Hydaelyn Role-Players
PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox (/showthread.php?tid=20302)

PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-07-2017

Quote:Greetings, everyone!

English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox will be on hand to host a panel at PAX West 2017 featuring tales from the lore and localization of Stormblood! In addition, he’ll also be answering questions gathered from this thread!

Please post questions related to the localization of Stormblood or the lore found throughout Hydaelyn!

When submitting your question, we ask that you follow these steps:
  • Please post your question(s) as a reply to this thread
  • Please limit posts to your question(s) only and do not use this thread for discussion
  • If another player already asked a question you had in mind, simply click the "Like!" button instead of re-posting the question
  • Please post only one question per reply (of course you are allowed to post several replies!)
* Click here for more information regarding the PAX West 2017.
* Please note that once the event is over, we will be closing this thread.

Feel free to link your questions in the thread to boost views!

Link: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/340608-PAX-West-2017-Questions-for-English-Localization-Lead-Michael-Christopher-Koji-Fox

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-07-2017

Show Content
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/340608-PAX-West-2017-Questions-for-English-Localization-Lead-Michael-Christopher-Koji-Fox?p=4355365&viewfull=1#post4355365

Show Content
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/340608-PAX-West-2017-Questions-for-English-Localization-Lead-Michael-Christopher-Koji-Fox?p=4355371&viewfull=1#post4355371

Show Content
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/340608-PAX-West-2017-Questions-for-English-Localization-Lead-Michael-Christopher-Koji-Fox?p=4355430&viewfull=1#post4355430

Show Content
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/340608-PAX-West-2017-Questions-for-English-Localization-Lead-Michael-Christopher-Koji-Fox?p=4355863&viewfull=1#post4355863

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Virella - 08-07-2017

Help a Fist roleplayer out, praise Rhalgr and upvote <3

Question one

Question two

Question three

Also upvote Franz his questions while you're at it

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Sounsyy - 08-10-2017

I've left some questions:

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]
[11]

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Koji Fox - Roen - 08-10-2017

I only left one question.

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Cato - 08-10-2017

Here's my question:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/340608-PAX-West-2017-Questions-for-English-Localization-Lead-Michael-Christopher-Koji-Fox?p=4355512&viewfull=1#post4355512

English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Erah'sae - 08-10-2017

Here's mine:  (link)

Show Content

Edit: added another here: (link)
Show Content

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Judielle Farendaire - 08-15-2017

Mine: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/340608-PAX-West-2017-Questions-for-English-Localization-Lead-Michael-Christopher-Koji-Fox?p=4367848&viewfull=1#post4367848

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Kage - 08-30-2017

REMINDER!
THE LIVE LETTER IS Friday 10:30pm (PDT)!

The LORE AND LOCALIZATION PANEL (main reason this thread was posted)
is Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. (PDT)!!!!

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Silmanos - 08-30-2017

I really wish we could upvote a question more, cause there are a few I desperately want to know. That said I am looking forward to hopefully seeing one question answered that has the chance of ending the Doman/Hingan Language debate once and for all.

RE: PAX West 2017 - Questions for English Localization Lead Michael-Christopher Koji Fox - Sounsyy - 09-02-2017

*I've got a full recording of the lore panel that I will work on transcribing in full, as well as linking any additional questions they choose to answer on the forums at a later time. For now, I wanted to start with the questions that were asked on the forums and then I'll go back to the stuff mentioned in the first half+ of the panel.

- Anonymoose summarizes PAX Lore Answers

PAX West Lore Panel Forum Questions Wrote:Q: What is the role of the Garlean Consultate in Kugane? There are Garlean ships in port, do they trade in Kugane? And if so, what do they trade?

A: In addition to taking on the roll of a new consulate (as in seeing to imperial affairs in the area as well as representing the people from Garlemald in the area), Garlemald really has no interest in annexing Hingashi. They're all about taking areas in Ilsabard and Othard, and trying to get into Aldenard, but they're more interested in the continents. They don't care so much about little island nations. But the reason that they're there is because it's a perfect location due to the situation in Doma and they want to keep a close eye on it. So by having this presence in Hingashi it lets them do that at a safe distance.

Also Garlemald lines its coffers. They pay for all of their campaigns by selling their technology. So like their airship technology, some of their magitek technology - of course not any of the good stuff, not like the cybernetic arms and things... (Bayohne: Spoilers!) ...but the airships. They already see the Garlond Ironworks selling that and if they can get in and lower the price they can get more people to buy that stuff then they get the gold, jewels, and silver that they can use to fund their war. They don't really buy anything back, it's more that they're just selling to get that gold.

Q: In game Lyse states her sister Yda was killed 6 years ago. Was this before the events of 1.x series or during? Has Lyse always been the Yda we have known?

A: Yes, Lyse has always been the Yda that you have known. The Yda you know was never Yda. The only time you saw the real Yda though was if you played 1.0, in those Echo flashbacks, especially that first one you see in Gridania. That is the real Yda.

Q: What would happen to a Qestir tribe member that chose to speak? Would they be punished in some way?

A: For those who don't know, the Qestir refuse to speak, they don't say anything. There are a couple reasons: They can't speak because they've never learned to speak. Their children are raised basically in silence and it's not until they're six, seven, eight, nine, ten years old when they finally actually hear language when they leave the tribe and maybe visit Reunion or maybe someone comes to their tribe to speak and trade with them. This is the first time that they actually hear speech. These children are being raised without hearing any vowels, any consonants, nothing at all. So they don't know how to speak. Even if they wanted to, it would come out in a [groaning noise] type of sounds.

That said, even if one tried really hard to speak, would they be punished in some way? They wouldn't be punished, per say, but the Qestir don't speak for a specific reason. That reason being that they believe all spoken word to be lies. If they did speak in the presence of the tribe, the rest of the tribe would think this guy's a liar. He'd be ostracized a liar, everything he said would be lies and you'd never believe him anymore. They wouldn't be kicked out, per say, but they would be liars.

Q: Does "Doman" or "Hingan" exist as completely separate languages? Would speaking Japanese in-game count as speaking "Hingan"?

A: First question, no, they are not exactly separate languages. You can think of them kinda as American English and British English. The first one being that origin language, the second one being of that land going to another land, using that language, but being separated long enough that words and pronunciations started changing a little bit. People from both lands will pretty much understand what both are saying.

As for whether speaking Japanese in the game equates to Hingan, I mean, that one's kinda tough. I mean, Japanese users kinda already speak Japanese in the game, but that kinda equates to Eorzean, which is Japanese to the Japanese version, but then Hingan is almost indiscernible from Eorzean. And the Japanese version both being Japanese, so if a Japanese user in the English uses the Japanese, is he speaking Eorzean or is he speaking Hingan...? Whatever! Let's just say using Romajified Japanese on the English client is Hingan... or not, you decide. Hai.

Q: There is a weird fan theory that Roegadyn Kids look like Hyur due to the Roegadyn Father and Hyur Son found in the gold saucer. Are Roe and hyur kids the same? What do Roegadyn Kids look like?

A: Okay, there's actually a really sad story behind this... so like, orphaned after this terrible accident involving a poisoned plate of [food dish] and a Amalj'aa spy... okay, that's just another time, we're not gonna talk about that. The Hyur child is not a son of the Roegadyn, he's an orphan son, so he's an adopted son. I asked Oda-san why aren't there any Roegadyn children because you have everything else. Roegadyn are gonna come out! And then Stormblood and oh... Au Ra children... okay? I mean, Roegadyn have been around a lot longer. You'd think it'd be our turn. So I asked Oda about this and he was just livid. "I've been petitioning for four years to get Roegadyn children in the game! Why do the devs hate Roegadyn so much!?" He played Galka in XI, he plays Roegadyn in XIV. He's been lobbying for Roegadyn children since time eternal. Every time, for whatever reason, dev team says they'll do that one next or maybe someday. He's gonna keep lobbying and someday we're gonna see a child Roegadyn. I mean, he already has the design ready. "I've already told the art team, they're gonna be like super buff on top and have like really thin legs. So kinda like little tiny macho man Randy Savages. Okay, maybe he didn't say that, but that's kinda what I heard when he told me. Next question. (Bayohne: This is gonna come back and bite us.)

Q: How did the Gelmorran civilization actually come to an end?

A: This is a really good question and something that we haven't touched upon. In the lore book we pretty much say that here's what happened, here's when it ended, kind of, when people left, but we never talked about that process. Why did it end? If half of the Elezen are still down there, the ones who became the Duskwights, why didn't they just stay down there? So how did that civilization end?

First off, Gelmorra worked. When the elementals first told the Elezen and the Hyur who resided in the Twelveswood "you need to get out now", they all went underground and created the Gelmorran civilization. That was created not just by the Elezen and not just by the Hyur, it was a combination of both of their knowledge. Because they worked together they were able to create this civilization and because they worked together it worked. Many many years later when the elementals had second thoughts, "okay you guys have shown us that you can live peacefully amongst nature you can come out now." The Hyur were the first to leave. Then the Elezen who were happy to go back out into nature where they used to live. But, by that time for a large population that had become their home, and the Elezen having a lot of pride said "no, this is our home. The elementals already kicked us out once, we made this, this is our home. We want to stay here."

They felt betrayed by their Elezen brethren and the Hyur that had helped them create the city. Being very prideful of their city and their civilization, they stuck around and tried to keep things running. But you had a giant city underground that needed pretty much everyone in it to keep it running. But when 75% of the population leaves, things start to decay. They tried their hardest, but things started to break down. Things couldn't be fixed. They couldn't make new things. Not enough people were there to tend to the Mun-tuy farms so they started running low on food. Even though they wanted to stay, they were forced out. They still blame that on the Wildwood Elezen and the Hyur because if they hadn't left they still would've had their civilization. The loss of their civilization wasn't instant, it happened over many generations, and it was something that really drove the Duskwights to hate the Wildwoods. The Wildwoods couldn't understand why they were hated, and that's where all of the "subtle" conflict between those two clans within the same race comes from.

Q: Why is there another Halicarnassus in Deltascape?

A: Omega creates renditions of things in the stories he's gathered. It's all about the data and from that data creating something. That's what the Deltascape is. The Halicarnassus in Haukke Manor is named such because a regular person who just happened to be walking by the Manor thought "that looks like Halicarnassus from the story I read when I was young!" ...not knowing if it was Halicarnassus or not, they just named it that. The Halicarnassus in Deltascape is actually built up of all of the stories of Halicarnassus from Eorzea made up of that data. So it actually can be said that the Halicarnassus in Deltascape more closely represents the Halicarnassus that existed or not existed in Eorzea-in-the-past that we haven't actually seen.