Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? (/showthread.php?tid=20160)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 06:06 PM)Meena Wrote: I just find it odd that i is a requirement for most people to ask them first to approach despite them already role playing in public. if my character is there, why are they invisible to someone until I ask permission?

If we go back to the coffee shop example for a moment...

If you and a friend were having an in-depth conversation about something, would you take notice of a stranger listening in? Especially one who was simply listening without any indication that they might turn their attention towards your table and possibly interact with you? ...and that's putting aside if that interaction would even be wanted. It's kinda jarring when an uninvolved person suddenly enters a conversation they weren't...really...a part of. Like, enough to kill the conversation in real life. In those types of moments, I would think that an emote is useful, if not required. And even then, there are plenty of reasons why someone may fail to pick it up, knowingly or not. And when that happens, a courtesy /tell isn't really that jarring. A one-liner like "hey I saw your RP, is it ok if I involve my character" is pretty easy. It could even be turned into a macro like the following, if you wanted to reach out to multiple grounds quickly. (Based off targeting their player character).

Code:
/tell <t> ((hey I saw your RP, is it ok if I involve my character?))

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Eses Fafa - 07-21-2017

This is tricky, since sometimes you need to tell people there's an 'event' or 'planned RP' going on, and generally such things are best kept to a party chat to alleviate confusion. If they're openly talking and emoting such things in a public area, it's their own fault for giving off the wrong impression and if they're mad about people coming up like that, then they should've stated it was a planned RP or actually think about how they plan such types of roleplay in the first place.

I remember an event where some mates of mine and I disguised as Garleans and kept everything within party, though someone came along like 'I suggest you run..' thinking we were openly IC..not sure why someone would try to solo 4 guys but hey, whatcha gonna do? After I explain to her via /tell that it was a reserved event, she let us be.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - V'aleera - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 10:46 AM)Virella Wrote: It's the dumb American PC culture what just rules on Balmung. THEE MUST NOT OFFEND ELSE I WILL DEMONISE THOUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

(07-21-2017, 06:06 PM)Meena Wrote: And Im sorry if this next comment sounds offensive, in regards to PC culture.

You both are trying to center this conversation on something that does not actually exist. "PC culture" is a phantom; a bogeyman invented by the media arms of a particular political sphere for the purpose of rallying support for their own cultural ideology. You telling people to act in a particular way because it's "too PC" is like me telling you to act in a particular way because to do otherwise would incur the wrath of Santa Claus.

If you want to discuss a specific social issue you are encountering, describe it thoroughly and specifically and ideally with supporting anecdotes to ensure clarity. Don't use made up words that lack any meaningful definition.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Zhavi - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 06:06 PM)Meena Wrote: I just find it odd that i is a requirement for most people to ask them first to approach despite them already role playing in public. if my character is there, why are they invisible to someone until I ask permission?

I think a lot of this thread is certain words getting misread or misunderstood. I've not really seen anyone say they always feel it is necessary to send an ooc message.

The point I was trying and not doing a very good job of making was that sometimes ooc communication during, before, or after walkup rp can help to smooth understanding, to help make issues like your example make sense and -- hopefully in the future! -- create smoother rp between you and those individuals. It's not necessarily that they aren't really into full immersion or open world rp, but rather that there might be misunderstandings that can (sometimes) be circumvented through ooc communication.

You don't have to. It won't fix everything. But to me it allows me to rp with a wider range of people, because it allows me to counter different ways (and views) of what is ic behaviors, or account for shit that happened before I got there. That's just me, my take from the thread is that other people do just fine without needing to oocly communicate. We're all different!

I think my spinoff examples confused the issue further, but that was all I was trying to say.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Meena - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 07:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-21-2017, 06:06 PM)Meena Wrote: snip

If you and a friend were having an in-depth conversation about something, would you take notice of a stranger listening in? Especially one who was simply listening without any indication that they might turn their attention towards your table and possibly interact with you?

Code:

Either way, if you are emoting nearby that you are listening to them, you should still be allowed to retain the information and not have them snap at you. Just as I, in person could totally listen even if unintentionally, into a conversation at the table next to me where Lady A is complaining about something A, and Person B is agreeing about something A. Etc.

They're allowed to completely IC focus on their conversation but it doesn't mean other people don't exist.

RP is nothing but a game of consensus. Nothing exists that all involved parties do not agree exists. If they don't want to acknowledge your character's existence then your character does not exist within the scope of their RP; and vice versa.

I personally would say that it would be in good form to humor anyone who gleaned IC information by ICly eavesdropping, but I only get to decide that for myself and not anyone else.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Lydia Lightfoot - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 07:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: If we go back to the coffee shop example for a moment...

If you and a friend were having an in-depth conversation about something, would you take notice of a stranger listening in? Especially one who was simply listening without any indication that they might turn their attention towards your table and possibly interact with you? ...and that's putting aside if that interaction would even be wanted. It's kinda jarring when an uninvolved person suddenly enters a conversation they weren't...really...a part of. Like, enough to kill the conversation in real life. <snip>

Just to play devil's advocate a moment... a coffee shop isn't a private space, and in my experience at least - as a person who randomly interacts with people because I have no sense of social decorum - people tend not to be offended if someone nearby chimes in on their conversation (or if they preferred not to have someone join in, I've literally never had someone get shitty toward me, they just politely excuse themselves and leave the not-private coffee shop to go find somewhere actually-private to continue their conversation).

More to the point, this also depends severely on the topic at hand. If two moms are at said coffee shop discussing how well their kids are doing in little league, that's a harmless enough sort of topic and they're unlikely to object at all if someone chimes in with some relevant anecdote about their own kid or their own experience in little league when they were younger (obviously, butting into the discussion with a comment totally unrelated would not go over well, of course). However, if it's three people talking about the house they just got done burgling and how they're going to pawn everything to buy meth, who gives a damn if they'd be offended by someone jumping into that discussion, because the topic at hand is one which is apparently alarming to those outside of the conversation.

So to translate that into an RP circumstance, if some people are roleplaying on the street in Ul'dah and collectively emoting how they're beating the crap out of another character, and said character is obviously outmatched and hasn't apparently done anything wrong, and I choose to have my character join the fray, those players have no right to object to it. They're roleplaying something which would be naturally alarming to passersby, and they're doing said roleplay openly. If they can't handle random participants joining in, maybe they shouldn't be publicly roleplaying a topic which begs random participants to join in.

(07-21-2017, 08:37 PM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: If they can't handle random participants joining in, maybe they shouldn't be publicly roleplaying a topic which begs random participants to join in.

Would it be an unfair rebuttal on their part to state that if you don't like seeing roleplay that is not open to your involvement in a particular channel that you are free to mute that channel and ignore it?

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Lydia Lightfoot - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 08:54 PM)V Wrote: Would it be an unfair rebuttal on their part to state that if you don't like seeing roleplay that is not open to your involvement in a particular channel that you are free to mute that channel and ignore it?

Entirely unfair, because that's pretty much the same as them saying "Oh, you witnessed a crime in a public place in real life and you found that unsettling? Guess you should go around everywhere with a blindfold on, huh." Nobody should have to - and nobody is going to - deactivate their /say and /emote channels.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Gegenji - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 08:37 PM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: So to translate that into an RP circumstance, if some people are roleplaying on the street in Ul'dah and collectively emoting how they're beating the crap out of another character, and said character is obviously outmatched and hasn't apparently done anything wrong, and I choose to have my character join the fray, those players have no right to object to it. They're roleplaying something which would be naturally alarming to passersby, and they're doing said roleplay openly. If they can't handle random participants joining in, maybe they shouldn't be publicly roleplaying a topic which begs random participants to join in.

That's just it, though. They have every right to object to you imposing yourself into their scene if they don't want you their. It's their RP - just because you can see it doesn't give you some magical dominion over it.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Meena - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 09:48 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-21-2017, 08:37 PM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: So to translate that into an RP circumstance, if some people are roleplaying on the street in Ul'dah and collectively emoting how they're beating the crap out of another character, and said character is obviously outmatched and hasn't apparently done anything wrong, and I choose to have my character join the fray, those players have no right to object to it. They're roleplaying something which would be naturally alarming to passersby, and they're doing said roleplay openly. If they can't handle random participants joining in, maybe they shouldn't be publicly roleplaying a topic which begs random participants to join in.

That's just it, though. They have every right to object to you imposing yourself into their scene if they don't want you their. It's their RP - just because you can see it doesn't give you some magical dominion over it.
But the game has avenues to reduce that. If they dont want anyone coming into their roleplay use those provided channels.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - LiadansWhisper - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 07:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

If you and a friend were having an in-depth conversation about something, would you take notice of a stranger listening in? Especially one who was simply listening without any indication that they might turn their attention towards your table and possibly interact with you? ...and that's putting aside if that interaction would even be wanted. It's kinda jarring when an uninvolved person suddenly enters a conversation they weren't...really...a part of. Like, enough to kill the conversation in real life. In those types of moments, I would think that an emote is useful, if not required. And even then, there are plenty of reasons why someone may fail to pick it up, knowingly or not. And when that happens, a courtesy /tell isn't really that jarring. A one-liner like "hey I saw your RP, is it ok if I involve my character" is pretty easy. It could even be turned into a macro like the following, if you wanted to reach out to multiple grounds quickly. (Based off targeting their player character).

Code:

Well, people just talk to you here. Total strangers. All the time. And it doesn't stop conversation.

(07-21-2017, 09:33 PM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: Nobody should have to - and nobody is going to - deactivate their /say and /emote channels.

Bear in mind you are free to blacklist them as well. The tools to curate your social experience are at your disposal, the onus is on you to use them.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Verad - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 06:06 PM)Meena Wrote: I could just be making mountains out of molehills, or completely underestimate the situation, but yeh. What i've wittnessed.

This is exactly what you are doing.

RE: Roleplaying in Public, but not..in public? - Caspar - 07-21-2017

(07-21-2017, 09:52 PM)Meena Wrote:
(07-21-2017, 09:48 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

But the game has avenues to reduce that. If they dont want anyone coming into their roleplay use those provided channels.
You could apply this same logic to avoiding awkward exchanges with people RPing privately. I don't see why the responsibility needs to be theirs alone. You, after all, are the one imposing.