Hydaelyn Role-Players
FFXIV RP MuD...? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: FFXIV RP MuD...? (/showthread.php?tid=20289)

FFXIV RP MuD...? - Kaiverta - 08-05-2017

A MuD is a Multi-User Dungeon, and is basically 'live' RP through writing, just like in FFXIV In-Game RP, but without the actual game/images. It's a bit hard to describe.

Basically, what do you all think the possibility would be of SE maybe designing a MuD specifically for FFXIV players? That would help with the fullness of Balmung, maybe? It would run alongside the game itself and your in-game character's actions there and in the MuD would coincide, one affecting the other.

It's basically like forum-RPing, except you need to be logged in to send and receive messages, so RP is more fast-paced, etc.

What are everyone's thoughts?

I've described it very poorly, I'm sorry.

RE: FFXIV RP MuD...? - Gegenji - 08-05-2017

If I recall correctly, MUDs basically were kind of the precursor to MMO-style games. Or at least RP in MMO-style games. As such, I don't think SE would even consider a "backward" step like that, especially for such a small niche group of its player base. Sure, they provided the RP tag and lore material, but developing a whole extra (if outdated) game specifically to cater to that group? Doubtful.

That said, there's nothing keeping us from doing something... somewhat similar? The RPC chat has multiple room options marked as being for RP - and you can even make your own custom rooms (and password lock them if you want to do a private scene without someone barging in). So, while it's not a MUD, it's still another way to do RP without being in game... along with the Town Square section of these forums, and other external communication options like Discord and Skype (if anyone uses Skype anymore, of course).

The idea that SE would make a MUD, unfortunately, strikes me as horribly unfeasible.

RE: FFXIV RP MuD...? - Heidrek - 08-05-2017

(08-05-2017, 01:18 PM)Gegenji Wrote: The idea that SE would make a MUD, unfortunately, strikes me as horribly unfeasible.

The idea that any company would make a MUD at all is really just wishful thinking.

RE: FFXIV RP MuD...? - Kaiverta - 08-05-2017

Fair enough.

RE: FFXIV RP MuD...? - Erah'sae - 08-07-2017

It wouldn't be beyond reason to have someone spin up a Diku based mud on a virtual host somewhere and get a few people to create zones based on areas in FFXIV though. 

Could be an amusing little side project.

RE: FFXIV RP MuD...? - ExAtomos - 08-07-2017

Yeah, this would be going backwards in the evolution of mmos. xD I /loved/ playing muds back when (and still would if I knew others that did)(but then, I'd miss graphics). I think the only way something like this were to happen is if fans made it.