Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Mikky's Barber Shop! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Mikky's Barber Shop! (/showthread.php?tid=20657)

Pages: 1 2

Mikky's Barber Shop! - Strawberrycake - 09-26-2017

[Image: uZozJZi.png]

Yes! This an IC barber shop and lounge, trying to channel the idea of the classic barber, in the era where it was a place for socialization and camaraderie, not solely haircuts. We will be open on the
First and Third Wednesdays of each month, unless stated otherwise, from 7:00 pm est till 10:00 or so.
Appointments can also be made by messaging me on here- this lovely site I never use, or in-game on Mikh'a Galanai.
The shop is located in The Lavender Beds, the 11th ward, subdivision apartment 1.

Are you best man at a wedding and just now realizing that scraggly ponytail isn't gonna cut it?
Are you tired of your husband's lack of care for his scruffy appearance?
Are you proud of your hair, and want someone who you can rely on to keep it that way, week by week?
Are you going off to fight the Garleans abroad and want to sport a spiffy new haircut before you're on your way?
All these questions and more can be fixed at Mikky's Barber Shop!

The Barber
[Image: EfDajQ1.png]

Mikky's is a barber shop, so Mikky himself specializes in doing traditionally male haircuts- short, neat, and clean. A piece of parchment is nailed to the back of the front door, depicting his "menu," the common hairstyles he's ready to do on a dime. Just say the name, and he'll get right on it.

**The Menu**

That's not to say he's not gonna cut your hair if it doesn't fit within those set parameters- he'll listen and do his best to the type of look you're going for. If you don't have a clue, he will always default to "the classic."

Things not to ask for: long hair. He can cut long hair off and give you something short, but he doesn't have the training to properly cut and style long hair, and will refuse service, as he knows he wouldn't be able to perform his best. Dyeing as well, is something not to ask for- he doesn't have any on hand and isn't professionally trained in how to use them.

[Image: smvowG1.png]

Mikh'a is willing to women's hair, as well, but again, in the vein of his traditional barber training- short styles only.

[Image: 5DJjhNz.png]

Appointments must be made if one wishes a haircut, except during the two times a month that walk-in hours are present. We can do groups, but they must book in advance. We're fully prepared to cater to a full party, be it for wedding preparations, Grand Company events, or any other formal event or occasion.

The Lounge
[Image: 1ivyFKe.png]

Barber shops need not only be about haircuts. They are sanctuaries for chatting, drinking, and generally getting along. We keep a fully stocked bar, with one complimentary drink per cut (though you're free and encouraged to perhaps buy a second or third).

There is plenty of room to kick back, relax, and just talk about whatever. We have the waiting area, as well as tables in the back, if one needs to do some paperwork outside of the office, or perhaps wishes to challenge another patron in Triple Triad (Disclaimer: I don't actually have a Triple Triad board. Yet.)

The bar and sitting areas are NPC manned, and thus open at any time if players wish to stop by if Mikky is out, or offline. The bartender is a hulking Au Ra with, oddly, a thick Lominsan accent. He calls himself Drake.

The Shop
Mikky not only cuts hair, but makes his own homemade pomade, currently entitled Mikk's Slicks-
a terrible name that he made the mistake of ordering far too many tins engraved with it on. His biggest regret.
It's got a pretty decent shine to it though, and holds your hair in place like nothing else, guaranteed!

Happy Customers!
~

OOC

Unfortunately, Square Enix does not let you use other peoples' aesthetician barber poles! Even though there's a whole "accessibility" menu in housing.
Thus, the cut can be rp'd, but than customers must run to the nearest accessible one (probably a port to the inn in Gridania and back). Yeah, it kinda sucks. Oh well.Dodgy

Connections!
A barber is one cool thing, sure, but it's much more fun with connections! There -are- currently two barber chairs in Mikky's shop, so we could hire another barber- or perhaps an apprentice!
A stylist contact would be really cool, too! To do all the hair stuff Mikky can't. They could even be the ones to control the empty chair!
Drinks! You may have noticed there is no drink menu. That's because Mikky's is a very small business, and would like to promote other small businesses! If you have a company or business making your own drinks (preferably alcoholic, of course, lol), we'll stock it!
Other craftsmen and stuff! Perhaps a tailor, clothes designer, seamstress? Other aesthetic-based careers and occupations. Would be super cool to be hired by a group for their big formal event, and have the hair, clothes, decorations, and catering all be outsourced to different IC shops and companies!

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Maia - 09-26-2017

Omg, I've been playing an "aspiring aesthetician" on my alt for a great many months now, and this idea is the bee's knees!

She mainly thrives off of individual appointments, peddling around a "salonist cart" and making house calls. She even has an IC appointment for RP tonight, in fact!

She can do dye, extensions, and makeup, although her biggest flaw is that she has a difficult time reigning in "her vision" sometimes. I won't volunteer her as a staffer right now in case someone else wants to fit the bill with their main instead of an alt, but...

1.) Just wanted to say this was an awesome idea.

2.) Something I optionally do for her private salonist appointments is, I have the person send me their character's appearance file. Then, I change the name of it and stick it into the correct FFXIV folder. Then, I have a "just used a Fantasia but haven't confirmed the change" alt on standby, so I load the data appearance onto her. THEN, I change everything that an aesthetician could while using those character settings, take a few pictures of the exact selections, and send those pictures to the client/victim so they OoC know exactly what she did to them.

I know that sounds convoluted, but in practice, it's actually been a lot of fun on both sides! My RP partner is often pleasantly surprised by their IC/OoC makeover, and I have tons of fun editing the character models of my RP friends. If he ever evolves into new techniques or hires someone who can can do a smattering of little things, it could be an idea to enact someday for his shop. XD

(Disclaimer: If sharing the character appearance is against the ToS, I'll take my yellow card and remove the suggestion so no one gets hounded by the fuzz!)

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Xiou Ren - 09-26-2017

This looks great!! You did a really fantastic job on the screenies and everything Big Grin You know Xiou will go over to you if she needs her hair cut short (which is quite often). 

((Also bonus, hi Maia!!))

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Strawberrycake - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 06:22 PM)Maia Wrote: Omg, I've been playing an "aspiring aesthetician" on my alt for a great many months now, and this idea is the bee's knees!

She mainly thrives off of individual appointments, peddling around a "salonist cart" and making house calls. She even has an IC appointment for RP tonight, in fact!

She can do dye, extensions, and makeup, although her biggest flaw is that she has a difficult time reigning in "her vision" sometimes. I won't volunteer her as a staffer right now in case someone else wants to fit the bill with their main instead of an alt, but...

1.) Just wanted to say this was an awesome idea.

2.) Something I optionally do for her private salonist appointments is, I have the person send me their character's appearance file. Then, I change the name of it and stick it into the correct FFXIV folder. Then, I have a "just used a Fantasia but haven't confirmed the change" alt on standby, so I load the data appearance onto her. THEN, I change everything that an aesthetician could while using those character settings, take a few pictures of the exact selections, and send those pictures to the client/victim so they OoC know exactly what she did to them.

I know that sounds convoluted, but in practice, it's actually been a lot of fun on both sides! My RP partner is often pleasantly surprised by their IC/OoC makeover, and I have tons of fun editing the character models of my RP friends. If he ever evolves into new techniques or hires someone who can can do a smattering of little things, it could be an idea to enact someday for his shop. XD

(Disclaimer: If sharing the character appearance is against the ToS, I'll take my yellow card and remove the suggestion so no one gets hounded by the fuzz!)

That sounds really complicated but super fun!!!! Maybe I'll ask you to give Mikky a makeover Cool

But that's really neat they got similar job types- if he knew your alt, he could totally recommend her to customers he couldn't help! Or maybe call her in as a guest occasionally!

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Maia - 09-26-2017

(09-26-2017, 10:17 PM)Strawberrycake Wrote: That sounds really complicated but super fun!!!! Maybe I'll ask you to give Mikky a makeover Cool

But that's really neat they got similar job types- if he knew your alt, he could totally recommend her to customers he couldn't help! Or maybe call her in as a guest occasionally!

Oh dang, that might actually work! If you want to do an RP, she's actually very easy to find/call since she leaves her card everywhere. Or she could poke her head into the shop to stare at the various hair products, because #priorities.

If you'd like a real live RP between the two, feel free to send me a site PM at your leisure! No rush or pressure if you're busy though - I mainly just wanted to say how cool I thought this idea was, haha.

((Also bonus hello to Xiou who is good people ♥ ))

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Gene Treno - 09-27-2017

This is a fab idea! I only wish I could make it and pop into the salon for a trim and shave but due to timezone constraints it'd only really be feasible in the holidays.

Wishing you the best of luck with this Mikky!

P.S That cheesy over-enthused gaping smile is the best thing i've seen in a while. Big Grin

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Erah'sae - 10-01-2017

This is an extremely unique idea.  I love it.  And I've snuck it into the calendar to help promote it.

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Strawberrycake - 10-02-2017

(10-01-2017, 09:43 PM)Erahsae Wrote: This is an extremely unique idea.  I love it.  And I've snuck it into the calendar to help promote it.

Ayyy thanks! Boost though that opening day is this week! Love to see anyone there; remember haircuts aren't mandatory lol- feel free to stop in, say hi, grab a drink, chat a while!

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Flora - 10-02-2017

Homgg I am so excited about this whole concept. I will definitely hit you up about this!

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Strawberrycake - 10-04-2017

Opening night is tonight! Hope to see people there!

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Maia - 10-04-2017

Great event! Super fun! Thank you for running it Moogle

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Flora - 10-04-2017

AAAAAA this was so much fun!! Thank you for running this, this was such a chill event-- I'll have either Klaus or his daughter come back next time! <3

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Strawberrycake - 10-04-2017

Thanks guys!!!!! It was indeed really fun!! About five people showed up altogether- definitely enough to keep rp going all the way from 7, opening time, until 10, closing time! I'd call that a success for a small little thing like this! Will be open again in two weeks!

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Strawberrycake - 10-18-2017

Guess what's back!! It's on the rp calendar too so I doubt I'll bump this again in the future, but ayyy!

RE: Mikky's Barber Shop! - Maia - 10-18-2017

I'm not on Discord so I'm glad for the reminder, haha. I'll try to make it, but will be late because RL is bleh. T___T