Hydaelyn Role-Players
[ Journal ] Snippets of a Baker's Diary - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: [ Journal ] Snippets of a Baker's Diary (/showthread.php?tid=20889)

[ Journal ] Snippets of a Baker's Diary - Casanova Sandwich - 11-04-2017

Entry I
8th Sun of the 3rd Umbral Moon
 Dear Diary,

The desert is...colder than I thought it would be. After traversing the swamp of Rootslake, I've finally made it out of the Black Shroud. Though, by the time I got to Wallow-wick Wood(?) (I think that's the name?), it was pouring down rain. I could hardly see 4 fulms in front of me. It was all grey!

I hope such a situation wouldn't worry Ma and Pa too much. They said they don't doubt me, but...

It still feels as though they expect a lot from me, especially when Satoto and Eytoto looked up to me so much back on the farm. I hope even more that everyone is doing well without me. I was the former resource manager, after all. It wasn't a task suited for me, I think, but it made me feel like I had a purpose. It also taught me skills without which I don't think I'd be able to survive on my own. I thank the Matron every day for having such a wonderful family and a flourishing business.

Still wishing to start my own, if She wills it, I will make for Ul'dah by daybreak. 'Til then, I seek refuge at Highbridge. If the storm still rages on, so be it. I'm not stubborn (I don't think so, anyway...), but since the last Calamity, a majority of passengers on board the ferry to Limsa Lominsa have been adventurers. Not that that's a problem (though seeing an influx of soldiers can be a bit really intimidating); it just means I have to act fast if I want a ticket soon, lest I get stuck in Ul'dah for a moon or two. Eykeke says they had begun making reservations favoring those working directly with the Eorzean Alliance. If she is correct, I pray I will be fast enough so I won't have to spend my days scrambling for a seat on the next ferry.

For now, I pray Nophica bestows upon me Her earthly guidance.

- Eylili

RE: [ Journal ] Snippets of a Baker's Diary - Casanova Sandwich - 11-04-2017

Entry III

11th Sun of the 3rd Umbral Moon
 Dear Diary,

Well, I've made it to Limsa Lominsa! After I had achieved membership with the Culinarians' Guild two years prior, my application to work at the Bismarck has finally gotten through! I know how busy they are, but I had begun to fear, since I had sent it roughly a moon ago. I hope my frequent letters to check on them weren't too bothersome...

I don't mind so much a position as a waitress. In a way, it suits me; I get to meet new people from all over, especially since Limsa Lominsa is practically Eorzea's front door to other nations overseas. Can you believe that on my first day, I've met somebody from Hingashi? Luckily, they spoke good Common Eorzean, and to hear them speak of their home was magnificent. How the marketplace was lit by lanterns alone at night, everyone traversing the streets in elegant robes, the women with parasols. I think the part that enamored me the most was their description of the 'geisha'; female performers who appear as they they've walked out of a painting. As opposed to 'walk', maybe 'glided' is an even better word. Their robes are apparently so intricate and flowing, they wear very tall clogs when outdoors so that it doesn't trail in the dirt. Every motion they make is extremely controlled and especially trained, so that even setting tables looks like a performance of utter grace! How splendid! Though it is most likely a distant dream, if I ever go to Hingashi, I'd really love to see one myself. Maybe even get the chance to hire one! (Of course, they're probably super expensive...) That being said, because many of us migrated from the south seas to Eorzea, I don't think there's very many Hingan Plainsfolk, much less Dunesfolk. Still, I wonder if Lalafellin geiko exist? Hm...

Nonetheless, I'm content in Limsa Lominsa. My great great grandparents (father's side, of course) came from here to Gridania to study botany and found Mountain's Edge Orchard. Grandma had gone back to work with the Culinarians' Guild, thus she trained me in the art of cooking while my other sisters worked the fields. One thing I certainly don't miss from Gridania is the roguing... many say they're 'just plants', but honestly, having to uproot sick or deformed trees (all they did was grow, it's what plants do!) is kind of sad, but we have to burn them so the others don't get infected, after all. I do hope my sisters are managing well without me. I'm the only one without a twin/quadruplet, so I think Grandma figured I was pretty lonely working by myself, so she taught me how to help out the farm indoors. Hopefully their work load hasn't grown since I've left... in any case, I just got some cinnamon tea from Ul'dah that I'm going to mail to them this Firesday, that they can drink during their downtime and to show I'm still thinking of them! Meanwhile, I got Ma a shawl from Sunsilk Tapestries and Pa a silver-rimmed box of frankincense from Sapphire Avenue. I hope they like their souvenirs! (I'm doing a lot of hoping recently... I should do more 'doing'!)

- Eylili

P.S. - It's 'Wellwick Wood', actually!