Hydaelyn Role-Players
Retconning a Red Mage - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Retconning a Red Mage (/showthread.php?tid=20576)

Retconning a Red Mage - TeeBeeDee - 09-12-2017

Hi, I started playing my character, Tzain Nival, for the first time since before patch 2.1. When I returned i got the expansion and really fell for the Red Mage. Tzain was already a 50 White Mage and a 50 Black Mage.

But when I was antiquating myself with the Lore I was reminded that being a White Mage or a Black Mage and NOT being the Warrior of Light (Which i have no intention of claiming to be in RP terms) is essentially illegal. 

So my thought is, What if I was a Red Mage all along? And on occassions when I'm playing white mage healer I'm really just utilizing the Red Magic skills to enhance my conjuration.

Basically, I started in the Conjurer guild, then studied at Thaumaturgy. Then had the bright idea of using all 6 elements. The Red Mage trainer finds me, thinks this is hysterical given how I'm going about it Geek. And decides to show me how it's really done. In the process showing me White and Black Magic. Learning the spells of White Magic and having a background in Conjuration would make me a pseudo-white mage.  Although I think that I should act like doing it without balancing with black magic is a strain over time.

Anyway, does this sound feasible with the lore? The description of Red Magic only says it allows me to accelerate my aether to cast spells using my personal reserves that would normally require elementals or tapping the land. Or Maybe I just haven't followed the questline far enough, I'm just barely started on that. 

Thanks muchley,
Tzain Nival - Balmung

RE: Retconning a Red Mage - Maia - 09-12-2017

For what it's worth, I think it sounds reasonable enough! The Red Mage quest giver doesn't really seem to have any qualms with teaching the art to those who have potential (from what I understand.)

A background in Thaumaturgy and Conjury also seems fine. It's safest to avoid White Mage/White Magic and Black Mage/Black Magic, since both of these jobs are pretty special and not universally accepted in all RP circles. Not that I'm saying you have to care about that, but I reckon if you're asking about Red Mage's feasibility, you care at least a little bit!

Hope this helps to assuage any doubts. Moogle

RE: Retconning a Red Mage - TeeBeeDee - 09-12-2017

Ok, so I'm not stepping blindly into a minefield. Good to know. Thank you!

RE: Retconning a Red Mage - Nebbs - 09-12-2017

Hmm, well I would start by being clear what the character is aside from any class/job (personally I'd just avoid those anyhow). That way you can probably keep the core/essence and just change the flavor. 

So Mage/Caster, knows a bit of this and that, and finds that Red mage training works best for them? No reason you cant do some Thaumaturge and Conjure too.

RE: Retconning a Red Mage - Valence - 09-14-2017

Well to start I think it's good to point out that there is no absolute black and white with access to jobs in the lore, and it ultimately boils down to personal suspension of disbelief and how far you as a roleplayer is ready to thread.

First white magic or succor is a lost art, like most jobs, that has been closely kept by a few chosen padjals. As you know only the WoL seems to be the exception that eventually got taught by Raya and A'Runh through the soulstone of A'Towa Cant. So it's probably rhe hardest job to get into, but then, isnt't there any other amdapori soulstone left somewhere? One that your character could have won the lottery at and found in what's left of Amdapor? Or maybe they just loved learning about forbidden arts in libraries, maybe Sharlayan or Ishgardian... ? Providing they are talented enough to follow it or just access to the soulstone knowledge in the first place?

As for black magic, which is also restricted by being highly illegal, can be cast by anybody with enough power and knowing its arcane spells, as seen in the HW blm quests... At the expense of cooking yourself from the inside or be hunted by various law abidding people like the Stillglade Fane 'police'. Unless again, you somehow manage to stumble on one of those rare Mhachi soulstones, a gem of Shattoto.

Red Magic is ultimately not much different. It thrived before the Mad King and the Garlean invasion, but seems to have disappeared still, long ago. It was revived by the Rdm trainer and his friend Lambard to be used as a weapon for their Crimson Duellists. Well, only that trainer seems to have survived so... Going through him is a possibility of course... Or like for the two other magics well... It's possible to learn about it by yourself in libraries, since we know that red magic has texts about it in Ishgard, possibly Sharlayan as well, and that the monolith pyramid in the Peaks used to be a repository for red mages, albeit plundered and left abandonned by now (and infested by flesh eating qiquirns).

So, your options for all 3 magics are here. It's up to you if they feel too specific or special to your taste or not, really.

Also red mages can very well use aether from the land and Hydaelyn if they choose, much like blm and whm, but they chose not to morally is all.

RE: Retconning a Red Mage - TeeBeeDee - 09-14-2017

(09-14-2017, 04:13 AM)Valence Wrote: snip: Other ways to obtain a soul gem

Yeah, the original idea I had for White Mage job (and I've basically abandoned it in favor of the "Red Mage using White Magic to heal") was this.

While in haukke manor (the once home of the Seedseers), Tzain finds a well preserved book. Inside the book are pages of almost incomprehensible ideas. Imagine one of those really trippy self help things written by someone on way too much lsd. Tzain keeps studying it however and starts to figure out the concepts inside. Concepts that teach white magic. Turns out the binding of the book has a soul gem in it, the soul gem was made by the author of the book. So the White Mage book acts as a trainer and the soul stone acts like a decryption key. Allowing the reader to slowly interpret the spells as they become acclimated to the white mage soul gem. So the unique thing about the reader isn't so much "super special potential" as it is "curiosity", which may appeal to someone out there.

I'm not going to use that idea, so I'm leaving it here in case someone else wants it.

Also, thank you for the tidbit that a Red Mage *could* tap the land in an emergency. Adds an interesting little nugget.

Now at some point I'll actually put this all together and RP again.