Hydaelyn Role-Players
Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Your Gender vs. Your Character's (/showthread.php?tid=20219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Xion - 08-09-2017

(08-08-2017, 04:52 AM)Emerald Wrote: Women can be fun and everything, but it bores me to death to play one. I really don't find it stimulating, more often than not it feels like a lukewarm waste of time and I don't even know why. Maybe because I'm already one and it just feels like a repeat of what it already is, more or less? I don't know.
This bit really is how I feel. I'm a guy, but I tend to RP females. Why? Because honestly, I'm a guy 24/7. It's something new. 

Glad to know the other side of the fence feels the same way!

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Es'mena - 08-09-2017

I've always seen this question pop up and I hear answers from alllllllll different sides and different types of people. Personally, I am a woman and I write for women more than I do for men, but I never really gave it any thought. I know aesthetically I find women more pleasing and if I'm going to be sitting in a game to RP, I want something nice to look at - so I'm sure that's a good chunk of the reasoning, at least for me.

An interesting note is that I have friends that are women that play men due to poor treatment they received on their female characters. Though they also say as a woman playing a man (a very well liked one), they get a lot of hostility OOC from men. Anyone else experience this?

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Aaron - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 08:20 AM)Es Wrote: I've always seen this question pop up and I hear answers from alllllllll different sides and different types of people. Personally, I am a woman and I write for women more than I do for men, but I never really gave it any thought. I know aesthetically I find women more pleasing and if I'm going to be sitting in a game to RP, I want something nice to look at - so I'm sure that's a good chunk of the reasoning, at least for me.

An interesting note is that I have friends that are women that play men due to poor treatment they received on their female characters. Though they also say as a woman playing a man (a very well liked one), they get a lot of hostility OOC from men. Anyone else experience this?
If you're a woman playing a man (especially a hot woman) the guys that are hostile are usually interested in you OOC but can't progress it through IC bleed because they don't play gay characters.

Cause I know several girls who play guys and I haven't had any reason to hate them for it. Cause it doesn't bother me. Lol

(08-09-2017, 08:28 AM)Aaron Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:20 AM)Es Wrote: I've always seen this question pop up and I hear answers from alllllllll different sides and different types of people. Personally, I am a woman and I write for women more than I do for men, but I never really gave it any thought. I know aesthetically I find women more pleasing and if I'm going to be sitting in a game to RP, I want something nice to look at - so I'm sure that's a good chunk of the reasoning, at least for me.

If you're a woman playing a man (especially a hot woman) the guys that are hostile are usually interested in you OOC but can't progress it through IC bleed because they don't play gay characters.

Cause I know several girls who play guys and I haven't had any reason to hate them for it. Cause it doesn't bother me. Lol

I know in her case she is very attractive and plays a very attractive mostly-straight male character. We ASSUME that it's jealousy on the male player parts, but I never really considered the OOC interest not being able to be progressed IC. That's an interesting (and creepo) thought. Huh!

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Maril - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 08:20 AM)Es Wrote: An interesting note is that I have friends that are women that play men due to poor treatment they received on their female characters. Though they also say as a woman playing a man (a very well liked one), they get a lot of hostility OOC from men. Anyone else experience this?

What I also find interesting here is, if you play a male miqo'te with the last name "Nunh", the harrassment seems to be able to rival what female ooc/ic players can experience in the shape of nasty tells. My general opinion is that Balmung used to be way worse than it is, presently - You can go into the Quicksand on a female character without getting a single creepy tell, these days. 

As for OOC aggression from men, I've seen the people who have strong opinions about it but haven't has the (dis)pleasure of interacting with them more than once. As I see it, they are a minority - that can just be a bit vocal. It's nothing I'd compare to ending up with a stalker-type that is out to manipulate you ooc for various reasons, including the standard guy-wants-gamer-girl. So I think if girls want to play guys to get away from that kind of harassment it's still a fairly effective shield.

(08-09-2017, 08:42 AM)Maril Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:20 AM)Es Wrote: An interesting note is that I have friends that are women that play men due to poor treatment they received on their female characters. Though they also say as a woman playing a man (a very well liked one), they get a lot of hostility OOC from men. Anyone else experience this?

What I also find interesting here is, if you play a male miqo'te with the last name "Nunh", the harrassment seems to be able to rival what female ooc/ic players can experience in the shape of nasty tells. My general opinion is that Balmung used to be way worse than it is, presently - You can go into the Quicksand on a female character without getting a single creepy tell, these days. 

As for OOC aggression from men, I've seen the people who have strong opinions about it but haven't has the (dis)pleasure of interacting with them more than once. As I see it, they are a minority - that can just be a bit vocal. It's nothing I'd compare to ending up with a stalker-type that is out to manipulate you ooc for various reasons, including the standard guy-wants-gamer-girl. So I think if girls want to play guys to get away from that kind of harassment it's still a fairly effective shield.

What the heck, are you serious? Lmao, WHY? Do people get weirdly defensive of others writing as a literal 'alpha' male type of character? That is such a strange thing - being more defensive of Nunh as opposed to Tia. They're all dude characters in the end.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Kaiverta - 08-09-2017

I received poor treatment on my female characters from other female characters, but it always felt like it was more OOC crap THROUGH their characters than the characters, themselves.

Playing male characters, almost all of the attention I get is positive. My male characters are generally widely liked - which is a relief because I do prefer to play them. >.>

So far, every interaction I've had with OOC men due to RP has been pleasant. I have a couple of close friends who are males, and who know I play a male character (and one of them actually has a female who is in love with one of my male characters, ha). It's all about maturity in the end. Everyone I'm surrounded by is pretty mature, so the drama of old is thankfully very rare.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Kerrath - 08-09-2017

(08-09-2017, 09:27 AM)Es Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 08:42 AM)Maril Wrote:

What the heck, are you serious? Lmao, WHY? Do people get weirdly defensive of others writing as a literal 'alpha' male type of character? That is such a strange thing - being more defensive of Nunh as opposed to Tia. They're all dude characters in the end.
i think it's primarily a combination of power dynamics in the rp community and the presumption that someone who would choose to play a nunh would do so with the express intent of pursuing ERP.

re: the power dynamics, a nunh is a character with some degree of power in the lore & characters that are powerful are held to higher standards than characters that aren't powerful. e.g. if your character is super powerful but you aren't a top notch grade A roleplayer people will hate you, but they'll forgive a non-powerful character played by a lower quality RPer.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Andromeda - 08-10-2017

I am a woman and a vast majority of my characters are as well. I'm not exactly bad at writing men, but I'm not as good at it. Not that my characters' genders are all that important to who they are as people, only a few would be fundamentally different if they were a different gender, but there's an intangible thing that I don't seem to get right with my couple of male characters. I don't know what it is that I don't get right, but Lhusi'ir hadn't ever felt quite real.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Es'mena - 08-10-2017

(08-09-2017, 09:45 AM)Kerrath Wrote: i think it's primarily a combination of power dynamics in the rp community and the presumption that someone who would choose to play a nunh would do so with the express intent of pursuing ERP.

re: the power dynamics, a nunh is a character with some degree of power in the lore & characters that are powerful are held to higher standards than characters that aren't powerful. e.g. if your character is super powerful but you aren't a top notch grade A roleplayer people will hate you, but they'll forgive a non-powerful character played by a lower quality RPer.

That's always struck me as so silly, personally - the writing/RP experience/ability equating to how accepting people will be of you, but alas~

I guess being relatively new to FFXIV RP, even though I know the cultural implications of what a Nunh is, I don't really consider them to have a lot of power. But then again, I do play a character that kinda threw up the middle finger to all of that, so that probably has a bit to do with it! So I see and understand your point!

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Six - 08-10-2017

(08-09-2017, 09:44 AM)Kaiverta Wrote:

I received poor treatment on my female characters from other female characters, but it always felt like it was more OOC crap THROUGH their characters than the characters, themselves.

Playing male characters, almost all of the attention I get is positive. My male characters are generally widely liked - which is a relief because I do prefer to play them. >.>

So far, every interaction I've had with OOC men due to RP has been pleasant. I have a couple of close friends who are males, and who know I play a male character (and one of them actually has a female who is in love with one of my male characters, ha). It's all about maturity in the end. Everyone I'm surrounded by is pretty mature, so the drama of old is thankfully very rare.
I've found that while on regular servers the male population can outnumber the female population, when it comes to RP servers it almost feels like the majority is female. Before I figured out red flags and hung out with reasonable people I noticed that there seems to be an idea of competition with some female players going on - kind of an extension of the IRL occurrence. When you've got people who are girls RPing girls and want an IC (maybe OOC too) relationship with a male character played by a male player stuff gets CRAZY - even moreso when the guys are limited.

Then you get the flipside on non RP servers with dudes falling over themselves for a female raider. :V

Common ground with both is just immaturity, yeah. I haven't gotten any drama from any other players regardless of gender since I've gotten some good people to hang out with. I don't really think it's down to your character in the end or your gender or whatever - just being around nice people. The prevalence of forums like this helps, too, I think - people are able to see how much a negative attitude robs them of.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-10-2017

(08-10-2017, 09:33 AM)Six Wrote: I've found that while on regular servers the male population can outnumber the female population, when it comes to RP servers it almost feels like the majority is female. Before I figured out red flags and hung out with reasonable people I noticed that there seems to be an idea of competition with some female players going on - kind of an extension of the IRL occurrence. When you've got people who are girls RPing girls and want an IC (maybe OOC too) relationship with a male character played by a male player stuff gets CRAZY - even moreso when the guys are limited.

This has happened to me in two other games and it is always weird

Yes, I'll tank for you or help you get your dream item, yes I'll DM a fun or life-changing event for your character and write cute forum RP post stories with them, just don't ask me to be the sole be-all end-all solution to your OOC anxiety / RL unhappiness with bf or husband / loneliness issues because that strays into weird territory

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Kerrath - 08-11-2017

(08-10-2017, 09:33 AM)Six Wrote: I've found that while on regular servers the male population can outnumber the female population, when it comes to RP servers it almost feels like the majority is female. Before I figured out red flags and hung out with reasonable people I noticed that there seems to be an idea of competition with some female players going on - kind of an extension of the IRL occurrence. When you've got people who are girls RPing girls and want an IC (maybe OOC too) relationship with a male character played by a male player stuff gets CRAZY - even moreso when the guys are limited.

Then you get the flipside on non RP servers with dudes falling over themselves for a female raider. :V

Common ground with both is just immaturity, yeah. I haven't gotten any drama from any other players regardless of gender since I've gotten some good people to hang out with. I don't really think it's down to your character in the end or your gender or whatever - just being around nice people. The prevalence of forums like this helps, too, I think - people are able to see how much a negative attitude robs them of.

This is (sort of) my experience too? I played on Mal'Ganis in WoW. If I were to hear that Mal'Ganis was 97% male 3% female, I would believe it. In fact, I'd think they were overestimating how many women played on that server. 

TBH though, I only really had one horror story about someone harassing a female player on that server. We had this hunter who harassed our female ret paladin to the point that we chose to kick him over it. TBH there were other confounding issues that led to the kick, but the bottom line is that he was also harassing her. The rest of us treated her the same as any other raid member: we only really cared about her dps and we would make fun of her for messing up just like we would only really care about anyone else's dps and make fun of them for messing up. the ret pally was good. she farmed content all day, didn't start any shit, helped everyone out--stellar team player. the only other female player we ever had lasted maybe a week. she was a low performer. when we confronted her on it, she attempted to use her female status to curry favor with us. kicked her. we had no other female players in our guild.

playing on balmung blew my mind how many female players there were. i didn't really see so many female players that male ones are a scarce resource to be fought over.

idk. i mean i know a lot of people who meet online, and i think that's great--met my girlfriend on a forum--but i don't think online is an ideal place to actively seek out a romantic partner.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Ritsu - 08-24-2017

Female that plays females.

I DO like playing different kinds of characters, my two mains are vastly different from each other. I have even played a few males for FC plots, short term - do a-ok. But I do struggle with RP'ing a male long term. I may give it another shot, I have a design I like and wouldn't mind using.

When it comes to sexuality/romance and my characters, that tends to be secondary. I was new to MMO RP and that never really came up when I played D&D back in the day.

As far as what my partners gender is RL? Don't care, I am comfy with writing with whoever. Whether it is a woman playing a male or vice versa.

RE: Your Gender vs. Your Character's - Shadottie - 08-24-2017

This all has been really interesting to read.  I'm kind of a mix-- lady playing both males and females. I lean more towards writing as men.  Picking up male characters was a result of my girl characters constantly getting interest-checks for romantic RP or pickup dates. They were seen more as tools for shippy plots than as characters that have far more to them than the romantic aspect of a story.  I shelved them for a long time, until creative wells dried up as far as playing dudes went.

Pointed out in a post above, I did see a lot of aggression from other male characters, for what girls I was rping with on my dude. Maybe it's a guy thing?? idk. I took it with a grain of salt that my lady friends were suffering from the same I did-- people only there for the hookup rp and my guy's in the way. I'd get whispers questioning if characters were dating, or what my character's relationship was to the other, or even go as far as the dangerous ooc/ic bleed. It was tiresome, and in time turned my male characters into that protective role for romancestuff when characters did hookup-- than explore any other aspect of stories and adventure.

I love me some fluffs as much as the next guy, but I explore all sorts of characters for their flaws, stories and adventure to share with others! ;u;