Hydaelyn Role-Players
We should probably push for a proper server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: We should probably push for a proper server (/showthread.php?tid=20808)

We should probably push for a proper server - PerkPrincess - 10-22-2017

MAN been a while since I've posted here. But decided I might signal boost a post a friend has made, regarding how the forced closure of Balmung/Gilgamesh is really hurting the respective servers. Our economy is so bloated up top side, it's horrendous.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/349907-Locking-Balmung-Gilgamesh-is-not-working

His words are better than mine. But I figure, if you feel the same, make your voice heard here.

Because seriously, we need proper direction from SE. :[

RE: We should probably push for a proper server - Valence - 10-23-2017

Personally I disagree with a lot of the statements or observations made here.

I've seen the economy of smaller servers and I can safely say that while it might seem like a crafter heaven, it's actually crazy expensive for every little thing, or sometimes you can't even find what you're looking for just due to the scarcity of things. Sure, you don't get much competition when you are trying to sell something, but at the same time, demand is lower as well. I actually think that big servers like Balmung have a wonderful and healthy economy. The market is full of everything and the flow of goods is unmatched here.

The argument that a community gets stale... might be true, but I have my doubts. Considering the amount of people rotating on that server, between returners, old sprouts, or just the sheer amount of people in itself, I really, really doubt that it could get stale. If that's what you're afraid of, you'll meet new people all the time.  We are speaking about the tens of thousands here.

Now then, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind at all a RP designated servers but. What if we get one or two? Do you think that every RPer will migrate there all of a sudden? Leave their FCs, houses, contacts, statics, and whatnot? They didn't do it for Mateus or Omega, so why would it work better here? I would even argue that it would work even less since most of the players that actually wanted to transfer already did it.

You would be essentially left with an empty server not filling up.

RE: We should probably push for a proper server - LiadansWhisper - 10-23-2017

I think at the very least we probably need more data centers. Gilgamesh and Balmung really shouldn't be in the same data center with each other.

RE: We should probably push for a proper server - Faye - 10-23-2017

(10-23-2017, 03:45 AM)Valence Wrote: Personally I disagree with a lot of the statements or observations made here.

I've seen the economy of smaller servers and I can safely say that while it might seem like a crafter heaven, it's actually crazy expensive for every little thing, or sometimes you can't even find what you're looking for just due to the scarcity of things. Sure, you don't get much competition when you are trying to sell something, but at the same time, demand is lower as well. I actually think that big servers like Balmung have a wonderful and healthy economy. The market is full of everything and the flow of goods is unmatched here.

The argument that a community gets stale... might be true, but I have my doubts. Considering the amount of people rotating on that server, between returners, old sprouts, or just the sheer amount of people in itself, I really, really doubt that it could get stale. If that's what you're afraid of, you'll meet new people all the time.  We are speaking about the tens of thousands here.

Now then, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind at all a RP designated servers but. What if we get one or two? Do you think that every RPer will migrate there all of a sudden? Leave their FCs, houses, contacts, statics, and whatnot? They didn't do it for Mateus or Omega, so why would it work better here? I would even argue that it would work even less since most of the players that actually wanted to transfer already did it.

You would be essentially left with an empty server not filling up.

Expensive at least means that someone, somewhere is making money unlike Balmung right now. Mateus did get a pretty good influx of people, and still is where most new players interested in RP are going. Besides, wouldn't it be better if not every role-player on Balmung migrated to the hypothetical official RP server? It means the strain would be divided between two servers and not all lumped onto one.

Though I agree with Liadan, Gilgamesh and Balmung definitely do not need to be on the same data center (though I guess moving one might cause too many issues).

RE: We should probably push for a proper server - ArmachiA - 10-23-2017

Balmung's economy is a buyers market. Which is great for people buying, but not really for people making or gathering up the goods. Markets crash pretty much over night once people get wind of the new <thing> that's needed for whatever. THAT BEING SAID, that doesn't mean you can't make money on Balmung. I mean... look at all the people who bought large personal homes, they have to be getting money from somewhere. It's harder though and if you don't have the time, it's near impossible.

I wouldn't say the community is getting stale. I WOULD say FC recruitment has slowed down for a lot of people - including mine. Talking to other FC leads, it's harder to get fresh blood into their FC because a. People are already in an FC they like or B. They've heard of you and already know you aren't for them, but there aren't new people coming in who you are for. I don't think it's impossible, it will just make FCs either grow with the new changes or disappear somewhere. Overall stagnation though? I don't think we're at that point yet.

RE: We should probably push for a proper server - Lydia Lightfoot - 10-23-2017

Balmung and Gilgamesh are fine being on the same datacenter. The problem is that the active population per server in the JP datacenter hovers around 8k average, whereas NA it's around 12k average (I forget what I'd mathed EU to be, this was from a discussion a few days ago). The simple fact therefore is that we need to add 50% more new servers to the NA datacenter. 

The only other major issue for people is housing. The way they did it during the 4.0 launch wasn't appealing to very many players, because many of us (yo!) went out of our way to get a very specific location, and merely being returned the gil we spent on the spot gives no guarantee at all that on the destination server we'll get the same spot. SE doesn't get it. Violation of TOS or not, I've had offers of well over 200 million gil for my FC house, I'm sure as heck not taking a 20 million refund (unless the server is literally shutting down and I have no other option - 20 is better than zero). Possession of the location can be priceless.

If they added the necessary servers and implemented transfer incentives which were actually comprehensive, they'd probably see a lot more success stabilizing the populations.