Hydaelyn Role-Players
Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project (/showthread.php?tid=20790)

Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Staccato - 10-20-2017

Hello fellow RPers and Community Members! 

Recently I've begun to RP a bard, a class and an in character role that I greatly enjoy.  However, I was disappointed to find how difficult it was to find resources on what would be considered somewhat widely known works in the manner of songs, poetry, or stories that my bard might have in her basic repertoire for RP.

As such, I've come up with the following idea that I would like to pursue:

An online repository of in game or in character created works of creativity (not character journals) that could be posted and indexed, and therefore easily searchable, on some manner of website that could be made accessible to the FFXIV and particularly the FFXIV RP community at large.  Think a library of all things ICly bardic and artistic.

The current idea would be to create perhaps a wiki for these works to be made accessible all, but initially allowing access to a small group at first to assist in posting and indexing known in game works to start.  Once a methodology has been established on how to sort each work by type, etc., and some content was posted and indexed, the website could be opened up to a larger population.  

Current criteria I had in mind for sorting out works would be as follows:
  • Title
  • Author
  • Region of Origin (Gridania, Ul'dah, Limsa, Kugane, Doma, etc)
  • Type (Song, Poem, Literature, Folk Tales, Theatre, etc)
  • Subtype (For example 'Type: Song, Subtype: Ballad)
  • Brief Summary of the Work
Thanks to a very patient community member (you know who you are - thank you VERY much once again!) I already have a good start on a number of in game resources, including songs sung by a number of NPCs. 

If interested in this project, please post to this thread or send me a PM! 

Thanks!

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Fearthainn - 10-25-2017

As someone who has a huge fondness for Bards ( and Amano style bardic-artwork, trust me, get a Thavinarian Turban ) and looking forward to patch 4.15 for the Perform abilities, I second this... 

Though I had to re-read this like five times to wrap my head around it since I, at first thought this was for player-made poems and songs but after re-reading it, it's all NPC stuff.. I'm afraid a wiki of this kind would be terribly small because it just isn't that much stuff in this world. It's quite lacking in certain aspects of it's world building.

But I still second this and I am here to give my opinion of:
Break a leg!

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Staccato - 10-26-2017

The idea would be to have an index of both player made and NPC created songs, poems, etc., that would be created by characters in game OR npcs - with tagged information delineating between NPC vs PC created works, region of origin, etc.  Things that would be commonly known or shared ICly. 

As for the NPC songs, books, etc., here's a copy of what's been collecred thus far (its currently disorganized, so pardon the mess).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VAD0TtUQAjVIvvm6yQsWEU4sKBaE3aKZYoJQUJMCfa8/edit?usp=drivesdk

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Staccato - 10-26-2017

Also, as a note.... i find it funny how once perform comes along, we aren't supposed to do any music thats not in game.  According to this list, When doves cry and Margaritaville are fair game.  Smile

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Fearthainn - 10-26-2017

(10-26-2017, 02:32 PM)Staccato Wrote: Also, as a note.... i find it funny how once perform comes along, we aren't supposed to do any music thats not in game.  According to this list, When doves cry and Margaritaville are fair game.  Smile

I haven't admittably been paying attention to how the Perform will work but..
Are you saying it's... a-auto-playing? Cry That we just pick a song..?
And not like in LOTRO where you yourself played the instruments..?

No, its not auto playing.   You have to figure out the notes yourself.  

However, i believe Yoshi-p cautioned the player based from emulating music that wasn't in game, more or less.  My argument is that if npcs are "singing" parodies of say... Margaritaville, then aren't we technically allowed to play that song in game once perform is available?

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Fearthainn - 10-26-2017

I am just confused now.

What do you mean 'emulating music not in the game'?
As for parodies, chalk it up to the translation team taking liberties perhaps.

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Yian Kutku - 10-27-2017

(10-26-2017, 05:47 PM)Fearthainn Wrote: What do you mean 'emulating music not in the game'?

Basically we're not supposed to use Perform to play songs from, say, the latest Top 40 Charts or something.

It's a copyright problem that nobody really wants to dig up at the moment. So to be safe, we're only supposed to Perform songs that are either already in the game somewhere (thus sidestepping the copyright issue), or that we came up with on our own and are willing to give it away without monetization.

There is, of course, no word on how strictly this will be enforced.

Staccato was primarily pointing out that certain songs from RL have been referenced in-game via localization parodies, so it's not clear whether this falls under "music that's already in-game", or "music from other non-game sources". Because the lyrics have changed to fit Eorzea, but the melody allegedly remains the same.

Personally I would assume these fall under the legal grey area of filks and other parodies, ie safe only as long as the authorities don't push it.

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Fearthainn - 10-27-2017

That sounds... enormously unwise of Square.
I'm not surprised of course that they latch onto their archaic business ideas like most other game developers.
And I sincerely doubt people will obey that guideline so to call it, since people made several themes from other stuff in LOTRO without repercussions as far as I know.

But the line that severely sends my red flags up in the air that you said was;
" ...we came up with on our own and are willing to give it away without monetization. "

Of course I don't know if it was your choiced words here or if they actually said it.
But if the latter.. Then that is concerning as %/#")(¤.

I haven't read or heard much about this but, can anyone play instruments or is it a Bard requirement?

---------------

Regardless, I think this is a good idea.

I thought it was a good idea before but now that I'm a bit more versed in your plan, I like it even better.

So my tip is to make a very userfriendly design that's very straight forward and easy to understand.
Too often have I stumbled across pages and wikia's that are absolutely atrocious.

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Mana Lily - 10-27-2017

I believe it was clarified or at least implied that players can use Perform however they'd like and the policy wouldn't be inforced with personal usage. What they want to avoid are people playing non-SE songs and streaming or uploading it where copyright becomes an issue.

Anyway, I like this initiative and good idea. It'd be nice to see what others come up with for homebrew songs too.

RE: Seeking the Bardic-Inclined for a Collaborative Project - Yian Kutku - 10-29-2017

(10-27-2017, 03:45 AM)Fearthainn Wrote: But the line that severely sends my red flags up in the air that you said was;
" ...we came up with on our own and are willing to give it away without monetization. "

Of course I don't know if it was your choiced words here or if they actually said it.
But if the latter.. Then that is concerning as %/#")(¤.

My choice of words, sorry. Square Enix has said nothing about monetization; I was mainly grasping for a way to take into account the possibility that someone will use the Perform function, record their performance, and then try to sell it for money. Which is definitely a copyright issue.