Hydaelyn Role-Players
Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! (/showthread.php?tid=20288)

Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! - BubbyDucks - 08-05-2017

{Generic Greeting} , I'm Bubbers  and I'm thinking about returning to FFXIV and trying out roleplays. The last time I played was a few months before they ceased PS3 support, and even then I only just beaten ARR and never got to touch the lovely HW content aha. But now I have a proper PC to play it on, and I'm ready to get back in action!

I used to play SMN, and I heard theres been a lot of changes to how classes function. So I would appreciate if I could fall into a group that'd be willing to help me relearn aha.

Other than that, I'm thinking of getting into roleplay this time around and have some questions that I'd really like answers to before I go and rebuy my sub and all.

1. Firstly, I'm currently in Faerie. What server would be good to transfer to, I'd prefer not to balmung because I dont wanna tell friends new to the game server transfers and all. I've gotten the impression Mateus is a good pick with a healthy community, is this correct?

2. How would I go about getting into a roleplay group/FC? I was actually dragged into my first one so I'm not sure how people make connections aha. I'd really like some peeps that could help me out with the lore/character, but also aren't shy of helping me clear a dungeon now and again aha.

3. Do all the Roleplay FCs here have a theme, or is there something more broad or general? Are Linkshells more pertinent than FCs for roleplay? Just asking because I'd like to join a group that I could work multiple characters in if I needed. Also would be nice to have peeps I can rely on for dungeoning and stuff.

4. What lore resources are there? I've heard of there's the Encyclopedia Eorzea, which I plan to get later. But is there any thing else? I'm gonna play Lalafel if that helps.

RE: Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! - Kaiverta - 08-05-2017

I cannot help you because I'm only a returning player myself, having played originally two years ago (haven't yet returned to the game), so I have nooo idea how to answer any of your questions.

Blush

But I wanted to say that your words have been read! And there will be plenty of people who will be able to help you. The community here is very nice.

RE: Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! - Savarah - 08-05-2017

Welcome back!

1) Balmung is closed to transfer and character creation indefinitely. Many NA folk have gone to Mateus, and many EU folk have gone to Omega. Those are your two largest communities, though there are definitely smaller RP scenes on other servers. The FC/LS halls here might give you a good idea.

2) Poke around the FC Hall here, see if anything catches your eye. You can also check out the event calendar once you choose a server to meet new people. The party finder on whatever server you choose will likely have advertisement as well.

3) Most FCs have some sort of theme, even if it's as broad as "adventuring". Some are more specific.There's a little of everything.

4) We've got a pretty good lore collection here on the RPC, from people pulling info from multiple locations. There's also the lore forums on the official forums, Encyclopedia Eorzea, and a host of others. (I know I've left some out, those were just the ones that came to mind.)

RE: Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! - Sounsyy - 08-05-2017

(08-05-2017, 11:14 AM)BubbyDucks Wrote: 4. What lore resources are there? I've heard of there's the Encyclopedia Eorzea, which I plan to get later. But is there any thing else? I'm gonna play Lalafel if that helps.

I'm not the best person to ask for the other questions, but I can definitely point you in the direction of more lore resources! For the basics and an ever-growing collection of links to large lore compilations on a variety of topics, you're gonna want to start here:

Lore Compilation Index

There's a section on Lalafell lore in there! And so far (since I haven't really gotten around to it) it's all Stormblood spoiler free. Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have any other lore questions that aren't covered on that page or the pulled down menus for additional rpc and tumblr compilations~

RE: Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! - BubbyDucks - 08-05-2017

(08-05-2017, 12:11 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 11:14 AM)BubbyDucks Wrote: 4. What lore resources are there? I've heard of there's the Encyclopedia Eorzea, which I plan to get later. But is there any thing else? I'm gonna play Lalafel if that helps.

I'm not the best person to ask for the other questions, but I can definitely point you in the direction of more lore resources! For the basics and an ever-growing collection of links to large lore compilations on a variety of topics, you're gonna want to start here:

Lore Compilation Index

There's a section on Lalafell lore in there! And so far (since I haven't really gotten around to it) it's all Stormblood spoiler free. Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have any other lore questions that aren't covered on that page or the pulled down menus for additional rpc and tumblr compilations~

HeartHeartHeart

RE: Returning FFXIV player, need some help getting re-acclimated! - Thunderbolt300 - 08-07-2017

Hey there and welcome back aboard FFXIV and to the RPC! Thumbsup

Think your questions have been answered already, but yeah- Mateus is really your best choice for RP access at this time. Best of luck, all the same!