Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Magic Gunner route - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: The Magic Gunner route (/showthread.php?tid=20100)

The Magic Gunner route - yhvh13 - 07-14-2017

So, I was thinking of this idea:

Roleplaying a MCH as a magic gunner. A crafty inventor that develops all sorts of ballistic trinkets, but her bread-n-butter is a magic revolver that is connected through a cable on the aetherotransformer, that is used to capture aether on the surroundings to feed the gun magic, elemental-based shots. 

Would that be too stretch-y? Yes, no?

RE: The Magic Gunner route - Gegenji - 07-14-2017

I think I've seen a few people run with that idea, especially in magic tournaments around the time MCH came out. So, I think you should be fine with that. Thumbsup

RE: The Magic Gunner route - MissBrainProblems - 07-14-2017

That sounds pretty... Allagan to me. You aren't planning on taking over the world and oppressing other races using that technology, are you? Tongue

...ahem. All jokes aside, such a thing seems perfectly lore-friendly. You might want to consider adding something regarding arcanima to the mix, since that sounds like the sort of thing that an arcanist would do; that is, use aether in unconventional but "scientific" ways.

RE: The Magic Gunner route - L'ohba Tia - 07-14-2017

The converter is already capable of shifting your internal aether to a specific aspect. I believe the MCH stun ability specifically mentions that it shifts to a lightning aspect? So yeah, your concept is entirely believable and lore friendly.

RE: The Magic Gunner route - yhvh13 - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 01:03 PM)MissBrainProblems Wrote: That sounds pretty... Allagan to me. You aren't planning on taking over the world and oppressing other races using that technology, are you? Tongue
*whistles* No, nothing at all!

Quote:...ahem. All jokes aside, such a thing seems perfectly lore-friendly. You might want to consider adding something regarding arcanima to the mix, since that sounds like the sort of thing that an arcanist would do; that is, use aether in unconventional but "scientific" ways.
Yeah, I've thought about that background... Like, what if an arcanist went machinist instead of summoner or scholar lol.

RE: The Magic Gunner route - Valence - 07-15-2017

(07-14-2017, 12:53 PM)yhvh13 Wrote: So, I was thinking of this idea:

Roleplaying a MCH as a magic gunner. A crafty inventor that develops all sorts of ballistic trinkets, but her bread-n-butter is a magic revolver that is connected through a cable on the aetherotransformer, that is used to capture aether on the surroundings to feed the gun magic, elemental-based shots. 

Would that be too stretch-y? Yes, no?

That is... more or less what a MCH actually already is.

They put fancy ammo in their guns, use the aetherotransformer to gather up their aetherial personal energies, transform it into lightning aspected energy, and power the gun with it, along with all kind of fancy effects you might think of when they press the trigger.

The turret also works the same way.

The only difference i see is that you would capture surrounding aether instead of your own. So potentially way bigger reserve but maybe less bursty energy at disposal (cf CNJ vs THM).

RE: The Magic Gunner route - Aziraya - 07-16-2017

I would very much stay away from anything taking aether from the environment. I may be wrong but isn't that like... reason #1 why Black Mages are outlawed? Make it take the aether from you and transform it, sure, but I would steer clear of taking from the general area.

RE: The Magic Gunner route - Valence - 07-16-2017

As long as it's not a doomsday device sucking aether better than a voidsent horror and drying all the land around, I really, really doubt anyone would care.

Black Magic and Succor were outlawed because they were doomsday weapons. Especially employed by so many people on an unprecedented scale of destruction. It wasn't just about a single black mage or white mage sending Flare after Flare and whatnot. It's on the scale of what Mhach and Amdapor did (but especially Mhach). Ozma, the Void Ark, gargantuan amounts of aether used to fuel their wars and magic creations.

That they are or not today isn't even the point anymore. It's a taboo. It gets a rep bad enough that using the slightest, most harmless aether drawing art will make eyes twitch.