Hydaelyn Role-Players
Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? (/showthread.php?tid=20549)

Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - FloppyDingo - 09-09-2017

In the MSQ it's hinted that Yugiri leaving Sui No Sato ended with her being "banished" from it in a way - told to never return by the Ruby Princess, and this has sparked a debate among me and a friend.

Does this mean Raen cannot go back to Sui No Sato if they leave? Are outsiders unwelcome there still? Or has that changed? I said it -could- maybe be a Warrior of Light thing - that they're cool with the WOL because of who he/she is, but it might be open to others now.

RE: Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - LiadansWhisper - 09-09-2017

(09-09-2017, 05:23 PM)FloppyDingo Wrote: In the MSQ it's hinted that Yugiri leaving Sui No Sato ended with her being "banished" from it in a way - told to never return by the Ruby Princess, and this has sparked a debate among me and a friend.

Does this mean Raen cannot go back to Sui No Sato if they leave? Are outsiders unwelcome there still? Or has that changed? I said it -could- maybe be a Warrior of Light thing - that they're cool with the WOL because of who he/she is, but it might be open to others now.

They're not really cool with the Warrior of Light. As I recall, they tell you to leave immediately. It's just, shit is happening with the Ruby Princess, so that kind of gets sidetracked.

RE: Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - Kellach Woods - 09-09-2017

From my understanding, once you leave and see the outside world, you are essentially persona non grata.

RE: Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - Arashin Kujqai - 09-09-2017

I always figured it was considered their pure/untouched/sanctuary that doesn't want to put up with issues or problems. So I figure they're not okay with anyone who leaves to come back under the assumption they'd bring back trouble or some issue that would result in the realm attracting more unwanted issues. I'm sure you could write some way that could allow them to not mind you returning for whatever reason.

If anything, could go the Aladdin route and disguise yourself like Jasmine does, leaving the city in secret then returning like normal. Creativity could go a long way in some areas I bet.

RE: Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - Sounsyy - 09-09-2017

(09-09-2017, 05:23 PM)FloppyDingo Wrote: In the MSQ it's hinted that Yugiri leaving Sui No Sato ended with her being "banished" from it in a way - told to never return by the Ruby Princess, and this has sparked a debate among me and a friend.

Here's the quote:

Ihanami Wrote:It all began when she was a little girl. She and another child crept out of the village, having grown curious about the outside world. To Doma they went, where they met a young boy─a proud son of Yanxia. His tales of imperial oppression left a lasting impression on her. When she returned, she spoke passionately of the Domans' plight and urged us to take the boy in. But my wife and I would not hear of it.

We thought the matter closed, but she never forgot his words. She became convinced that the Garleans would one day come for us. And it was in search of the strength to defend us that she left, years later, to learn the ways of the shinobi... When the then Ruby Princess learned of this, she forbade Yugiri's return, lest she bring misfortune to us all.

I think the banishment has more to do with the fact that Yugiri left to learn the arts of war and was attempting to go against the Ruby Princess's anti-violence stance her people have maintained for generations. Sui-no-Sato was founded by Raen wishing to escape the violence spreading across Othard that drove them from their ancestral homes.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Believing themselves the children of the Dawn Father, the forebears of the Raen left behind their homeland to settle across Othard. They were received with hatred and hostility by other races in the early years, until a prominent warlord of Yanxia, impressed with their valor, forged an alliance with the strange race and took them on as retainers. Before long, the Raen had assumed a prominent role as warriors in the service of countless great warlords.
Sasanami Wrote:Long ago, we - the Raen - were driven from our ancestral home. Our forefathers sought refuge here under the sea and thus the humble but peaceful village of Sui-no-Sato came into existence.
Shiosai Wrote:...Sui-no-Sato is our sanctuary. Under the benevolent leadership of the Ruby Princess, sovereign of Shisui, we Raen enjoy humble yet fulfilling lives. But it was not always so. Long ago, our forebears were driven from their ancestral homes. Beneath the waters, they sought refuge from the ravages of war, and here flourished. All that we are - our culture, our traditions - was born of the sea.

Though we have engaged others in diplomacy, it has been with the utmost caution. Isolation and independence are essential to preserving our way of life. So it was when Doma fell twenty-five years past. The Ruby Princess, in her wisdom, decreed that we would take no part. As it was, so ever shall it be.

(09-09-2017, 05:23 PM)FloppyDingo Wrote: Does this mean Raen cannot go back to Sui No Sato if they leave?

I think it's more that Raen just rarely leave, and usually only do so to trade, hunt, or gather. As with Yugiri and her childhood friend, who left out of curiosity of the world beyond, when they returned they were not banished. It wasn't until years later when Yugiri left for war that she earned her banishment.

Aogami Wrote:Do not tell me you are surprised to learn I am from Sui-no-Sato? While it is true that we rarely stray far from our small underwater village, we do occasionally go out to collect food.
Kurenai Wrote:While Sui-no-Sato has for the most part isolated itself from the rest of the world, we have had scant dealings with the Kojin of the Blue. This, however, will be my first time visiting their village.

Kansui Wrote:Every night, as the moon reaches its zenith, the winds will carry the mellifluous sound of a woman singing. The other evening I tried to learn where it was coming from and came across a beautiful woman, with long black hair. As soon as I made to approach her, however, she took to the waters and disappeared in the direction of Onokoro. My father insists it was simply a dream, but I know better. This lovely lady─she is a pirate, I am certain of it.
Suidiva Wrote:You have come here on behalf of a young man searching for the woman who sings in the moonlight? <sigh> Had I known anyone was watching I would have quit long ago. From now on I shall be avoiding that area. Please, tell your friend to forget about me. He and I─we come from two different worlds. It would never work. Let him know he shan't ever be seeing me again.
Kansui Wrote:So the maiden with black hair, she was from Sui-no-Sato? <sigh> She is right. Our worlds─our differences─they are irreconcilable.

So yes, Raen can and do leave Sui-no-Sato more or less regularly. No strings attached. They just can't pull a Mulan.

(09-09-2017, 05:23 PM)FloppyDingo Wrote: Are outsiders unwelcome there still? Or has that changed? I said it -could- maybe be a Warrior of Light thing - that they're cool with the WOL because of who he/she is, but it might be open to others now.

It's hard to say, for a few reasons. Firstly, the residents of Sui-no-Sato are incredibly wary of outsiders. Even when it's mentioned that you were sent by the Kojin, some of Sui-no-Sato's few allies, you're still not given leniency.

Alisaie Wrote:I daresay one of the locals will be able to point us in his direction. Though...now that I look around, I get the distinct impression we are not welcome here...
Shiosai Wrote:...Leave this place and never return. We have no need of wide-eyed wanderers... The Kojin of the Blue sent you hither, did they? We will suffer no outside troubles in our sanctuary. Especially those of would-be treasure hunters. I can do naught to aid you. I say to you again, leave this place and never return.

Regardless of your intentions, it is not my place to break with tradition. I must consider the wishes of all who call Sui-no-Sato home. For me to defy their will and permit outsiders to remain would be a gross betrayal of my responsibilities. Please do not ask this of me.

As with all things storyline, we eventually earn their trust by helping out the residents with their troubles. The biggest one being the Ruby Princess storyline, which is what eventually gives us the quote below. On the one hand, this is WoL literally saving the lives of the Ruby Princesses and supposedly everyone in Sui-no-Sato. On the other, "Sui-no-Sato is forever changed" could mean that after all of the WoL's adventures there, the submarine town is a little more open-minded towards outsiders? Possibly?

Shiosai Wrote:While I will ask that you say your farewells to her here, I do hope that this is not the last you will see of each other. I have watched Her Highness blossom into an intelligent and capable young lady under your care. It has made me think that being sequestered in a castle is not the best way to raise our rulers. You have saved us in more ways than I can count and taught us so much. Sui-no-Sato is forever changed because of you. Thank you. Thank you for everything.

Regardless of whether Sui-no-Sato is any more welcoming to outsiders or not, the more pressing matter is how would more outsiders ever actually reach Sui-no-Sato in the first place? It's at the bottom of the Ruby Sea, safely hidden from all but the Kojin for several hundred years. Apparently the Confederacy is aware of the town's existence, but have no clue where exactly it is, nor are they able to reach it. And they're the rulers of the Ruby Sea!

Night Watchguard Wrote:You will have no luck finding her, though. The girl you speak of─she is from Sui-no-Sato. It is a village that lies at the bottom of the sea. No one can tell you where it is or how to get there. Even if they could, you would likely drown trying to swim there. If you have devised a way to breathe underwater, then you might be able to make it there. If not, you best give up on your search.
Kurenai Wrote:You see, while we have next to no contact with the outside world, we do receive the occasional visit from the Kojin of the Blue.

(Obviously, this issue can be skirted/handwaved.) Another Kojin ritual can be performed by the Blue elder after gathering the requisite materials, though this presents the issue of getting an audience with said elder, knowing where the Kojin village is, and getting onto the Isle of Bekko - which is apparently a place the Confederacy and the Hingashi don't risk going.

Soroban Wrote:Drowning? Fear not. There is a ritual I can perform to imbue your bodies with a powerful blessing. But first, you must prepare offerings for the sea.
Motogoe Wrote:The item I would have you search for can only be found on remote islands. Most sane men would avoid such places, as they are often overrun with all manner of terrible beasts, but you look like you would relish the challenge. I would have you go to the Isle of Bekko. The only individuals that dare set foot upon its soils are the occasional Kojin of the Blue who enter and exit the neighboring seas.

Alternatively, there have been the occasional Sui-no-Sato Raen who's whisked away a lovestruck landlubber to their deep-sea home. Even without a Kojin blessing, I feel like 19th century deep sea suits made of clockwork or magitek wouldn't be too farfetched of an invention if you needed to lorebend a little?

Kansui Wrote:So the maiden with black hair, she was from Sui-no-Sato? <sigh> She is right. Our worlds─our differences─they are irreconcilable. ...Perhaps my father was right. Maybe I was chasing a dream, after all. You see, one of my ancestors was once asked to save an injured Kojin by a girl from Sui-no-Sato. In return for his help, they took him underwater to voyage its depths. He never returned. No doubt he was devoured by some gruesome sea monster. As such, it is probably for the best that things ended this way.
Fisherman Wrote:Once upon a time, there was a fisherman on the island of Onokoro who saved a Kojin of the Blue from the maws of a terrible beast. As thanks, the Kojin offered him a vial of liquid. When taken, it would allow the fisherman to plunge into the far depths of the ocean without drowning. It was there that their journey together began. They visited temples, palaces, and villages under the sea. They met all manner of men, women, and creatures... including a beautiful princess, who had fallen into a deep, deep slumber. According to her people, she had been like that for years.

Hearing this, the Kojin pulled out another vial containing an ancient Tamamizu potion, which had been passed down to him from his great-grandfather. Or perhaps his great-great-grandfa─ Ahem. To continue with the story, upon being given this mixture the princess was instantly awakened. The moment their eyes met, she and the fisherman fell in love. They were immediately wed in a palace at the bottom of the sea, where they lived happily ever after.
Shiosai Wrote:A tale in which a Hyuran fisherman and a princess were brought together by a Kojin and wed in a palace under the sea...? I believe generations back, a Ruby Princess and a Hyuran man were once joined in holy matrimony. The son they bore was said to have had almost no scales. Until now, I had considered it to merely be a tall tale spun by the elders for their grandchildren. Yet, it is possible that the story is true.

Anyroad, hope this helps clear up some stuff! ^^

RE: Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - Pioneer - 09-12-2017

I always felt that if you left you weren't exactly welcomed back.

Side question though, all Raen aren't from Sui no Sato are they?  I never played mine as an under the sea sort.  In fact ICly she's made a joke about her grandmother claiming to have been from a magical underwater village where you could breathe the water and live with the fish.  She followed up with a declarations of her grandmothers loose grip on reality.

RE: Can Raen Return to Sui No Sato? - Sounsyy - 09-12-2017

(09-12-2017, 04:03 AM)Pioneer Wrote: Side question though, all Raen aren't from Sui no Sato are they?

Nope! When the Raen were driven from their homelands they settled across Othard, notably in the Yanxia region, which would become Doma in time. It is said that they faced discrimination here for some time, but were eventually accepted by the Yanxian peoples. Raen not only dove beneath the Ruby Sea, but sailed across it, settling on the island chain that would become Hingashi. So your Raen could trace their origins from these places if Sui-no-Sato isn't your cup of tea!