Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Mateus] Ex-raider, new to roleplaying, FF superfan - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: [Mateus] Ex-raider, new to roleplaying, FF superfan (/showthread.php?tid=19962)

[Mateus] Ex-raider, new to roleplaying, FF superfan - MuzakFan - 07-02-2017

Hello and thank you for reading my post. I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the community here. I've been playing FFXIV since 1.23, raided with midcore progression groups since 2.x up to 3.4, and cleared A12S. Sadly, with my IRL job (I am a nurse), it's gotten too difficult for me to keep a consistent enough gaming schedule to raid in a group requiring weekly time commitments. So, I've decided to retire my longtime main and start with a fresh character. I made a new alt on Mateus a few days ago - with the new character bonus and the growing RP community here it's seemed like a great choice for server so far. I've been playing MMOs for years but I wanted to finally try getting into roleplaying for the first time.

I am 100% new to RP, but I have been reading several of the guides here and elsewhere on the internet and watched a few videos - thank you so much to those in the community for these excellent resources! I'm a huge huge fan of Final Fantasy and especially love the lore in XIV. I spent the last week or so making a page for my character on the wiki, which has been great fun so far as I have NEVER once tried writing anything just for my own enjoyment. My character is a Gridanian Wood Wailer and secret exile from Ishgard. I wrote his history to intwine closely with the MSQ lore around the Dragonsong War.

As far as the type of RP I'm into, honestly I don't really have a clue yet. It would be wonderful if I could play my character like a living story with developing relationships and plot lines over time, I guess sort of like a personal soap opera? I haven't even tried a session yet as I'm still making some in-game preparations, and I have not applied to a FC or linkshell. Playing MMOs like a regular non-RP'er is fun, but as I'm not planning on doing any PvE content beyond casual midgame (e.g. EX primals) anymore I am mostly looking to get a bit more out of the game by going at a leisurely pace and making friendships. Side note: my wife also plays FFXIV with me, so definitely not interested in ERP or things of that sort.

Thanks again for reading any I'd love any friendly advice you can offer.

RE: [Mateus] Ex-raider, new to roleplaying, FF superfan - Thunderbolt300 - 07-03-2017

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC! Thumbsup

The best way to hit the ground running in my experience has been to utilize the Making Connections forum here on the RPC. You can sort of "spear fish" for characters that would match up pretty well with your own, which'll give you more story potential than random RP typically provides. Still, wandering around with the RP tag on and interacting with other people who're tagged is a good way to cut your teeth too! 

Regardless, best of luck over on Mateus!

RE: [Mateus] Ex-raider, new to roleplaying, FF superfan - MuzakFan - 07-04-2017

Thank you for the tip and I will definitely give it a try. I still haven't tried random walk-ups in the world because I'm a little intimidated to just start it with strangers. I know Mateus is still relatively small so I have only seen a few snippets of RP in /say as well.

I have another question for you. Can you get into more detail about light/medium/heavy RP styles? I see a lot of that on player comments and FC descriptions. I think I'd be a medium/heavy RPer but is there more of a breakdown? I would like to

- have a character whose characteristics change over time through interactions and involvement in personal stories (my own or others) as well as MSQ events such as going to an entirely new continent
- Focus mostly on RP as I play, aside from leveling up when needed.
- Keep adherence to XIV lore closely
- play relatively involved or serious storylines with occasional comic relief

RE: [Mateus] Ex-raider, new to roleplaying, FF superfan - Dinah-mite! - 07-04-2017

Hello fellow Mateus player!!!

Welcome to the community!!! If you pop over to the player directory section there's a link to the Mateus discord server. If you have any questions about RP we'd all be more than happy to help or answer questions so far everyone over there has been real lovely!

Hope to see you in game doll!!!

<3
Dinah!

RE: [Mateus] Ex-raider, new to roleplaying, FF superfan - Thunderbolt300 - 07-04-2017

(07-04-2017, 12:43 AM)MuzakFan Wrote: Thank you for the tip and I will definitely give it a try. I still haven't tried random walk-ups in the world because I'm a little intimidated to just start it with strangers. I know Mateus is still relatively small so I have only seen a few snippets of RP in /say as well.

I have another question for you. Can you get into more detail about light/medium/heavy RP styles? I see a lot of that on player comments and FC descriptions. I think I'd be a medium/heavy RPer but is there more of a breakdown? I would like to

- have a character whose characteristics change over time through interactions and involvement in personal stories (my own or others) as well as MSQ events such as going to an entirely new continent
- Focus mostly on RP as I play, aside from leveling up when needed.
- Keep adherence to XIV lore closely
- play relatively involved or serious storylines with occasional comic relief

So the classifications between light/medium/heavy are really up for some debate on what exactly they mean. It's probably easiest to think of them in terms of where a player's priorities lie when it comes to the game itself. For example, a player who is mostly focused on game content and RP's occasionally is a light roleplayer, whereas a player who is equally focused between game content and RP's often is in the medium category. Finally, if you're a player who dabbles in content occasionally but will drop whatever they're doing to run off and RP, that's probably more in the heavy realm. Still, everyone has their own interpretation here and mine is far from the only one. 

All that to say, you sound like a medium-heavy to me! Thumbsup