Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? (/showthread.php?tid=20684)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - jupiknight - 10-23-2017

People that post emotes at me solely in PM's, and don't bother with local. Yeah, I know what you want, and I'm not interested lmao ✌

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Faye - 10-23-2017

(10-23-2017, 04:48 PM)jupiknight Wrote: People that post emotes at me solely in PM's, and don't bother with local. Yeah, I know what you want, and I'm not interested lmao ✌

^^^^^ I like to respond in /say or /em and see how many will actually reply there. Most just walk away, or come up with some probably BS complaint about how the other two people RPing in the room are too much chat scroll for them to handle and immediately move on and target the next closest female character.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - jupiknight - 10-23-2017

(10-23-2017, 06:22 PM)Faye Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 04:48 PM)jupiknight Wrote: People that post emotes at me solely in PM's, and don't bother with local. Yeah, I know what you want, and I'm not interested lmao ✌

^^^^^ I like to respond in /say or /em and see how many will actually reply there. Most just walk away, or come up with some probably BS complaint about how the other two people RPing in the room are too chat scroll for them to handle and immediately move on and target the next closest female character.
E x a c t l y.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Zhavi - 10-24-2017

(10-23-2017, 06:22 PM)Faye Wrote:

^^^^^ I like to respond in /say or /em and see how many will actually reply there. Most just walk away, or come up with some probably BS complaint about how the other two people RPing in the room are too much chat scroll for them to handle and immediately move on and target the next closest female character.

If I'm hanging around reading peoples' rp and/or watching shows, sometimes I like to engage them in utterly meaningless and circular conversations until they get exasperated and stop replying. I think my record was somewhere between 2-3 hours. They never talk to me again after that. Sad

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Fearthainn - 10-25-2017

I can't do combat RP. I just can't let fate dictate the outcome on a dice roll while doing a vague description of getting elbowed in the face by the world's smallest Lalafell. That just makes me, out of it completely.

Now, if we're talking duels... That's Fine.

But /em attempts to kick you in the shins.
/roll / rng /whatever it is.
-person rolls a 1-
/em falls over flat on my face.

Can't. Just can't.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Faye - 10-25-2017

(10-25-2017, 10:55 AM)Fearthainn Wrote: I can't do combat RP. I just can't let fate dictate the outcome on a dice roll while doing a vague description of getting elbowed in the face by the world's smallest Lalafell. That just makes me, out of it completely.

-person rolls a 1-

Can't. Just can't.

You can do combat RP without rolls! Just takes a measure of trust and communication between everyone to be on the same page and not godmod.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Kismet - 10-25-2017

(10-25-2017, 10:55 AM)Fearthainn Wrote: I can't do combat RP. I just can't let fate dictate the outcome on a dice roll while doing a vague description of getting elbowed in the face by the world's smallest Lalafell. That just makes me, out of it completely.

-person rolls a 1-

Can't. Just can't.

Meanwhile, I'm the polar opposite on this. As much as I hate rolls and character sheet-based combat systems... I'd take those over someone who wants to resolve IC issues through PvP any day. Why? I've found that most people I've come across who prefer actual dueling to RPing out combat have made terrible impressions on me. To be frank, it simply seems to smack of a lack of writing proficiency. Those sorts of players are usually either way too serious about RP (see: letting OOC bleed into IC), not serious enough about RP (see: too casual for my tastes), or just have some have some other whackadoodle trait that makes them utterly insufferable.

Note: I know this likely doesn't apply to everyone that likes PvP-RP. It's just been my experience.

I also find the idea of the reasoning for preferring dueling over rolls (feeling like you have a lack of control over what's left to fate versus what your character is supposed to be capable of) to be somewhat ironic. If one person is exceptionally skilled at PvP (or is playing a class that has an obvious edge) and the other isn't... if you fall into the latter, how's that any different from having a shitty roll streak?

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Kerrath - 10-25-2017

edit: nvm, really off-topic. my post was in regards to roll systems, which is off topic.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Faye - 10-26-2017

(10-25-2017, 10:53 PM)Kismet Wrote: I also find the idea of the reasoning for preferring dueling over rolls (feeling like you have a lack of control over what's left to fate versus what your character is supposed to be capable of) to be somewhat ironic. If one person is exceptionally skilled at PvP (or is playing a class that has an obvious edge) and the other isn't... if you fall into the latter, how's that any different from having a shitty roll streak?

I think the idea of losing because you're worse at dueling (or playing the class with the disadvantage, or lower level, or whatever the case is) is at least easier to stomach for a lot of people than losing because of literal random chance. Also I wouldn't call it a lack of writing proficiency, I've known people who like to duel to pre-determine the winner then actually write out the fight, whereas in rolling you get situations that make no sense but happen anyway because that roll succeeded/failed, or people who just get exceptionally lazy because it's all based on the rolls, so who cares if the emotes are well-written/make sense/are fair. Buuut Kerrath raised a good point that this is probably getting off topic. >_>;

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Seye Qhesu - 10-26-2017

Going back to people who whisper emotes...

I do what Faye said and post in say to get them out but so many say they are suffering from anxiety and can't handle RP in public and I know not everyone is perfect so I do give them the benefit of the doubt.

It has happened a few times. At first, I was like, okay. Fair enough, right? Then the red flag would be how clingy they became or complain if you didn't reply in a few seconds (or spam post at you while in the middle of typing). Then one got angry at me when someone started to RP in say at me and I replied. How dare I!?

At this point I just avoid it all together. I get people suffer from anxiety but I shouldn't be forced in to my own attack just from trying to appease you.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Mermaid - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 01:20 AM)Seye Qhesu Wrote: Going back to people who whisper emotes...

I do what Faye said and post in say to get them out but so many say they are suffering from anxiety and can't handle RP in public and I know not everyone is perfect so I do give them the benefit of the doubt.

It has happened a few times. At first, I was like, okay. Fair enough, right? Then the red flag would be how clingy they became or complain if you didn't reply in a few seconds (or spam post at you while in the middle of typing). Then one got angry at me when someone started to RP in say at me and I replied. How dare I!?

At this point I just avoid it all together. I get people suffer from anxiety but I shouldn't be forced in to my own attack just from trying to appease you.

As someone who deals with a combination of anxiety and hating my own writing...that just blows my mind. How are you so timid that you can't RP in public but you're still ballsy enough to berate someone? Someone teach me this secret.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Fearthainn - 10-26-2017

It is not a lack of writing proficiency mind you. It is more that I can't see it.

If someone has it stated, that they are a fantastic swordsman ( Not godmodder ), and yet gets punked out by every complete stranger on the street because of the way the dice came down. It just takes me out of it. I'd rather see the person being able to prove it, than to watch a slow and arduous battle of the texts.

( Do note I've just woken up so, my mind isn't all there, but I hope I can explain it well enough still.. )

To me, this just comes across as nothing more than two people jumping over tables saying "pewpew" to each other, and that is why I can't do it nor want to do it, and if someone tries to get me into it, I've always said that it's one of the things I won't do because of this disconnect. I just find no enjoyment in it.

In Star Trek Online, I tried a modified variation that worked " slightly better " for me, which was to RP while fighting some enemies we came across so, for me personally that way is better. When you can do A, B and C so to say.

Everyone's different, after all.
I hope I made myself more clear now.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Kerrath - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 02:26 AM)Fearthainn Wrote: If someone has it stated, that they are a fantastic swordsman ( Not godmodder ), and yet gets punked out by every complete stranger on the street because of the way the dice came down. It just takes me out of it. I'd rather see the person being able to prove it, than to watch a slow and arduous battle of the texts.
dice rolls will decide if you win or lose, but not how you win or lose--and rp is all about your ability to improvise.

there's also no real effective way to 'prove' it.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Fearthainn - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 06:03 AM)Kerrath Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 02:26 AM)Fearthainn Wrote: If someone has it stated, that they are a fantastic swordsman ( Not godmodder ), and yet gets punked out by every complete stranger on the street because of the way the dice came down. It just takes me out of it. I'd rather see the person being able to prove it, than to watch a slow and arduous battle of the texts.
dice rolls will decide if you win or lose, but not how you win or lose--and rp is all about your ability to improvise.

there's also no real effective way to 'prove' it.

By actually fighting, you'd prove it.
That is why I can't, do dice rolls.

RE: Red Flags in RP/RP Partners? - Ramen - 10-26-2017

I'm reminded of when Omar Little dies near the end of the wire. The dude goes around town as this badass and when he walks down the street people yell OMARS COMING! But toward the end of the series Omar is killed off by this little kid while doing something simple like going to the store.

I mean sure you've got yourself a master swordsman but the way I see it while you've got your own story going. While you're the master swordsman there is someone else who is up and coming and such a fight doesn't have to end in you winning just because you say your character is better. A character always has room to be surprised. Dice combat is the great equalizer between you and a stranger. Sure it is unforgiving but it is better than getting into an argument with everyone you meet on the street cause you simply have to have the best character. If you don't want to lose in dice combat then get with like minded people who don't mind your character beating up theirs all the time.

I lose a lot of rolls, so do a lot of people I know who are older and more experienced badasses. Usually you try to let them have their moment to shine by making their victory as rewarding or interesting for them as you hope they'd make it for you. If it doesn't work out, whatever.