Hydaelyn Role-Players
How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. (/showthread.php?tid=19917)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Mother - 06-29-2017

My character's name is Tamamo-no Mae, if only because I couldn't make it proper. I don't understand. I've had this name since the VERY DAY dashes in names dropped. It was fine then, and Doman RP LS's tell me its still fine. So, how is this a problem? She's referred to as Tamamo-no-Mae as her merchant name. Nothing about Tamamo existed before stormblood and now im called out for ripping it form her. I made her form Fate extra wtf.

To add to this, its just her display name. Her Merchant name is Tamamo-no-Mae, her actual name is just Tamamo, no family na/r in the thrme.

>> ???: ;w;
??? >> what
>> ???: and my name is too canon
>> ???: ;_;
>> ???: ;w;
??? >> it isn't XD
>> ???: yeah it is.
>> ???: Tamamo Mae
>> ???: ._.
>> ???: Shes an Auri ._.
??? >> Nupe :<
>> ???: how
>> ???: literally how
>> ???: Frankly, the name is japanese
>> ???: ._. So being told its not is pissing me off
>> ???: Hell theres even an Au Ra NPV with the name now
>> ???: and you wanna keep bullshitting me and telling me its not?
>> ???: ._. cant even tell me
??? >> I'm playing D&D, chill your butt D:
>> ???: amamo-no-Mae (玉藻前, 玉藻の前, also 玉藻御前
??? >> It's not because it's the name of a spirit not a normal name >~>;
>> ???: Tamamo is a normal name.
>> ???: If she goes by Tamamo, who cares.
>> ???: Its a display name because I wanted it.
>> ???: Tamamo also means seaweed so
>> ???: and it IS a name
>> ???: or well duckweed
>> ???: “Lady Duckweed”
>> ???: whatever!
>> ???: Her name is Tamamo! D:
>> ???: ;-;
??? >> Well Tamamo is but even then :S
>> ???: But even then what
>> ???: Its not lore breaking
>> ???: Its a Japanese given name
??? >> the -no Mae isn't :<
>> ???: who
>> ???: gives
>> ???: a
>> ???: shit
>> ???: its the display name
>> ???: her RP name is JUST Tamamo
>> ???: Display name =/= Character Name
>> ???: and its still japanese either way
>> ???: not lore breaking
>> ???: What logic are you using here
>> ???: Tamamo, reffered to as Tamamo-no-Mae in title, is an Au Ra Raen raised under the Ruby Sea. She can be found wandering Kuganem having become a merchant and healer in her time above the sea.
>> Mint Kagami: You'd do me?! <3
>> Mint Kagami: Anytime sweetie <3
??? >> ..Exactly. Yes. She's...special.
>> ???: ut
>> ???: wut
>> ???: im in RP ls's
>> ???: asking if my name isnt lore abiding
>> ???: im being told it is
??? >> It's literally the name of a goddess =_=;
>> ???: Not in FFXIV?
>> ???: Wut
>> ???: And i had the name before SB
>> ???: and Tama isnt a goddess
??? >> Fox Spirit, w/e :S
>> ???: ._. shes said to be a demon if anything wut
>> ???: My point still remains
>> ???: she wasnt before
>> ???: i existed before SB
>> ???: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=19917
>> ???: Lol ill ask them
>> ???: since Doman RP ls's are telling me otherwise ???.
>> ???: imma drop the chat log in
??? >> >~>?
>> ???: in the thread i made
>> ???: you are THE ONLY PERSON that thinks this when i talk about it lol

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-29-2017

I feel like I'm missing some text here.

Is this character Doman? A Raen Au Ra?

Does it even really matter that much if your character's name is abiding or not? (For the most part, I've never seen someone take issue unless a person was trying to seriously say their name was like Giggly McGiggles or something.)

Now, there are some conditions for Doman names, as they are based on a more archaic form of Japanese. Modern kanji/names aren't really used there. But if the name could have existed in the Heian or Edo periods, you're more than likely fine.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Mother - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 12:10 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: I feel like I'm missing some text here.

Is this character Doman? A Raen Au Ra?

Does it even really matter that much if your character's name is abiding or not? (For the most part, I've never seen someone take issue unless a person was trying to seriously say their name was like Giggly McGiggles or something.)

Now, there are some conditions for Doman names, as they are based on a more archaic form of Japanese. Modern kanji/names aren't really used there. But if the name could have existed in the Heian or Edo periods, you're more than likely fine.

Its a Doman Xaela (atm), until I get a potion going. Currently her display name is "Tamamo-no Mae" since I can't use an extra dash. Keep in mind I've had this name since the day Dashe sin your name dropped. I'd been planning it for awhile. Judging by wikipedia her name is from the Muromachi (Ashikaga) period. Some 200 years before edo, but I would assume the same.

I also added the context conversation.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-29-2017

Xaela are apparently Turkish-derived, but plenty of people are given names from outside their home culture in the real world and it's not any issue. That aside, if you're intending to fantasia her into a Raen, the name seems fine to me as far as a Japanese-inspired name. I couldn't say if it's similar to an NPC or not, but if it is, so what. Nobody in real life has the same name, ever, right? As long as your character isn't an attempt to mimic said NPC (which from what you said, she isn't), that doesn't seem problematic at all.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Kilieit - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 01:54 AM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: Xaela are apparently Turkish-derived

15th century Mongolian. Slightly different part of the world, haha!

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 01:59 AM)Kilieit Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 01:54 AM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: Xaela are apparently Turkish-derived

So we had thought pre-release, but the pronunciation of "khan" (and other words) and the use of the term "yurt" (Turkish) vs the term "ger" (Mongolian) for their tents tells the tale. Big Grin

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Kilieit - 06-29-2017

I think that's more to do with voice directors maybe not getting memos properly. What we can do is look at the official race naming conventions thread, which puts it in very plain terms (emphasis mine):

Quote:The second clan—the Xaela—take theirs from Mongolian.
[...]
As was mentioned earlier, Xaela names are based on Mongolian names/words used in the 15th century (give or take a few centuries). Lists of ancient Mongolian names can also be found on the Internet for those not versed in ancient Mongolian history (I’m guessing that’s a lot).
[...]
The following is a list of the clan names and a quick blurb describing the clan. The words used in tribe names are, for the most part, original words based loosely on 15th to 17th century Mongolian spellings.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-29-2017

Honestly OP, I think you're fine. Perhaps it just means the person you were disagreeing with is not a viable RP contact.

Some people do get worked up about seeing "imported names" from other characters/stories/etc, so I can understand if they're getting caught up on that. But at the same time, why not let them do their things and you do your thing? I don't see many people who are really gonna try to pull out a kanji dictionary and fact-check a name. That time is way better spent waiting in the balmung queue playing and enjoying the game.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Nebbs - 06-29-2017

Unless I am missing something, like the name is offensive or somehow a snowflake name then this sounds more like that person complaining is yanking your chain. If it works for you and your concept thank them for their feedback and move on.

I do admit to having a personal gripe against using a different character name to your nameplate, only because it is confusing and requires others to keep a note of the IC name (ah if only the game had that feature).  You could put the IC name in your search text.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Mother - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 01:54 AM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: Xaela are apparently Turkish-derived, but plenty of people are given names from outside their home culture in the real world and it's not any issue. That aside, if you're intending to fantasia her into a Raen, the name seems fine to me as far as a Japanese-inspired name. I couldn't say if it's similar to an NPC or not, but if it is, so what. Nobody in real life has the same name, ever, right? As long as your character isn't an attempt to mimic said NPC (which from what you said, she isn't), that doesn't seem problematic at all.

I had this name the day Dashes were put out, and was waiting for them just for this name. I never considered for a moment that Doma would have a Tamamo.

I think someone else said that earlier today online as well.

(06-29-2017, 03:19 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Unless I am missing something, like the name is offensive or somehow a snowflake name then this sounds more like that person complaining is yanking your chain. If it works for you and your concept thank them for their feedback and move on.

I do admit to having a personal gripe against using a different character name to your nameplate, only because it is confusing and requires others to keep a note of the IC name (ah if only the game had that feature).  You could put the IC name in your search text.

I just assume people would call her Tamamo upon seeing her name was clearly supposed to be Tamamo-no-Mae instead of Tamamo-no Mae. Her name is just Tamamo, with Tamamo-no-Mae being her merchant tag of sorts. If someone was to refer to her in character, they would more than like use her title, Tamamo-no-Mae, for clarification if they knew other Tamamo's.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - SapphireSkylines - 06-29-2017

Yeah I think your name is fine. Actually, if there's a NPC in-game with the same name as you, I would think of that as a good sign, that means your name is canon and you followed the rules to the point that SE thought that was a lore abiding enough to add an NPC with that name. Was your friend the only person that was complaining or have other people complained too? Because I don't see anything wrong with it.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Oyuu - 06-29-2017

If someone is giving you a rough time and unnecessary criticism regarding lore, and will not let up when told politely it's fine or whatever, they're probably not the best roleplayer to interact with. 

Speaking even as a lore friendly roleplayer, no one should be telling you what to name your character at the end of the day. It's your choice and it ain't cheap to change. You picked a doman-sounding name for a doman character, so you didn't do bad at all. If they don't like it, they can just go on their way instead of filling you with doubt when you've already asked second or third opinions.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Kieron Lohengrin - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 03:30 AM)Mother Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 01:54 AM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: Xaela are apparently Turkish-derived, but plenty of people are given names from outside their home culture in the real world and it's not any issue. That aside, if you're intending to fantasia her into a Raen, the name seems fine to me as far as a Japanese-inspired name. I couldn't say if it's similar to an NPC or not, but if it is, so what. Nobody in real life has the same name, ever, right? As long as your character isn't an attempt to mimic said NPC (which from what you said, she isn't), that doesn't seem problematic at all.

I had this name the day Dashes were put out, and was waiting for them just for this name. I never considered for a moment that Doma would have a Tamamo.

I think someone else said that earlier today online as well.

(06-29-2017, 03:19 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Unless I am missing something, like the name is offensive or somehow a snowflake name then this sounds more like that person complaining is yanking your chain. If it works for you and your concept thank them for their feedback and move on.

I just assume people would call her Tamamo upon seeing her name was clearly supposed to be Tamamo-no-Mae instead of Tamamo-no Mae. Her name is just Tamamo, with Tamamo-no-Mae being her merchant tag of sorts. If someone was to refer to her in character, they would more than like use her title, Tamamo-no-Mae, for clarification if they knew other Tamamo's.

1. don't worry about it

2. you can write in a workaround for your character, such as her being born xaela but named and adopted/raised by raen

3. the racial naming convention thread the others linked above is pretty handy

4. being similarly named to an npc isn't the end of the world

5. had one more piece of advice but got distracted by your sad alisha is sad avatar

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Aegir - 06-29-2017

Can I call you Tomato?

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Seren - 06-29-2017

The name sounds beautiful. If you playing a straight tribe born Xaela, its a little bit of a stretch, but if RP wise she is meant to be a Raen, then I see no reason why there is any problem. Having being raised under the Ruby sea is that adorable tiny village makes her naming scheme make even more sense. Just because the Japanese name is a reference to a mythological figure you like doesn't mean that you can't use it. She isn't a goddess in this world. 

A big take away though... RP how you want to RP. No one here in this thread thinks your name is non-canon, and people are not going to shun you RP wise for it. I am sorry that your friend is being judgemental regarding your name. Someone could easily name their character Amateratsu and it be perfectly fine because... they aren't a deity in this world. However, I love the concept of a Raen from under the Ruby Sea!