Hydaelyn Role-Players
Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Your Gender vs. Your Character's (/showthread.php?tid=20219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Gegenji - 07-27-2017

I'm a guy who plays guy characters. I honestly don't play female characters for the simple reason of lack of personal confidence in my writing and/or acting skills. I don't think I could RP a girl well, so I don't. Even the female NPCs I might use in scenes (Chachan's mother and sister, for example) are usually based heavily off of women I know or some manner of female stereotype. Blush

When it gets into romantic entanglements, though, I... don't really mind? The story at hand is the relationship between the characters, not the people who are playing them. So whether or not the girl one of my characters is dating is played by an actual girl is kind of a moot point? I dunno.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Kaiverta - 07-27-2017

(07-27-2017, 11:54 AM)Surilian Wrote: Adding my penny's worth, I have definitely been one to play both aspects of the gender pool. In the past I use to always play female toons when I first started but yet had issues of the other player growing a attachment that would uncomfortably shift into rl and put in a spot.

I have found playing a male toon so much nicer for my gender since it stays IC and I don't have so many worries. It seems more relaxing and many people have found my male toons from enjoyable, to even a pain, to even people saying I rp spot on.

I find nothing wrong with it and yes as everyone said here, if someone has a issue its because they wished for something irl which this is rp! They are fawning over the toon.. not the actor (rper) which only tosses a glimmer of themselves into the character.

Enjoy the rp! Its suppose to be fun! And if people have issues that is their issue. All I say is communication is important Big Grin Always communicate! Set down lines so it doesn't become bad later ;-; (been there done that and I'm such a softy ooc compared to all my babies I play)  And have fun!

Well said. Smile We're all here to write stories that essentially have nothing to do with US as the writers. Some people do still get emotional and overreact to OOC things that really shouldn't affect their IC situations, but all in all, it's a positive thing.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Cocotsu - 07-27-2017

(07-27-2017, 11:28 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 11:22 AM)Cocotsu Wrote: I will say is hilarious to play a female character and then join a voice chat later and hear everyone's jaws drop. "YOUR A DUDE!?"
How is that surprising these days?! Honestly, the only times I see that happening is when they had intentions to develop something IRL. I did get rather stunned when I found a few guildies on WoW were women playing guys because they played it pretty solidly, but it's often best to assume the chick is a dude until proven otherwise, and even better so if one has a more lecherous mindset of trying to progress something IRL and instead just trying to be your friend.

Personally I simply refer to anyone by their characters gender until I hear them in voice.  Perhaps my quote there didn't have enough background. I was referring to a time in Tera when I played an Elin. For a few months I was in a guild but didn't use voice chat. So when I joined everyone was surprised.  Not that its fun to do it intentionally but its amusing and satisfactory when you can play a character well enough of the opposite gender.

(07-27-2017, 12:17 PM)Cocotsu Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 11:22 AM)Cocotsu Wrote: I will say is hilarious to play a female character and then join a voice chat later and hear everyone's jaws drop. "YOUR A DUDE!?"
How is that surprising these days?! Honestly, the only times I see that happening is when they had intentions to develop something IRL. I did get rather stunned when I found a few guildies on WoW were women playing guys because they played it pretty solidly, but it's often best to assume the chick is a dude until proven otherwise, and even better so if one has a more lecherous mindset of trying to progress something IRL and instead just trying to be your friend.

Personally I simply refer to anyone by their characters gender until I hear them in voice.  Perhaps my quote there didn't have enough background. I was referring to a time in Tera when I played an Elin. For a few months I was in a guild but didn't use voice chat. So when I joined everyone was surprised.  Not that its fun to do it intentionally but its amusing and satisfactory when you can play a character well enough of the opposite gender.

Oh yes, I do the same thing. Unless it is stated otherwise, I refer to the person (if communicating OOCly) to the same gender as his or her character.

I'd like to RP with you sometime and witness your awesome female skillz for myself. Smile I just... need to get back into the game. >>

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Arashin Kujqai - 07-27-2017

I've always been one to pick the same gender I am in games, even in gender locked mmo's. I've never felt right playing a female character out of customization but playing games like Metroid Prime, Tomb Raider, or etc with established characters(typically in narrative formats that show you're not actually the character but witnessing the character's events) has always been perfectly fine with me.

I used to have an issue with people playing characters they're not until I understood their reasoning. Some because of gender identity and others to avoid being hit on. I still embrace the idea that in a role playing game that you should feel immersed into an mmo, and embrace what you are IRL but I realize that's not always possible for people in this day and age. So it doesn't bother me anymore... WHAT DOES bother me however is when someone picks an opposite gender character and gets offended I call them by that gender. For example, you're a girl IRL but play a guy, so off glance I'm going to assume and say "he", but then the person gets snippy and says "UM, I'M A GIRL". Makes me want so smack them across the face, stamp their hand with a "I'm special!" brand, and tell them "you picked a male character, that's what you wanted".

I know it's bad to assume gender but sometimes there draws a line in how ridiculous and tedious it is to be this sensitive(and this is coming from someone who's often too sensitive). I feel like if you picked a specific gender and people refer to you as what they see in game, it shouldn't warrant a "don't do that stupid!" kinda comment when the person clearly chose that gender and knew they would be identified as such. Idc if you're a moose IRL, you picked a female miqo'te, then you're a female when I refer to you since it's what you wanted and chose to be looked upon as.

That said, I do have friends who prefer to be called something or another, depending on their personality I typically cope with it. Especially if they're picking it for gender identity issues they may have, it seems to come easier to refer to someone based off their personality when you get to know them. But if you don't know them or they're just passing by, I'm often to go for what I know based off the character models.

There's also some players I've seen who RP with male models but claim they're female in their search comment to support the body type of being a buff looking character. I kinda understand this one as FF14 doesn't allow body customization(/cry), and it isn't too hard to make male models look feminine and vice versa I imagine. I respect that but I do find it difficult at times to remember "oh right this person's actually a girl RP character" when I see a male model in front of me. It might just be a game design thing that I have engraved that models are specific and aren't often modified by player will claiming their character isn't what they appear to be in game(i.e. claiming they're a buff female char but using a male char model). That's just my more technical side applying logic to game physics/graphics/modeling than being aware of player will to be imaginative lol. Which I guess also means I'm used to mmo's giving us proper body customization to allow that kinda imagination to thrive in the game without players having to claim otherwise(give us more options to customize SE :|)

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Crystal Chronicler - 07-27-2017

Personally, I think that sounds hilarious. You got this tiny female character with a deep male voice. That's just pure funny.

Show Content

Somehow this double posted. Please delete.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Cocotsu - 07-27-2017

(07-27-2017, 12:02 PM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: There are times when I enjoy playing a male character, though. I enjoy playing as a male dwarf in games that have. Part of it is because of how unabashedly masculine they are with those huge beards and all, but is mostly because they tend to exemplify what I consider to be extremely positive male traits. These would be things like hard work ethic, loyalty, camaraderie, dependability, toughness, and strength to name a few examples. Also beards and Scottish accents. I see them as the working class Joes to the elves' aristocratic snobbery.

Dwarfs yes! Give me a game with good dwarfs in it and I will solidly play a dwarf! Diggy diggy hole!

(07-27-2017, 12:24 PM)Cocotsu Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 12:02 PM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: There are times when I enjoy playing a male character, though. I enjoy playing as a male dwarf in games that have. Part of it is because of how unabashedly masculine they are with those huge beards and all, but is mostly because they tend to exemplify what I consider to be extremely positive male traits. These would be things like hard work ethic, loyalty, camaraderie, dependability, toughness, and strength to name a few examples. Also beards and Scottish accents. I see them as the working class Joes to the elves' aristocratic snobbery.

Dwarfs yes! Give me a game with good dwarfs in it and I will solidly play a dwarf! Diggy diggy hole!
I've had that song stuck in my head all day!

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Gegenji - 07-27-2017

(07-27-2017, 12:22 PM)Valic Wrote: There's also some players I've seen who RP with male models but claim they're female in their search comment to support the body type of being a buff looking character. I kinda understand this one as FF14 doesn't allow body customization(/cry), and it isn't too hard to make male models look feminine and vice versa I imagine. I respect that but I do find it difficult at times to remember "oh right this person's actually a girl RP character" when I see a male model in front of me. It might just be a game design thing that I have engraved that models are specific and aren't often modified by player will claiming their character isn't what they appear to be in game(i.e. claiming they're a buff female char but using a male char model). That's just my more technical side applying logic to game physics/graphics/modeling than being aware of player will to be imaginative lol. Which I guess also means I'm used to mmo's giving us proper body customization to allow that kinda imagination to thrive in the game without players having to claim otherwise(give us more options to customize SE Undecided)

That's... one that's gotten me raising eyebrows pretty often as well. Though it's usually a guy using a female model because their character is "effeminate-looking." Which is all well and good, but it kind of ruins the whole point of it when your character does that exact thing - mistaken them as female - and the person OOCly gets upset with you. Like... the purpose was to have your character be kinda girly-looking, so you're upset when people mistake the character as a girl for being girly-looking? Dazed

(07-27-2017, 12:25 PM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 12:24 PM)Cocotsu Wrote:

I've had that song stuck in my head all day!

(Not gonna lie, that's the song I had on loop when I was leveling Mining on Chachan.) Blush

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Kilieit - 07-27-2017

[Image: 2bc0f7de72.jpg]
(from here)

There's no pattern, haha. Aghurlal is unequivocally my main and has been for a while now, but before that, the character Medic is based on was my RP main in WoW for years. The halfling edition of Caiden has been my Pathfinder Society Organised Play main since 2007 (yes, I've been on the slow track since it was introduced as an option, why do you ask lol). Cinu-a is similarly based on a character I roleplayed regularly for about two years before beginning to play XIV.

As for my gender OOC? ...I'm nonbinary, which means I'm not strictly male or female. In a sense, none of my characters have the same gender as me, despite there being a variety (even Shuu - they're completely agender, and I am not).

I guess that's probably not the perspective you were looking for, but it's the one I have to offer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Nebbs - 07-27-2017

(07-27-2017, 10:48 AM)Kaiverta Wrote: Hi all.

I'm a woman and I have almost always RPed male characters. They're just more fun for me to write, they get better attention (my female characters always got bitchy attention), and they flow more nicely for me personally.

Switch the genders and that me. This has been my experience over decades of RP from Tabletop, BBS and MMOs. Even when I wrote stories my head-space was always better in the female view (imo). I would say my split is around 70/30 Fem/Male overall.

I play to RP more than anything else, it is a channel for my creativity and I feel folks should go with what works for them and not what others would want to impose on you (for whatever reasons). In fact my ideal RP would be 100% RP interactions and relationships, or close to that. Though because of game and organization stuff I have to OOC with folks.

I don't care what gender the other persons are in RL and don't expect me to fit any traditional RL type. I am what I am, And what I am needs no excuses

(07-27-2017, 12:48 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 10:48 AM)Kaiverta Wrote: Hi all.

I'm a woman and I have almost always RPed male characters. They're just more fun for me to write, they get better attention (my female characters always got bitchy attention), and they flow more nicely for me personally.

Switch the genders and that me. This has been my experience over decades of RP from Tabletop, BBS and MMOs. Even when I wrote stories my head-space was always better in the female view (imo). I would say my split is around 70/30 Fem/Male overall.

I play to RP more than anything else, it is a channel for my creativity and I feel folks should go with what works for them and not what others would want to impose on you (for whatever reasons). In fact my ideal RP would be 100% RP interactions and relationships, or close to that. Though because of game and organization stuff I have to OOC with folks.

I don't care what gender the other persons are in RL and don't expect me to fit any traditional RL type. I am what I am, And what I am needs no excuses

Hear, hear. Smile Well said. Indeed, who cares what we are? We're here to have fun and be what we're not (even if we're female playing female or males playing males, we're still not playing who we are). And if we make a character who is exactly like we are IRL, that's okay, too. I would be fine with a 100% RP environment, too. RP is awesome fun.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Zhavi - 07-27-2017

I've played both. It always makes me happy to see someone play a character opposite of their irl gender and play it well. In my forum community we had a gentleman whose first character was female; we usually could tell when men were playing women and vice versa, but for him -- we thought he was a chick for over a year (he didn't have a mic/cam for a long time, so our voice chat get togethers were no help) before he finally said in chat one day, 'you guys know I'm a dude, right?' Ooooops.

We were quite embarrassed but lauded him for writing his character so well!

(07-27-2017, 12:41 PM)Kilieit Wrote: [Image: 2bc0f7de72.jpg]
(from here)

There's no pattern, haha. Aghurlal is unequivocally my main and has been for a while now, but before that, the character Medic is based on was my RP main in WoW for years. The halfling edition of Caiden has been my Pathfinder Society Organised Play main since 2007 (yes, I've been on the slow track since it was introduced as an option, why do you ask lol). Cinu-a is similarly based on a character I roleplayed regularly for about two years before beginning to play XIV.

As for my gender OOC? ...I'm nonbinary, which means I'm not strictly male or female. In a sense, none of my characters have the same gender as me, despite there being a variety (even Shuu - they're completely agender, and I am not).

I guess that's probably not the perspective you were looking for, but it's the one I have to offer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well that confused me a bit but so what? Thanks for a different perspective on things. Smile I'm not asking for any one specific perspective, so it's all good.