to our sister server Balmung, but it's being worked on and looks incredibly promising. I have nothing but praise for the efforts thus far. 

Some of the issues you'll encounter here are a vocal minority of RPers that hate both Balmung transfers and even those who have gotten the game recently but started on Mateus because they're feeling territorial for X, Y, Z reason. Tell them to stfu or ignore them, whichever suits you best. 

As to making connections, it's pretty easy if you put the legwork in. There's a Making Connections sub here I've used with success, and Mateus has its own Mateus Hub discord open to all RPers with channels including one for that, one for server events, among others. The majority of our organization on all fronts seems to occur on there. 

Hope you like it here!

RE: Greetings, Salutations and Hello! - Thunderbolt300 - 06-27-2017

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC and to FFXIV! Thumbsup

I can't say much being as how I'm on Balmung, which is currently locked- so there's not any point in telling you much about what's going on over here right now. That being said though, Mateus is a good option all the same! I'm sure they're just as passionate as Balmung folks are. Regardless, feel free to leverage the Making Connections forum here on the RPC- this is a fantastic means to hit the ground running, especially so if you have a good idea of what kind of niche you'd like to chase after and you've given some thought to your character too. 

Regardless, best of luck!