Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: [Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try (/showthread.php?tid=20269)

[Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try - Venjamin - 08-02-2017

Y'ello, future friends and compatriots!

I've been lurking since Stormblood came out and Mateus became a hotspot for RP. I've been RPing for a good majority of my life at this point, primarily on forums, though I'm a sucker for pen and paper RPGs.

I have about 1029 questions, and I've been perusing all the lore and character development forums and not quite finding what I'm looking for. Once I have it, I may turn it into a helpful little guide, because... that's what I do for a living. The exciting world of technical manuals. 

Anyways, that aside, I was curious as to whether I can just dump all my questions here, or if I should start small and drop things in place? I have the beginnings of a character written up, I'm just worried about all the things that may come with translating from play by post to MMO. 

I joined the Mateus discord, and had a small conversation, but I'm a bit... hesitant to just start throwing questions at strangers in a non-forum fashion, you know?

Ah well. Hopefully I will see a bunch of you out there!

RE: [Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-02-2017

Hiya there!

Welcome to the RPC.

To start off with basics, I'd say you can ask most questions here, but I'd open dedicated threads for certain things.

For questions related specifically to your character[s], I'd open Character Workshop threads.

For lore-related questions, I'd first search the lore board. (It's pretty large. The advanced search will also be far more handy). If it's a one-off question, there's a "general" thread there. For something that is more in-depth or will knowingly have follow-up questions and discussion, I'd open a thread.

If it's on basic RP style, etiquette, etc, RP Discussion is the place.

If it's on FFXIV as a game, then FFXIV Discussion.

If unsure, as here and the we can also help direct you to relevant areas!

RE: [Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try - Rosekitten - 08-02-2017

Welcome to FFXIV and the RPC site. ^^ I can offer some help if you have questions as well in the game or even offer to help in grouping with you as we're on the same server. I dabble in a bit of everything game play wise and I try to stay as up to date as I can on the lore. 
But really just ask away. ^^ No one here will fault you for questioning things at all.

RE: [Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try - Venjamin - 08-03-2017

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I suppose, to start, my biggest question is the how? I am used to there being an overarching plot, or at least something similar, for everyone to have hooks in. But it seems that everything is kind of 'make your own way' here. As such, it's kind of overwhelming, and I'm never sure who's toes I might be stepping on.

How do you generally dive in without drowning? Or worse, cracking your neck on the bottom?

RE: [Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-03-2017

(08-03-2017, 12:17 AM)Venjamin Wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome!

I suppose, to start, my biggest question is the how? I am used to there being an overarching plot, or at least something similar, for everyone to have hooks in. But it seems that everything is kind of 'make your own way' here. As such, it's kind of overwhelming, and I'm never sure who's toes I might be stepping on.

How do you generally dive in without drowning? Or worse, cracking your neck on the bottom?

That's....a very user-specific and subjective thing! I can tell you a little about how I got involved, but what works for some users doesn't always guarantee it'll work for other users.

For some people, they just dive in on their server. They go to hub areas, events, send tells or messages to players and like a game of darts, eventually something sticks and you keep going at it until you score well enough for your satisfaction.

For others, they start with research. They might peruse threads for interest and either chime in or make a post of their own. This can be more of a waiting game.

Character-wise, some people know every detail of their character before starting. Or they might not. Or as they play the game, they find lore tidbits they like and work from there. Or they make a character that has no dependency on the lore whatsoever.

--

I'd generally start off by asking if you have any RP interests or ideas. Things like what type of character you're looking to play, maybe some plot ideas or storylines you're thinking of. Just something to get the creative process going. ...or you might be like me, where I have ideas, but I keep them to myself and go along with the flow.

In my experience, I kinda knew a few people before joining, so I had it pretty easy. I mostly leeched on their connections until I could build my own. I also involved myself in some of the public events and that was also pretty helpful in getting to know people and finding easy ways to involve my character with others.

RE: [Mateus] New to MMORP, excited to try - Thunderbolt300 - 08-03-2017

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC and to MMO RP! Thumbsup

Think you're well taken care of here already, but tossing up a Making Connections post here on the RPC can be an immense help in hitting the ground running.